Thoughs on this brooch?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today I don't know if it looks ivory or if it's big lighter what I know it's old however I don't know where to go from there? Any thoughts?

image-1740939794.jpg

image-2833846850.jpg

image-4242372869.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
In all honesty, it has the appearance of old Ivory as Ivory yellows with age but you really need to inspect it using the information in the links below and probably test it. You could try the old heated pin/needle test on the back where in the event that it is not Ivory, any test spot will go unnoticed. Just heat a pin and stick it to the Ivory, if it leaves a burn/melt spot or gives off a plastic or burnt hair smell, then it is not Ivory. There is also the Black Light test which is also noted in 1st link.

Real Or Repro ~ Identifying Fakes and Reproductions

3 Ways to Tell Ivory from Bone - wikiHow

How to Tell if IVORY is Genuine or Not... Includes Pics | eBay

Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many imitation ivory pieces will also yellow with age. I threw vegetable ivory out there because it's a not so common material and since beach handles a lot of jewelry, I figured he would already know if it was actual ivory.

The overall (close up) quality of these photos when enlarged are poor and do not show enough detail for me to think this is ivory, French, Vegetable or natural. Not to mention the glossy, shiny appearance of the piece itself. I would be more inclined to think it is just plain celluloid, since nothing I see (when enlarged) shows any hint of lines or graining of any type.

So I would ask Beach...

1- Do you see any type of graining in it at all? and if so...

2- Can you take a better quality close up? Use a magnifying glass in front of your camera, I do.

PS- Beach, The "talk text" you use is as bad as mine is and your posts should be proofread before posting.
What should this read exactly? "I don't know if it looks ivory or if it's big lighter"

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I will take some better pictures later today when we get back home. Sorry for being dyslexic. I swear I read them over and don't ever catch what I do wrong. Read to quick I guess.

I mean it does seem like ivory to me however I've never seen anything more it looks like two pieces or just one piece open like that. There is a store down here that specializes in that stuff. I may stop by and see him since I will loose my account if I sell it on eBay.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Beachkid23; It is not Ivory. It is a brooch from the 1940's. They were faux jewelry made for the masses ok. My own mother had one. They were very popular into the 1960's. Nice find. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Beachkid23; It is not Ivory. It is a brooch from the 1940's. They were faux jewelry made for the masses ok. My own mother had one. They were very popular into the 1960's. Nice find. PEACE:RONB

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you every have any doubt as to whether something is natural (ivory, stone, pearl, etc..) or artificial (plastic, cellulose, bakelite, etc).. tap it gently on your teeth.

plastic feels soft,

Ivory, stone, and pearl feel hard.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I listed it as celluloid. Sold for $29.99 w/ $3 shipping. I'm happy with that. If someone can make more then cool. It sold in 16 hrs. Instead of 16 seconds. Those are the ones you know were too low!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I listed it as celluloid. Sold for $29.99 w/ $3 shipping. I'm happy with that. If someone can make more then cool. It sold in 16 hrs. Instead of 16 seconds. Those are the ones you know were too low!
Thanks for the update Beachkid! I have several pieces of what appears to be Ivory that I can't sell as "faux Ivory" on eBay anymore.They killed my last auction last week. I will list it as celluloid and see if I get any bites!

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a nice find but unfortunately on eBay you can not sell real ivory but still a great find:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread