Thought I had my first silver dollar, but not quite:-(

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
With the last decent day this year (at least with my busy schedule coming up), I headed out to a location where a Boy Scout camp was which was abandoned around the 1960s. The whole area is now woods. Halfdime knows the place;-). I decided to hit up a different section of the woods with some evidence of grass, so I thought it was probably a field back in the day. First signal was a +94 on my XLT, which is around a silver dollar reading. Just under the thin layer of grassy dirt was a layer of light gravel. I flipped out the first inch or two of this and a large silver disc came out and flipped onto the side of my hole. I saw a reeded edge, and a dirty silver coin the size of a dollar. Yes, folks, I really was convinced I had found my first silver dollar! Now was it a Morgan or a Peace!?! Waaaaiiiitttt....why does my silver dollar have a big 'Burger King' logo on it? Reality set it. I had only found a Burger King token from 1983 good for one FREE Breakfast beverage with any purchase. Crap! Probably dropped by a hunter back in the '80s.

picture228.jpg

picture229.jpg

Slightly disappointed, I head down to the creek running through the site. I was working my way up the creek for a little bit, walking through the frigid water in my waterproof boots (a necessity this time of year). I got a half dollar signal this time in the gravel just on the edge of the water. As I started to move the gravel, the water filled up my digging location. So I was kind of blindly pulling out scoops of gravel and mud, but this next token came up from only about 2 inches down. Does anyone know ANYTHING about it at all? I can't find anything out about it. It was found outside Pittsburgh, PA and is slightly larger than a half dollar.

picture226.jpg

picture227.jpg

Kept looking around for a few hours but only came up with a newer Lincoln Memorial Cent, a bunch of shotgun shells and this 'DEER-COY' object, presumably dropped by a hunter, but I can't figure out how it works or what you do with it.

picture230.jpg

Any help on that one would be great, too!

Good luck to all in 2008!

Upvote 0
No wonder BK has never been able to beat out McDonald's -- they used to waste their money minting silver dollars instead of printing coupons! :)

Nice finds. That could be a tax token. Not sure. I LOVE the DeerCoy. Quirky stuff like that always looks great under glass.

Congrats!

Cheers and HH,
Bman

I thought the Deer- Coy thing was a pretty neat find, It was used for heating up deer scent with the old Jon-E handwarmers. Cool find...here is a picture.......

Attachments

• deer-coy.jpg
    deer-coy.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 740
that second token is an arcade token. i have found several. there would have been a star in the center that is missing now. at fairs and circusus and places like that there were machines that you would put a coin in and a blank token would drop down and you could stamp whatever message you wanted on the token. here is a pic of one i have found.

Attachments

• 04-11-2006 05;54;49PM.jpg
    04-11-2006 05;54;49PM.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 702
  • 04-11-2006 05;54;49PM.jpg
    04-11-2006 05;54;49PM.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 699
The second one is a token sold at fairs, amusement parts and the like throughout the mid 20th century. You pay your quarter (or dime way back when) and then you could stamp in whatever you wanted all the way around the outside. I have found quite a few, some X rated verbiage :)
The center is gone on yours but a lot of them have a horseshoe on one side and "Good Luck" on the other... or some other insignias... it's a good luck piece!

Nice finds there! Love the Deer thingie. That's really cool!

Smiles!
BDoo

The 1937 goodie looks like one of those aluminum punch out id tags that you drop a coin in the machine, rotate a dial for the letter you want, then pull a handle to stamp one letter at a time. I have found several of these, but never one with the center removed like this one. I think most have a star of some kind in the center if I remember right. I have made these id tags when I was a kid. Some of the ones I have found have been quite amusing.
I like the kind of hunting you are doing. Nice finds.... HH Highwater

Some pretty cool finds there Doc.With interest, that token ought to be worth a Whopper by now!

Thanks everyone!

As you can see, the token from 1937 is somewhat dented and scratched, probably from sitting in that creekbed since the 30s. That's probably how it lost its star as well. The 'GLEN OLIVER' must have been the person's name who made the token. He probably brought it to scout camp one summer while his dad was out fighting in World War II and dropped it while playing in the creek. You just never know...which is part of the fun of this hobby!

DrDetector ...

Know all to well the high +90 VDI and frantic diggin to get that "has to be a silver dollar !!!" target only to dig anything but :'(
Still a pretty cool find I think , it is different ;)

Look on the bright side...in 3 - 400 years that BK coin is gonna be worth a small fortune !
Like the token too

Merry Holidays :)

D.

LOL on the dollar thats too funny,
i know how you feel i found a gold coin once and all most pood but it was a brass coin from another country

see if there a glen oliver in the local phone book

So you went back to that !@#$%^& place! ;D. Bummer about the "silver dollar" but you can try to use it at Northern Lights! Too bad the Sewickley BK closed! I've found a bunch of those lucky tokens; some of the other posts shed the proper light on them. Next time we get together, I'll show you a few. I got a heads up on a potential great spot, but there might be a time limit; I'll PM you about it. Have a great Christmas and trip to FLA.

to bad it wasnt a silver dollar :-\ but still very nice finds ! love them old tokens ;) congrats

Yes I have had those heart stopper coins that turned out to be about what like you found. It is a thrill for those first few seconds!

KFB

BURGER KING (logo)(R) (C)1983 BURGER KING CORPORATION
Qty Description
8 A 39 Sd

Valid During Breakfast Hours Only Redeem For One Free Breakfast Beverage With Any Purchase At Participating Burger King Restaurants
(http://members.iconn.net/~charneyt/tokendup.htm)

1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Glen Fye
Home in 1920: Burnside, Centre, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1911
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: John
Father's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Mother's Name: Minnie
Mother's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members: Name Age
John Fye 39 (father)
Minnie Fye 36 (mother)
Huldoh Fye 16 (dau)
Maud Fye 14 (dau)
Carl Fye 12 (son)
Glen Fye 9 (son)
Tevila Fye 7 (dau)
Bessie Fye 4 5/12 (dau)
Ralph Fye 2 5/12 (son)
Evelyn Fye 5/12 (dau)

Social Security Death Index
Name: Glenn Fye
SSN: 209-07-5808
Last Residence: 16859 Moshannon, Centre, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Born: 31 Mar 1910
Died: Mar 1979
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951 )

Social Security Death Index
Name: Glenn Fye
SSN: 211-05-8816
Last Residence: 16506 Erie, Erie, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Born: 10 Dec 1910
Died: May 1984
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951 )

Found two SSDI listings for a Glen Fye....just not sure which one applies to the census for 1920. The first SSDI I would say matches...only based on the census location and the SSDI death location are one in the same.

Could this be your Glen Oliver Fye??? In 1937...he would have been approx 26. His Dad was a miner.

Now...after adding an "n" to Glenn's first name...I come across this one...and in 1937, he would have been 39 years of age...and my reason leaning to this one...is based on the "O" for the middle name of "Oliver"....

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Glenn O Fye
Age in 1910: 12
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: John W
Father's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Mother's Name: Lucretia
Mother's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Home in 1910: Ashland, Clarion, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John W Fye 51 (father...laborer, odd jobs)
Lucretia Fye 49 (mother0
Rolla W Fye 22 (son)
Iva I Fye 19 (dau)
Ella B Fye 18 (dau)
Earl J Fye 17 (son)
William G Ralston 3 (son)
Grace L Fye 15 (dau)
Glenn O Fye 12 (son)
Harry R Fye 11 (son)
James R Fye 8 (son)

Here's an obit for his brother, Earl....maybe it will give you help if you wish to try and locate a family member...I have to say...the possibility of it being the second census listing would be correct...if the "O" stands for "Oliver".

Would like to know if you pursue this and find a relative....:)...Nice Find!!!

Maybe he took his wife / kids to a local fair??? I'll see if I can locate anything on fairs in that area....and not sure to the census location, and the location of the where you found....the distants of the two.

Attachments

• fye 3a.jpg
    fye 3a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 325
Yeah there is a possibility, sure. Yeah for some reason I wasnt' thinking the FYE could be a last name, but you're right that's much more logical. Too bad there's no way to find out where the token was made.

Hey Dr, since I know you're breathless with anticipation, here's a pic of some of those tokens.

Attachments

• luck (2).jpg
    luck (2).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 327

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back