Thoughts on a section of old wall

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day, all.

Last November, my gal and her brother were in their mom's woods in Maine. She has about 60 acres and I've hunted only a small portion of it to date. All throughout the woods there are many rock walls - the typical, broken down, partly buried in leaves type you are bound to see. They were wandering around in a section that I haven't been in yet and stumbled upon this. My gal claims she didn't know it was there so was fairly excited to show it to me.

Has anyone come across something like this before? Any thoughts? It certainly stands out and I will be there in the spring. From what I can tell on old maps and just walking around the woods, there were no old homes on the property. This is the only picture I have but you can mostly see it transitions from typical stone wall to this...uh...structure? If you told me they were just using up extra stones, it wouldn't surprise me. I just find it curious.

Thanks for any thoughts and happy hunting,

Jay

PART_1545698094216_IMAG1120.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, but I will tell you, you're lucky to have places like that. Down here, practically all landmarks in the woods have been destroyed over the last few decades by clearcutting, raking, replanting with hybrid loblolly pines, clearcutting, raking, replanting...over and over again 'til not a trace of early habitation is left.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that wall is on a slope, that may have been a drain opening to let run off escape through the wall. Using the round stones allows for free flow.

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may have been for a spring. The water table used to be higher than it is now and the spring may have quit flowing. People back then made use of all the springs they could find.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting thought about the spring. I look forward to investigating and thanks for the thoughts.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was probably made by a couple kids that were bored a century and half ago and nothing better to do then place round rocks between the two larger ones. We have all played with rocks. At least I did when younger.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree thats the kind of stuff I did too. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread