What's new

Three day trip to the beach was a severe disappointment

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY ONLY MACHINES
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
4,939
Reaction score
4,609
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and the wife went to beach for 3 days, and nothing much to show for it..
1 Quarter, 1 Dime, 1 Nickel, 3 Pennies and a smattering of trash.. Clearly hypersensitive to small stuff. Note the earring pin ? and small ball earring that looks gold but doesn't seem to hold up to acid, the small earring back, and several targets I couldn't find. The small half ring is supposed to be silver but my acid is not seeming to be testing right.. even known silver is being eaten through...
Although we did not stay in one place long, we went to Hilton Head, SC (dime) Kiawah Island SC (nickel) Isle of Palms SC (pennies) and Folly Island SC (quarter)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6336.webp
    IMG_6336.webp
    689.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_6339.webp
    IMG_6339.webp
    373.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6345 (1).MOV
    5.2 MB
  • IMG_6338.webp
    IMG_6338.webp
    348.8 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 14
I can see jewelry being lost at the beach but who carries coins while wearing bathing suits? Down here in Florida there's not much you could fit into some of the bikinis being worn. I'm not complaining mind you!
 
Me and the wife went to beach for 3 days, and nothing much to show for it..
1 Quarter, 1 Dime, 1 Nickel, 3 Pennies and a smattering of trash.. Clearly hypersensitive to small stuff. Note the earring pin ? and small ball earring that looks gold but doesn't seem to hold up to acid, the small earring back, and several targets I couldn't find. The small half ring is supposed to be silver but my acid is not seeming to be testing right.. even known silver is being eaten through...
Although we did not stay in one place long, we went to Hilton Head, SC (dime) Kiawah Island SC (nickel) Isle of Palms SC (pennies) and Folly Island SC (quarter)
How many hours total detecting time did you put in for these recoveries?
 
How many hours total detecting time did you put in for these recoveries?
Probably a total of 8 hours.. spread between 6 beaches over 3 days
 
Probably a total of 8 hours.. spread between 6 beaches over 3 days
Sometimes less jumping around and to spend more time at a couple of places produces more targets.
Though it seems that the trip accomplished doing many in a short period of time.
 
Me and the wife went to beach for 3 days, and nothing much to show for it..
1 Quarter, 1 Dime, 1 Nickel, 3 Pennies and a smattering of trash.. Clearly hypersensitive to small stuff. Note the earring pin ? and small ball earring that looks gold but doesn't seem to hold up to acid, the small earring back, and several targets I couldn't find. The small half ring is supposed to be silver but my acid is not seeming to be testing right.. even known silver is being eaten through...
Although we did not stay in one place long, we went to Hilton Head, SC (dime) Kiawah Island SC (nickel) Isle of Palms SC (pennies) and Folly Island SC (quarter)
Thanks for the honest post. I have hunted HH and Tybee beaches in the late winter/early spring and it's always slim, but if you find the right spot it can be fun. By this time, almost all of the good stuff has been scooped up and there's hardly anything new being lost. But every now and then you can come across an older deposit of sand that isn't too deep - but you can't tell by looking at the beach surface. With a period of calm weather, it all looks the same! Years ago I found this nice sterling ring in early spring on HH Island. It had obviously been in the sand for a while based on the corrosion.
111.webp
 
Thanks for the honest post. I have hunted HH and Tybee beaches in the late winter/early spring and it's always slim, but if you find the right spot it can be fun. By this time, almost all of the good stuff has been scooped up and there's hardly anything new being lost. But every now and then you can come across an older deposit of sand that isn't too deep - but you can't tell by looking at the beach surface. With a period of calm weather, it all looks the same! Years ago I found this nice sterling ring in early spring on HH Island. It had obviously been in the sand for a while based on the corrosion.View attachment 2240456
Yeah I actually like HH, we have been there several times summer and winter, nice quiet and peaceful. We have only really hunted Colony beach but if I walk an hour and get 3 targets I just feel disappointed 😂
 
Plus I’m an old dog.. 62, and I’ve been hunting since 1985 so it’s not for a lack of experience and I use the XP D II with the elliptical coil which seems to pick up everything even microscopic particles 😂
 
Plus I’m an old dog.. 62, and I’ve been hunting since 1985 so it’s not for a lack of experience and I use the XP D II with the elliptical coil which seems to pick up everything even microscopic particles 😂
Nothing like thinking yourself into an early grave.
Think positive- geez.
 
Yeah I actually like HH, we have been there several times summer and winter, nice quiet and peaceful. We have only really hunted Colony beach but if I walk an hour and get 3 targets I just feel disappointed 😂
Just an FYI, the correct spelling of the beach you mentioned is "Coligny Beach", I live in Bluffton and have live in this area for 51 years, I've seen a LOT of change in that time.

The "Coligny Beach Park" at the entrance to the beach used to be the beach parking lot and where many locals hung out on the weekend drinking beer after the bars closed, especially on Saturday nights, the bars had to close at midnight because no alcohol could be sold on Sunday back then.
 
Just an FYI, the correct spelling of the beach you mentioned is "Coligny Beach", I live in Bluffton and have live in this area for 51 years, I've seen a LOT of change in that time.

The "Coligny Beach Park" at the entrance to the beach used to be the beach parking lot and where many locals hung out on the weekend drinking beer after the bars closed, especially on Saturday nights, the bars had to close at midnight because no alcohol could be sold on Sunday back then.
Me and the wife went to beach for 3 days, and nothing much to show for it..
1 Quarter, 1 Dime, 1 Nickel, 3 Pennies and a smattering of trash.. Clearly hypersensitive to small stuff. Note the earring pin ? and small ball earring that looks gold but doesn't seem to hold up to acid, the small earring back, and several targets I couldn't find. The small half ring is supposed to be silver but my acid is not seeming to be testing right.. even known silver is being eaten through...
Although we did not stay in one place long, we went to Hilton Head, SC (dime) Kiawah Island SC (nickel) Isle of Palms SC (pennies) and Folly Island SC (quarter)
One good thing you had…. “No SNOW!”
 
A little self reflection 🤷🏼‍♂️
I know lots of people that have a decade or 2 on you. They don't think they're old, quite the opposite actually. My own Mrs has 14 on you, fully active and laughs at you.
"Nothing like wishing for an early grave"
Old at 61 🤣
You crack me up sometimes.
 
I know lots of people that have a decade or 2 on you. They don't think they're old, quite the opposite actually.
"Old" seems to be a moving goal post that always stays about 30 years ahead of my current age. So if I'm 30, "old" is 60. If I'm 60, "old" is 90. When I get to 90, I'll let you know if the pattern still holds.
 
I know lots of people that have a decade or 2 on you. They don't think they're old, quite the opposite actually. My own Mrs has 14 on you, fully active and laughs at you.
"Nothing like wishing for an early grave"
Old at 61 🤣
You crack me up sometimes.
And it’s true, 62 May be the new 42 🤷🏼‍♂️ but I’m also a realist… I know people who are now gone who were younger than me and people who have gone who are but just a few years older… when I was 20 I couldn’t even conceptualize being 60 and yet here I am… I’m not trying to be negative I’m just trying to be realistic about life’s possibilities.. We all want to live forever, but we know it’s going to end someday. No one knows that day or hour… that’s why they sell life insurance 😂 even though I don’t have any 🤷🏼‍♂️ I think my comment was more self facing than anything else… not that I think im dying but more like what I think I look like at 62 walking on a beach with a metal detector 😂 “one of those old dudes looking for shit” .. that’s all 🫣🤣
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom