Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I visited a local park on Friday. The last time there, I searched it with the AT PRO. This time I had the DEUS with me. I settled in on a hill that is obviously a nice place to lounge. Hoping for Silver I started to dig some deep targets . Wheat Pennies at eight inches. A good sign and worth a revisit. (Note to self).
Of the 6 Wheat pennies that I recovered, 4 are toast. I was also happy to get 2 tokens, One is a NYC Transit token, and the second is a Good Luck Token. I take this as a sign that this area was cherry picked but the copper and brass targets were ignored. Another good reason to revisit.

IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG IMG_4787.JPG

One shallow target and probably a recent drop was a Humongous Ugly Junk Ring.

Upvote 19

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With what machine can you cherrypick the silver from the wheats? I need to go buy one of those because deep copper coins sound and register just like silver ones. On ocassion I can guess silver correctly but usually not. No problem calling Indians but wheats, memorials and clad dimes are a different story. Nice hunting by the way

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leaving coppers means leaving 2 Cent, farthing, IH, 1/2 Cent---you get the idea. deep hits can become a total different signal as you clear the dirt. might get a Trime, that hits in the copper range. always "hover" the iron hits that most pass by---silver likes to hide behind an iron skirt. great pile of loot

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, time to go back and go steadily and slowly.

aj

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With what machine can you cherrypick the silver from the wheats? I need to go buy one of those because deep copper coins sound and register just like silver ones. On ocassion I can guess silver correctly but usually not. No problem calling Indians but wheats, memorials and clad dimes are a different story. Nice hunting by the way

Oh my, yeah, some think they can. They leave all the signs of trying. All they look for is the highest, clearest vdi's. Fine if one doesn't have time to be bothered, (as they all seem to be). But, my last hunt proved the fallacy. Not only did I dig a bunch of pennies, but junk & brass as well. The thing is, that right in the middle of all those pennies/junk and brass? Was a 90's hit, in all directions! All one had to do was listen inbetween the "garbage". It was a big silver ring!

So, cherry pickers? My hat's off to you and thanks!

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Etrac always gave me a nice high pitched screech when it went over Silver. Even when there was iron trying to mask it. Unless there are multiple targets in the hole,, deep silver dimes will come in at 12 - 45 on the Etrac. A deep wheat or pre- 82 copper penny usually comes in at 12 - 42.
On the CTX 3030 you can sometimes pull a silver dime on a number as low as 12-40. That number will also give you deep pennies.
Even the DEUS, depending on the program you are using, will give you lower tones and numbers on deep brass or copper targets. I was using Program 3, DEUS FAST, which runs on an 18hz frequency.
Yep, different machines have different advantages.
Next time you hunt with a friend who is running
an E-trac, try passing the coil over a silver dime versus a copper penny. You will definitely see and hear a difference.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can usually tell deep brass, copper or any deep junk for that matter on the Deus. The VDI numbers will vary slightly when you rescan the target from another direction. Im guessing due to the objects lack of roundness. Deep wheats and silver coins can have the same VDI in both directions. Shallower wheats are usually lower than silvers though. Most coins over 6-7" give a higher than normal or no VDI on the Deus in my experience.

Sounds like the Minelabs are the machines for cherrypickers but no way there getting all the silvers if there only digging 12-45s

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like another good hunt ATW. You are probably correct about the place being cherry picked. Mayve go back with the Deus, slow down, and listen for the deep iffy's in full tones.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another good hunt ATW. You are probably correct about the place being cherry picked. Mayve go back with the Deus, slow down, and listen for the deep iffy's in full tones.

This hunt was with the DEUS,, lol

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever they say ,I say the really great detectors CANtell the difference between silver and copper 90 percent of the time .Get MINELAB AND SEE.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING AND WELL WORTH THE HUNT.. COOL.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever they say ,I say the really great detectors CANtell the difference between silver and copper 90 percent of the time .Get MINELAB AND SEE.

Heck he has 3 minelabs in his arsenal. Kinda like preaching to the choir.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ATW. Nice tokes...I hope you keep REAPing the wheat and other good finds. Good Luck. C9

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice token! I remember using that style bro. Cheers

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. I love it when people leave goodies behind. If I am too tired to dig I go home and hunt another day.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work. Different day, same machine, same area, after a good soaking rain, might produce. Different day, different machine, same area, might produce. I know you know, you know what I mean?
Ha, I'm working on some new permissions, this winter should be fun again, Iv'e got a couple dives I have to get in that might produce, besides my regular lake.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck he has 3 minelabs in his arsenal. Kinda like preaching to the choir.

Yeah, and ya know what? Some of us with the "lesser" machines, humbly give thanks for that 10 percent. I have no problems with finding that 10 percent. :notworthy: Thank you! I am quite the happy camper and so are Blingie & Fishy. :)

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! I heard of the E-Trac silver cherry pickers in our area, they couldn't get it all but man there were too many parks full of Wheaties with a stray Merc once in awhile.

Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread