Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation must be laughing their A$$ off. I don't know if it is an actual attempt to be deceptive or maybe the people who work for NYCP&R are just plain ignorant.

It was met with great applause and excitement when the new list of permissible parks where we can metal detect was announced in January of 2016. I must admit I was really happy to see the number of new parks increase from 35 parks in 2015 to 162 parks in 2016. I was thinking, "The new Parks Commissioner may have put the word out to his borough commissioners to Stop Discriminating against the passive hobby of metal detecting. With so many new parks on the list, it seemed to me that we were finally making headway into being treated like everyone else who uses the parks for recreation.

All that glitters is not Gold. That became evident to me as I started to investigate the new additions on line prior to physically visiting the site. Most of the parks that are listed as "Playgrounds," consist of benches, a few trees to provide shade, playground equipment, no lawns, and mostly paved or concrete walkways. These so called "Neighborhood Parks" are usually less than an acre, and provide very little, if any legitimate search areas. There are probably 30 to 40 of these "Community Concrete Islands," (Parks), on our new list. I also uncovered parks that are listed twice, under different names of course.
I definitely feel as though these misleading additions to our Metal Detector List are a deliberate attempt by some people in the NYCP&R administration to perhaps deceive the Borough Commissioners, The Metal Detecting Community, or perhaps both.

I really can't understand why some people who work for a government agency seem to have a need to attempt to deceive the public that they are employed to serve.
Numerous new additions to the list of parks that are now open to metal detecting are parks that have areas that are designated as "Forever Wild"

These are inaccessible acres of land that are separated from the park goer by chain link fences and signs. I visited such a park on Wednesday. I was disappointed to say the least. Pugsley Creek Park, according to the NYCP & R website is listed as an 83.6 acre park. Because of the
"Forever Wild" fences and paved areas, you may be able to access 15 acres. Most it that 15 acres is obviously where the city decided to move some dirt and fill around to cover the trash that was dumped there over years of neglect. This park received a facelift back in the 90's as well as upgrades. This is when the fill and trash cover occurred. That was pretty obvious to me when I started to date the types of beer cans and nips that I dug. I wonder how much was paid for a revitalization of a park, that was simply made to appear aesthetically appealing.
There are numerous other problems that have been uncovered during my 2016 visits to new parks on the list. Some are evidence of ongoing illegal activities and others are just plain neglect. I guess I'm going to have to ask "The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation" to review and confirm my observations and perhaps ask The New York City Parks Department for an explanation.
Here are the results of a 3 hour hunt in areas that were loaded with trash, as well as a few pictures of Pugsley Creek Park.

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG IMG_4789.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 12
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see the problem with the "concrete" parks. (Check my equipment list ;) )

As far as politicians go? Stop trying to figure out why they do ANYthing. The ABSOLUTE AND ONLY job they have is to get reelected. Doesn't matter how. EVERY other thing is secondary at best. :dontknow: It's why this "voice in the wilderness" has been saying that we, as a whole, had BETTER be thinking about organized response to what's coming.IMO of course.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too early to call ''DECEPTION'', could be just plain incompetence or lack of time & resources to do a double check or peer review.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember that government employees are not paid for their competency......

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If City rules or fences keep you from detecting where you want to, that is your fault. Several of us detect Central Park frequently, and have NEVER been stopped or questioned because we are careful to study the parks department schedules and patrolling habits. Prospect Park and Van Cortlandt are no different. I've been involved with the "Task Force" since 2011. They have not made a noticeable difference - In my opinion. This group doesn't hold a lot of sway over the NYC millionaire wives we are up against. Just do your thing. Be smart, cover your tracks, and have fun. :skullflag:

Attachments

• NYC1.jpg
    NYC1.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 82
  • nyc2.jpg
    nyc2.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If City rules or fences keep you from detecting where you want to, that is your fault. Several of us detect Central Park frequently, and have NEVER been stopped or questioned because we are careful to study the parks department schedules and patrolling habits. Prospect Park and Van Cortlandt are no different. I've been involved with the "Task Force" since 2011. They have not made a noticeable difference - In my opinion. This group doesn't hold a lot of sway over the NYC millionaire wives we are up against. Just do your thing. Be smart, cover your tracks, and have fun. :skullflag:

Thanks for the feedback Terry. I know that you have been a factor in making gains for the metal detecting community.
I hunted Central Park many years ago. It was before there was a threat of possible arrest, equipment confiscation, and fines. That park now falls under the jurisdiction of The National Parks Service.
I have seen a few victories that were brought about as a result of Task Force intervention across the United States as well as right here in NYC.
I will try to continue to work with them in bringing about change. The Parks Department has key people in place that I have interacted with on numerous occassions. Some of them want you to think that they have the authority to make decisions that are discriminatory. My continued interaction has created a paper trail that may come back to bite them in the A$$.
They continue to cater to Conservancies, Community Associations, and Politicians. Many parks receive funding that can be disrupted if a case of discrimination is brought against them. If terms like "Historical Significance" are used to stop a passive activity like metal detecting, then it should be equally applied to stop baseball, football, soccer, and any other activity that destroys turf and creates noise.
I have challenged personnel in the Parks' Department Administration to point out a place in NYC that hasn't been touched by an historical event that doesn't have some sort of "Historical Significance "

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you got out again, but sorry to hear about the concrete and fenced off areas. I am surprised to not have seen a post of you on the road hunting in other areas besides NY.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you got out again, but sorry to hear about the concrete and fenced off areas. I am surprised to not have seen a post of you on the road hunting in other areas besides NY.
I have 2 trips booked. One is upstate NY in September and the other is in Pennsylvania in October. I'm looking forward to getting away. Thanks

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I really can't understand why some people who work for a government agency seem to have a need to attempt to deceive the public that they are employed to serve.

I'd hazard a guess that there were lawyers involved in deciding what is and what isn't.

They decide all the other rules based on protecting their clients from lawsuits, while filing lawsuits against non clients.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just say you are here illegally and Mayor Dorkball said you can have "sanctuary" in the parks, plus you are buds with Senator Chucky Cheeseface. would love to dig NYC parks, but the Governor says I can't bring a Barrett 50 with 100 round drums :--(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread