What's new

Time to Dump the 40s Melt or sell? hmmmm.

jewelerdave

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
850
Reaction score
98
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well I have to make a choice, I have a full box of 40s now and its just sitting there. They are ugly, dingy, and heavy. But worth a bit over 2 grand And a nice pile of 90s worth about 800.

I could keep them in the vault....or I could bury them outside somewhere, probably a park that is out of sight by a big tree...or I could send em in for melt. (dont worry, the babrbers and walkers are safe) But the Kens and bens just have to go.

melt is going to pay the best since they dont sell for crap on Ebay....Anyone got any better ideas then melt?
 
Upvote 0
I would see if I could go to the local coin dealer and trade em for some morgans the 40% or try selling them on ebay by the roll.
 
Local coin dealer only pays 75 cents each for em, hence why there are probably so many around here.
 
Hi Dave,
I agree about the 40's (get more hunting $$$), but the 90's, silver $ is better than paper. I'm in the same boat, I've got a huge bill coming and if I pay it I won't be able to hunt. I am torn but the 40's gotta go. HH Mark
 
Why don't you two get together and make a bag out of them. My guess is that the local dealer will pay closer to APMEX buy ~75-100 for a full bag.

65GT350
 
jewelerdave said:
Local coin dealer only pays 75 cents each for em, hence why there are probably so many around here.
Time to get a new coin dealer.

My HONEST local dealer should be paying $1.73 for 40% & $4.62 for 90% halves right now. (he gave me a formula based on silver spot)
 
not a bad price but the melt is still a better deal even after shipping and fees
 
If you don't mind what will you net on the 40% by sending them to the smelter? I always thought that the lot charges and other added costs made the melting of small lots impracticable.

65GT350
 
65gt350 said:
If you don't mind what will you net on the 40% by sending them to the smelter? I always thought that the lot charges and other added costs made the melting of small lots impracticable.

65GT350
Dave's a jeweler, he's probably gonna melt them himself. :)
 
Check out Bullion Direct's Nucleo Exchange:

https://www.bulliondirect.com/nucleo/

Prices fluctuate with spot. $10 face 40% silver has a bid of $39.45 right now, but it was $41.something a week ago. BD takes 1% and you have to ship it, but bash that against eBay/PayPal fees. They will store PMs for free, so you can ship it all and sell it whenever the price meets your target. They'll send you a check, or you can buy other PMs with your proceeds.

I think it's pretty cool.

HH,
Wally
 
My Bro just today sold some rolls to a dealer for $38 per roll of 40's. I htink he said they were giving $98 for 90%ers. PM Rosco Bookbinder for details.
 
Hang onto them for a bit if you can- the price is gonna peak in a few months.
 
Jeffro said:
Hang onto them for a bit if you can- the price is gonna peak in a few months.
I'm saving mine for another 6 or 7 years until I retire.
 
Do you mean $9.05 per $1.00 face (2 coins) 90%
$3.30 per $1.00 face (2 coins) 40%

Because your prices seem about 2x the value per coin.
 
FifaMexico said:
Do you mean $9.05 per $1.00 face (2 coins) 90%
$3.30 per $1.00 face (2 coins) 40%

Because your prices seem about 2x the value per coin.

That is per face dollar, I'm sure. That's how most junk silver is quoted. I just sold a bag of 40%r's for $3,800 locally to a precious metal dealer. No fees!
 
acute collector said:
With a spot price of $13.26 I would buy all the 40% you have for $3.30/1.
90% you have for $9.05/1


Payment in US Dollars on a US Postal Service Check

gork3@hotmail.com
Is that your prediction of what silver is gonna close at today? We're already down .39 for the day. HH Mark
 
diggummup said:
65gt350 said:
If you don't mind what will you net on the 40% by sending them to the smelter? I always thought that the lot charges and other added costs made the melting of small lots impracticable.

65GT350
Dave's a jeweler, he's probably gonna melt them himself. :)

I read his question as if he was going to send them to be melted. I also thought that if sent them in he would have the option of either getting material (Au,Pt,Ag) or cash back. Since Dave is a jeweler it doesn't matter if he leaves a paper trail showing the exchange.

I am interested in the net result of whatever the exchange was for (cash, gold maples, gold shot. etc..). From my research most dealers expect you to pay a premium on both sides of the trade. Buy your 40% @ x behind spot and sell you Gold Maples @ x over spot. If Dave has a way to get paid closer to full value for the sell side of the equation it just means that I would be able to buy more gold.

65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom