What's new

Tin/copper bust from treasureship

vocship

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this when I was diving on a VOC treasure shipwreck that sunk in the early 1700s. I think it is made of tin and copper. Do someone know what this is? Have someone seen something like this before? Do someone know the value? Look at the picture.
 

Attachments

  • Bust.webp
    Bust.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 492
  • Bust.webp
    Bust.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Bust.webp
    Bust.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 458
I bet that Crusader, Hispan or Silver Searcher could help you out with this one.
You might want to PM Cru on this.

Welcome to Tnet :hello: and best of luck with this one.

Cheers,
Dave
 
Upvote 0
It will help to post a pic of the back as well.
 
Upvote 0
My first reaction is Louis XIV, but that's probably because I have seen him the most.
 
Upvote 0
My first reaction is Louis XIV, but that's probably because I have seen him the most.
:icon_scratch:

Hmmm..........have you been looking at pictures of Louis XIV in drag.......again.....or Queen IsaFella.....LOL?

Seems this "bust" here has......um......."busts"! :tongue3:

Check out the necklace as well. Please feel free correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, "guys" weren't wearing flashy bling like this prior to the 1980's and the intro of the rap culture (unless one counts the hippie beads in the late '60's, and I'm quite certain this "bust" predates that too). ;D

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
CC Hunter said:
My first reaction is Louis XIV, but that's probably because I have seen him the most.
:icon_scratch:

Hmmm..........have you been looking at pictures of Louis XIV in drag.......again.....or Queen IsaFella.....LOL?

Seems this "bust" here has......um......."busts"! :tongue3:

Check out the necklace as well. Please feel free correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, "guys" weren't wearing flashy bling like this prior to the 1980's and the intro of the rap culture (unless one counts the hippie beads in the late '60's, and I'm quite certain this "bust" predates that too). ;D

CC Hunter



Actually Louis XIV did have breasts until 1712 when he had a reduction :-\
 
Upvote 0
CC Hunter said:
My first reaction is Louis XIV, but that's probably because I have seen him the most.
:icon_scratch:

Hmmm..........have you been looking at pictures of Louis XIV in drag.......again.....or Queen IsaFella.....LOL?

Seems this "bust" here has......um......."busts"! :tongue3:

Check out the necklace as well. Please feel free correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, "guys" weren't wearing flashy bling like this prior to the 1980's and the intro of the rap culture (unless one counts the hippie beads in the late '60's, and I'm quite certain this "bust" predates that too). ;D

CC Hunter


I've had a series of brain crap moments in the last 24 hours so I am ok with it! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CC Hunter said:
My first reaction is Louis XIV, but that's probably because I have seen him the most.
:icon_scratch:

Hmmm..........have you been looking at pictures of Louis XIV in drag.......again.....or Queen IsaFella.....LOL?

Seems this "bust" here has......um......."busts"! :tongue3:

Check out the necklace as well. Please feel free correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, "guys" weren't wearing flashy bling like this prior to the 1980's and the intro of the rap culture (unless one counts the hippie beads in the late '60's, and I'm quite certain this "bust" predates that too). ;D

CC Hunter


I've had a series of brain crap moments in the last 24 hours so I am ok with it! :laughing7:



I was trying to back you up there IP! Now I just look stupid :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Actually Louis XIV did have breasts until 1712 when he had a reduction

:read2:

Possibly the interpretation of history is a bit amiss. When the records state that the "Royal Monarch experienced a severe reduction in assets due to a sagging economic period"................. I believe they were in fact referencing the shrinking of the wealth. :D

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
CC Hunter said:
Actually Louis XIV did have breasts until 1712 when he had a reduction

:read2:

Possibly the interpretation of history is a bit amiss. When the records state that the "Royal monarch experienced a severe reduction in assets due to a sagging economic period", I believe they were in fact referencing the shrinking of the wealth. :D

CC Hunter



Oh.....silly me :-[ :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Her is a picture from the back. As you can see, it is hollow.
 

Attachments

  • back.webp
    back.webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 347
  • Right after dive.webp
    Right after dive.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0
I've had a series of brain crap moments in the last 24 hours so I am ok with it! :laughing7:

No worries CC, but as a precautionary measure it might be wise to get a second opinion or two from your buddies before going on any new dates for at least another 24 hours.....LOL :wink: :laughing7:

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
Is that a nail hole in the bottom?
 
Upvote 0
CC Hunter said:
I've had a series of brain crap moments in the last 24 hours so I am ok with it! :laughing7:

No worries CC, but as a precautionary measure it might be wise to get a second opinion or two from your buddies before going on any new dates for at least another 24 hours.....LOL :wink: :laughing7:

CC Hunter


Even if they own a nice shiny avatar car?
 
Upvote 0
Rasputin said:
Looks like spelter to me.

I was thinking Zinc also. :icon_thumright: Looks as if it might have been attached to a piece of furniture as an embellishment, considering the small nail holes in the bottom and the sides. Possibly a clock or a chest of some type. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Is that a nail hole in the bottom?

Yes, there are three nail holes. One theory that have been mentioned of one of the old and experienced divers is that the bust have propably been attached to a jewellery box or a chest. And it is picture of the owner of the chest. Maybe a very prosperous woman on board. Perhaps the captains wife or something.
 
Upvote 0
Lead (or Lead-alloy) applique (or mount) but to what?

This type of decoration is very much in the style of the 18th century figureheads which adorned some of the boats. Most likely a generic female figure which the sailors would admire.

http://art-posters-prints.posteravatar.com/i_1739191.php

Problem is it could have mounted to so many things, without an expert eye who has seen similar insitu, I would just be guessing.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom