What's new

Tiny one

Wallhangers

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
897
Reaction score
59
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a little one I found today. It fits inside of a dime and has the rounded point, kinda like the blunt or stunner head but it's sharp too. Found an old post from Larson showing a lot of the small points found by some of you, pretty cool. Found 6 other points and 3 scrapers but I will limit what I post since this site is seeming a little quiet right now.

 
Upvote 0
nice.... I thought the 1 I found a couple days ago was small.

ForumRunner_20120603_001427.webp
 
I have tried my hand at knapping I can't get over how controlled and precise you have to be to do that
 
I have tried my hand at knapping I can't get over how controlled and precise you have to be to do that
Secondary flaking is the hardest as stiking to remove flakes from the back of the piece takes a lot of control. While entire points can be made this way, pressure flaking with the tip of an antler is easier and usually used for the edge or for making very small points from thin flakes. the hardest part for me working with volcanic glass was getting shards from the parent rock that are suitable for making points. It must be struck at a precise angle to spall off long thin pieces, while the cone of percussion has a tendency to cause a curved shard. I am sure you have seen that shape on many scapers.
 
yes.. especially uni-faced ones. believe me I went through a lot of waste.
 
I have a good example. I wanted to post this anyway. I like this piece. I found it incased in sandstone. I just saw a piece of it and chipped away until it revealed itself. I like the material. and the longitudal flaking.

ForumRunner_20120603_070716.webp

that's a fossil shell inclusion on the top. I always wondered how they made sense of those must have seemed pretty mystifying

ForumRunner_20120603_070816.webp



ForumRunner_20120603_070902.webp
 
You had a good eye. Thanks for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom