Tips for Nugget Shooting NW Arizona

cwp1979

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm headed out west next month to spend 4 days metal detecting. We're staying in Laughlin, NV and will likely spend most of our time in the Gold Basin area. We went on the same trip last year with no luck. I do have a better machine this time (Minelab Xterra 705 gold pack) but I was hoping for some tips on finding productive spots. There's 1000's of acres of nothing out there and I have no idea what a good spot looks like. For example, is it good to cover the areas at the foot of mountains? Also, are the washes good areas to search? Also, if anybody knows any other good areas within an hour and a half of Laughlin I would be very interested.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like Terry says--then you'll have an in and won't have to worry.

All the best,

Lanny

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
I think the biggest problem will be the weather. I live 40 miles south of Gold Basin and the temp tonight is expected to hit 14 degrees. The high tomorrow and for the next few days is expected to be in the low 30's.

OP
OP
C

cwp1979

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like you're getting some cold weather! We'll be there Feb 18th to 21st. We were there the same week last year and afternoon temps were 60's and comfortable with a sweatshirt. Hopefully this cold snap ends before I get there.

Any thoughts on the best types of terrain to search (washes, plateaus, foot of hill) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may also find meteorites in the Gold Basin. Check with Terry S. I hesitate to pinpoint the locations of space rocks found by GPAA members for obvious reasons. As with any placering in AZ, usually in the washes. Gold basin is a good place. As Terry said, do not trespass. They are serious about that in AZ. Good luck. TTC

OP
OP
C

cwp1979

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I'm sending my check to Mohave Prospectors Assn tomorrow. We were GPAA members last year but had a tough time finding the claims. Honestly of the 3 days we spent in Arizona there was only time that I was 100% certain I was on a GPAA claim. The $75 renewal fee was a bit salty so I am happy to pay $35 to MPA for the opportunity to search their land.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. I'm sending my check to Mohave Prospectors Assn tomorrow. We were GPAA members last year but had a tough time finding the claims. Honestly of the 3 days we spent in Arizona there was only time that I was 100% certain I was on a GPAA claim. The $75 renewal fee was a bit salty so I am happy to pay $35 to MPA for the opportunity to search their land.
Some GPAA claims are hard to find. A GPS unit is always a help. I have 3. Maps are my PASSION, and the related GPS uses. TTC

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might consider GSSN (Gold Seekers of Southern Nevada) also, same price and great claims

Shep

OP
OP
C

cwp1979

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from Gold Basin does anybody know the general area (nearest town) of other MPA claims?
Just curious, should receive the maps in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
C

cwp1979

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it preferable to use automatic ground balancing or active tracking when prospecting for gold in the desert? I have a Minelab Xterra 705. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread