Tips on finding the privy location?

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at this, have found a few interesting things, and tons of junk... (sigh) Do you all have a guess how many feet the privy would have been located away from an old home? I have a lovely big old house, disintegrating adobe, but there are numerous locations where a privy could have been, none of them really close to the house. Also, are there any identifying characteristics that might pinpoint one? And any thoughts on how deep I would need to dig one if I found it? I've scratched the surface at a few of the possible locations, and did find 2 broken old bottle tops (cork-type, no seams and no screw-on) but nothing underneath them. Thank you.

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually, but sprinkle a little powdered lime down the hole between uses and there's no problem.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seek out any slight depressions that are three to four feet across. Also by using a metal rod to see if the soil has ever been loosened. Usually when soil has been moved, the rod will be easier to penetrate into the ground. Good Luck!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about NM, in Ohio the winters get cold, and the snow deep, so they would be a little closer to the house.

Down wind and behind the house usually.

Any old pictures of the house from former residents?

Good Luck, post some pics.

OP
OP
Grandma

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I will try the 3-4' depressions, the metal rod and downwind. That's a help! I think I've been looking too far away from the house...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions