bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm pretty sure I've found a few privies in my yard. We had always had these "sinkholes" or depressions in the backyard. Once I got into bottle digging and mding I thought maybe they could be privies. My property is old, and I've found a few 1800s items mding. Plus, these depressions are in the back corner of the property, ideal privy area. I dug a little test hole after probing a little. My 5 ft pole sank all the way down. I didn't have to go very deep until I hit some sandy loose lighter colored soil. The normal soil for my area is dark, rich brown. Privy soil? I'm not sure having never dug a privy before. I just want to get some input before I make a giant hole in the backyard. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2468482600.jpg
    image-2468482600.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-1770100924.jpg
    image-1770100924.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3244999738.jpg
    image-3244999738.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 77

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't think you have anything to lose by digging. Sounds like a privy to me. I would definitely find out. Do you anything you can put the dirt in? A piece of plastic, or some empty drums? Let the dirt fly and take some photos of your excursion

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't think you have anything to lose by digging. Sounds like a privy to me. I would definitely find out. Do you anything you can put the dirt in? A piece of plastic, or some empty drums? Let the dirt fly and take some photos of your excursion

Yeah that was a very little pile of dirt. When I do dig I'll use a tarp. The only hesitation I had was my family. Didn't want to dig a hole for no reason and have an upset family. I'll definitely take pics when I do dig. Thanks!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to far into the hole you should hopefully run into manmade debris. Then you'll know for sure. When you were probing, did you feel anything abrasive? Stick it 15-20 times, maybe you'll feel something.

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to far into the hole you should hopefully run into manmade debris. Then you'll know for sure. When you were probing, did you feel anything abrasive? Stick it 15-20 times, maybe you'll feel something.

I didn't dig very far. I did feel some items in the hole scraping my probe. I couldn't tell if they were rocks or bottles (I hope bottles!), Hopefully I'll dig this week.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good, keep us posted

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey bhofcc,

Whadduhya mean, "or Not to Dig."

dig.gif

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bhofcc,

Whadduhya mean, "or Not to Dig."

I was gonna try to dig anyway, just wanted to show my family what the experts thought. It's not just my "crazy" idea to dig ditches in the backyard. I'm hoping for some good bots to show them. Always the job of the bottle digger to educate the ignorant right? I'll keep you posted.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad to hear that you are digging with someone with you. Ain't a good idea to dig in a pit alone.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear your digging,maybe if we see you posting some bottles we might have to dig in the yard too.
We found what we think is a privy in the our yard but,we rent.
You finding some bottles might be motivation to dig here and dealing with the landlord.lol

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear your digging,maybe if we see you posting some bottles we might have to dig in the yard too.
You finding some bottles might be motivation to dig here and dealing with the landlord.lol
I hope I'll be able to show you guys some pics!

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing that would keep me from digging in my own yard would be graves...... I let momma run the show but if I had (or thought I had) a privvy on my property I would "excersize my strong hand" :laughing7: and dig.

Dig Baby Dig!

and keep us posted.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You havent dug it yet !!?? If the family bothers ya, wait till their sleeping,then bust out the coleman lantern & the minimag :)

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tell him you are putting in a garden! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread