To Dig Or Not To Dig

FunInTheSun

Greenie
Aug 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Excalibur 1000, Sovereign GT, Vibraprobe
Some slightly technical info for experienced and new detectorists. Everyone has different opinions about whether to dig all, or discriminate. Here is some information to help you decide. It was obtained from Eddy Current Technology Inc. and I've boiled it down for simplicity.

Remember that most metal objects are not pure, but alloys with other metals.

This chart shows the electrical conductivity of various metals expressed as a %IACS, which is the percent conductivity relative to pure copper.

%IACS....Metal
108.........Pure Silver
100.........Pure Copper
85...........Deoxidized Copper
70...........Pure Gold
65-25......Aluminum, various alloys
25...........Pure Nickel
16...........Platinum
15...........Iron (99.9%)
8.............Lead
3.............Stainless Steel

Now do you see why you can't tell the difference between a gold ring (which is alloyed gold) and all that aluminum junk.
Also, do you ignore those Iron targets? Look how close Platinum is to Iron. Platinum is worth about $2,000 per ounce!

Discriminate or not?
Something to think about, and discuss. Happy hunting.
--Mike

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post. Most of it is known but the first time I've seen it all in print. Thanks. TTC

OP
OP
F

FunInTheSun

Greenie
Aug 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Excalibur 1000, Sovereign GT, Vibraprobe
Terry,

White Gold is made by alloying gold with Copper, Nickel, and Zinc in different proportions.
And yes, it drags the electrical conductivity down even lower, right into the Aluminum range.

--Mike

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Mike,
I had no clue. TTC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well I suggest all you guys run out to the nearest inner city blighted junky parks, and start digging all the iron and aluminum "lest you miss any platinum or gold". Just kidding. You'd go crazy trying to do that. Your best bet, if platinum or gold is your goal, is to hit areas that have a better ratio of that to begin with: swimming beaches.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
Well I suggest all you guys run out to the nearest inner city blighted junky parks, and start digging all the iron and aluminum "lest you miss any platinum or gold". Just kidding. You'd go crazy trying to do that. Your best bet, if platinum or gold is your goal, is to hit areas that have a better ratio of that to begin with: swimming beaches.
Tom,
I've got more than my share of rings'n'things from the FL east coast beaches. The waves are a little more sedate than CA water. Even still, I have most of my lumbar spine fused to my pelvis (s1) so I can stand up. You cannot know the pain I put up with before the two operations! Swimming beaches will ALWAYS be the best places to hunt. It's a disposable world today. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions