To shine or not to shine...

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few pieces of silver I've plucked from the ground. For the most part, they're in nice shape. I have no intentions of selling them and they're not worth that much. The best being a beautiful 1912 Barber dime but it's kinda milky and would look even better all nice and shined up. Question is, given that info, should I clean 'em up and shine 'em or leave them as is? Next question, what's a good silver polish that's safe to use and effective?
Thanks!

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Wrights Silver Cream works well and is not too harsh
Comes in a blue and white container and can be found in the cleaning products section of many grocery stores

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Don't do it man! Let them just be! They look so much better in their natural tone. If you have any bad silver that you want to clean up...........do a basic electro. Grab a plastic bowl, fill it up with water, and throw some tabelspoons of salt. Grab some aluminum paper, fold it and place the coin inside and throw that into the mix. Pull it out every 3-4 minutes and go over the coin lightly with a tissue or q-tip. This method works. Try it. Shining them up is going to give them a fake, whacky look. You want to keep that original silver tone! :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't clean any silver at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions