What's new

Tobacco Patch Find

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Found yesterday in a tobacco patch. Measures 3"x 3".
Door knocker mount?
 

Attachments

  • dunno 011.webp
    dunno 011.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 574
  • dunno.webp
    dunno.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 559
Possably part of a door Knocker ?

or Door Bell Cover
 
Upvote 0
it might have been fastened like this to hold something :dontknow:
[attach-1]
 

Attachments

  • whats it.webp
    whats it.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0
[/quote]
Mike in Berks said:
it might have been fastened like this to hold something :dontknow:
[attach-1]

Mike, you may be correct. I thought it could be mounted either way.
I also thought it may have held a flag stick. The center portion is concave so I'm sure it held something or something pivoted behind it. No hinge marks so I dunno?
Thanks for your reply
 
Upvote 0
jeff of pa said:
Possably part of a door Knocker ?

or Door Bell Cover

Your guess is good as mine Jeff.
I think Mikes thought of the piece being mounted the other way is probably the way it was mounted.
Must have held something?
Thanks for your reply
 
Upvote 0
Although your Idea of a flag holder Would work,

I'm still confident you have it right side Up
simpley because it looks like a Face.

The square in the middle....

does it look like it's Broke &
could have Held a ring ?

Being the ring would look
like it was Right Below the Nose


!BbupllwBmk~$(KGrHqMOKicEq2g8ui2nBK)VEKpze!~~_35.webp

dunno_011.webp
 
Upvote 0
the front photo the opening looks half round the back photo square
i'll add another idea to it curtain rod holder? maybe someone will find an example
whats it.webp
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Wall sconce bracket?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
more pics of opening.
 

Attachments

  • dunno 013.webp
    dunno 013.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 471
  • dunno 014.webp
    dunno 014.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 463
Upvote 0
Bill, it's a Victorian drawer faceplate for a pull, which was made between 1880 and the turn of the century. Most were made out of brass. I've been selling antiques for 37 yrs. and have seen many of these. The 2 holes on each side are for screws to hold the plate to the drawer. The actual ring/pull is missing, which would have attached in the center. The "open face roses" were typical for the Victorian era. If it has nooks & crannies to catch dust, it's Victorian! :wink: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
TheBreeze426 said:
Bill, it's a Victorian drawer faceplate for a pull, which was made between 1880 and the turn of the century. Most were made out of brass. I've been selling antiques for 37 yrs. and have seen many of these. The 2 holes on each side are for screws to hold the plate to the drawer. The actual ring/pull is missing, which would have attached in the center. The "open face roses" were typical for the Victorian era. If it has nooks & crannies to catch dust, it's Victorian! :wink: Breezie

Good One !

I Can Agree with This ;D
 
Upvote 0
Well Breezie that sure is alot of drawer pulls to look at. But,
I just realized something.
The holes seem awful large to be bolted on a drawer.
Was it common to use such large holes on a drawer pull?


I believe Matt may be right with the wall sconce.
But still not sure.
 
Upvote 0
Three inches is just the right size for a pull, but seems too small for a wall sconce. The large holes were probably covered by a round ball screw head. Something else that came to mind is a Vase Holder for an Antique Car. We restored a 1928 Studebaker, and beside the 2 back seat windows was a sconce that held a glass vase(looked more like a test tube) for a fresh cut flower. The attaching hole were pretty large like the ones on yours. On my website, I have some pics of the Stude, but not of the sconce or vase. I'll try to find one on the net. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Okay, I think we can 86 the Antique Car Vase idea. Here is a pic of what the brackets look like. (I'm still going with the drawer pull or door knocker.
oldbrackets.jpg
 
Upvote 0
TheBreeze426 said:
Three inches is just the right size for a pull, but seems too small for a wall sconce. The large holes were probably covered by a round ball screw head. Something else that came to mind is a Vase Holder for an Antique Car. We restored a 1928 Studebaker, and beside the 2 back seat windows was a sconce that held a glass vase(looked more like a test tube) for a fresh cut flower. The attaching hole were pretty large like the ones on yours. On my website, I have some pics of the Stude, but not of the sconce or vase. I'll try to find one on the net. ;D
Whether you are your Avatar or not, Breezie that's a nice look :icon_thumleft: Welcome to TreasureNet.
Keep sharing your finds and excellent pics please.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Darn. I had hoped that piece you found was older than that, HB.
 
Upvote 0
Whether you are your Avatar or not, Breezie that's a nice look :icon_thumleft: Welcome to TreasureNet.
Keep sharing your finds and excellent pics please.
Mike
Mike, yes, my avatar is the one and only me. Thank you for the compliment. At my age, I'll graciously take all compliments. ;D
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom