Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duckshot I’ve been smoking since I was 14 now 49. In my teens and 20’s I smoked reds, in my 30’s I had to switch to lights and now in my 40’s I’m on Ultra lights. Not because I’m was trying to cut down it’s because my lungs where getting weaker throughout the years. I feel it now today when I’m digging, not sure if it’s the heat, my shrinking arteries or both, but my hunts are getting shorter and shorter. Your story has really touched me big time and it’s time for me to quit as well. I’ve quit drinking, gambling and drugs 15 years ago, but never not once have I ever quit my trusted buddy’s that have been with me through think in thin....well I think it’s time for this good ol’ boy and I don’t want to wait a go through what you went through. I’ve quit many demons and this is my last one. Please keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing you are in my prayers and I mean that not just words. I’ll also let you know how I’m doing and we can fight through this together. I read your story earlier and haven’t had one today so we’ll see. Just wanted you to know that your post hit me hard. I LOVE tobacco I mean LOVE IT, so I’ll continue dipping but the habits of the cigarettes have to stop. Hang in the and God Bless.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I just quit cold turkey .. It was hard for a couple of weeks, but my determination was greater than the addiction. I haven't smoked now for 34 years. Good luck!

Last edited:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there, Duck!!! A scare like that MIGHT just be the prod that works for you! Fight the temptation any way you can...and there's lotsa good advice that's already been posted in this thread. It's tough, I know...been smoking since I was about 24 or 25. I'm 67 now. I've always smoked lights or ultras and never got beyond a pack a day...but it's SUCH a relentless addiction, I can never quit for more than 3-4 days, tops. 😞 Try EVERYTHING you can! I'm doing patches now, for the first time, and its helping...but not completely. I'm down to, like, 5-6-7 a day...but just can NOT break the hold. 😠 Stay strong and keep fighting...and my best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!!! 🙌

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smoked for 31 years and in 1986 visited a Hypnotist three time at 60 bucks a visit. After the third visit she told me I would never want another cigarette the rest of my life. So far she has been right. The best 180 dollars I have ever spent. Ten years after I quit my Doctor said my lungs were as clear as a new born child.
I had an older brother to quit cold Turkey and he carried a full pack of King size Chesterfields in his pocket for a year, unopened.
I guess it's up to the individual to determine what works.
Marvin
BTW, I was a 4 pack a day guy-----imagine what that would cost today.:thumb_down:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, um for reasons i will not disclose i am not allowed to get hypnotized.

You are spot on about one thing GA Boy

Marvin
]

Nobody is making me smoke- nobody to blame dukshot's problem on except duckshot.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emcjamsit, im sorry about your condition. Thank you for sharing. Good incentive for me. Thanks

Duckshot I’ve been smoking since I was 14 now 49. In my teens and 20’s I smoked reds, in my 30’s I had to switch to lights and now in my 40’s I’m on Ultra lights. Not because I’m was trying to cut down it’s because my lungs where getting weaker throughout the years. I feel it now today when I’m digging, not sure if it’s the heat, my shrinking arteries or both, but my hunts are getting shorter and shorter. Your story has really touched me big time and it’s time for me to quit as well. I’ve quit drinking, gambling and drugs 15 years ago, but never not once have I ever quit my trusted buddy’s that have been with me through think in thin....well I think it’s time for this good ol’ boy and I don’t want to wait a go through what you went through. I’ve quit many demons and this is my last one. Please keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing you are in my prayers and I mean that not just words. I’ll also let you know how I’m doing and we can fight through this together. I read your story earlier and haven’t had one today so we’ll see. Just wanted you to know that your post hit me hard. I LOVE tobacco I mean LOVE IT, so I’ll continue dipping but the habits of the cigarettes have to stop. Hang in the and God Bless.

I like it too. No wait! I liked it before but now its a pain in my side. No really, this chest drain is still draining :laughing7:

Alright Brother. Honesty will be key here, but you already know that. We can quit together. Not just switch nicotine delivery methods, quit nicotine. If I slip I will let you know. You might figure out hings about me that I can't pinpoint on my own. I have no doubt that you know things I don't an probably the other way around.

Last thing I smoked was a pipe. I used about a pound of cured burley a month and maybe an ounce of rustca(Indian tobacco). Before that it was store bought loose burley stuffed in tubes at about 20# a year. Back before that it Marlboros at a carton a week. Cutting back might work for some.it sure ain't working for me though.

Hospital is giving me 2mg nicotine gum. I used three yesterday, two today so far. I will skip tonight's after diner dose.

When I get home I got a lot of $#!+ I gotta throw away.

Eta God Bless you Truth1253. : )

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I smoked for 31 years and in 1986 visited a Hypnotist three time at 60 bucks a visit. After the third visit she told me I would never want another cigarette the rest of my life. So far she has been right. The best 180 dollars I have ever spent. Ten years after I quit my Doctor said my lungs were as clear as a new born child.
I had an older brother to quit cold Turkey and he carried a full pack of King size Chesterfields in his pocket for a year, unopened.
Marvin
BTW, I was a 4 pack a day guy-----imagine what that would cost today.:thumb_down:

Hypnotist....
Now I retch sometimes when smoking.
He said to think of something that is horrible.....I did! (And must still do sometimes when smoking..)

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, um for reasons i will not disclose i am not allowed to get hypnotized.

You are spot on about one thing GA Boy

]

Nobody is making me smoke- nobody to blame dukshot's problem on except duckshot.

I was always afraid of getting hypnotized. I have to many doors that just shouldn’t be opened.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this may hit a nerve with some. But I have read your post as well as the other posts. On of the posts referred to smoking up to 80 cigarettes a day. That seems like a lot to me. But if this is true that is 4 packs a day at a average of $5.00 and this may be low in some areas but that is $7300.00 a year or 608.00 a month. If those numbers don't give you the incentive to stop I don't think any patch will help!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this may hit a nerve with some. But I have read your post as well as the other posts. On of the posts referred to smoking up to 80 cigarettes a day. That seems like a lot to me. But if this is true that is 4 packs a day at a average of $5.00 and this may be low in some areas but that is $7300.00 a year or 608.00 a month. If those numbers don't give you the incentive to stop I don't think any patch will help!

Back in the 70’s and 80’s they where a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was always afraid of getting hypnotized. I have to many doors that just shouldn’t be opened.

Yep. Alright I will say it.

When you receive suggestion in a hypnotic state you are literally being controlled by another person. Like I said before this duckshots problem and I intend to keep it only duckshot's problem. It will remain only my problem. The hypnotist has his own brain to control. I ain't giving up possesion of my most favorite organ to some sideshow act.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Alright I will say it.

When you receive suggestion in a hypnotic state you are literally being controlled by another person. Like I said before this duckshots problem and I intend to keep it only duckshot's problem. It will remain only my problem. The hypnotist has his own brain to control. I ain't giving up possesion of my most favorite organ to some sideshow act.

Lol I’m glad you said it because it was killing me not knowing :laughing

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are getting very sleepy.......You don't want to smoke....Now give me your Credit card number and pin in a pm. When you get through with this sentence you will wake up and have no memory of it.

Seriously, I know people that it didn't work for and a guy I worked with that said it did for him too and swears by it. I'd be afraid, and actually doubt it would for me. I'd be trying to read into it the whole time and trying to figure out what they were doing. :laughing7:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duck, sorry to hear about your current state, and the best of luck to you. I've known people who have done EVERYTHING...drinking, drugs etc...and they ALL said the worst thing they've ever tried to quit was the smokes. Looks like you have your second family here looking out for you with a lot of great advice, so whichever route you choose, good luck! I know first hand how detecting and smoking can go hand in hand, at least it does for me. Again, best of luck, keep us informed, Ddf.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You are getting very sleepy.......You don't want to smoke....Now give me your Credit card number and pin in a pm. When you get through with this sentence you will wake up and have no memory of it.

Seriously, I know people that it didn't work for and a guy I worked with that said it did for him too and swears by it. I'd be afraid, and actually doubt it would for me. I'd be trying to read into it the whole time and trying to figure out what they were doing. :laughing7:

Thing was...When it didn't work ,the hypnotist was long gone!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing was...When it didn't work ,the hypnotist was long gone!

I have heard it works. I wonder what the percentage is of people that it works on. That would be interesting to know. With any of the stop smoking aids really. I tried wellbutrin(spelling) and that stuff made me a mess. It did nothing to stop the smoking for me, just gave me mood swings and depression. Those kinds of things scare me.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read every single response in this thread.
I’ve got some thinking and soul searching to do....
I’ll be outside for a minute.....

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are the electric cigs dangerous? I'm not a smoker but my brother in law swears they won't hurt you. He smoked tobacco before that.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Duck going to sleep no cigarette all day I haven’t done that in I can’t even remember. Tomorrow’s another day [emoji1317]

Good deal Truth1253.

Still in hospital. My nurse has my gum checked out from the pharm and is keeping it in her apron. I did not take one this morning yet. I really wanted to chew one for about ten minutes straight though I managed to avoid hitting the call bell. And the craving passed.

So, I might have the wherewithal to quit ten minutes at a time. That's like the AA motto-"One day at a time"....

I'm going to modifiy what works for AA to fit our needs here-

Ten minutes at a time. Maybe sometimes two minutes at a time.

I hope I don't have to break down to fractions of seconds but I suspect it might come to that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread