OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read every single response in this thread.
Iā€™ve got some thinking and soul searching to do....
Iā€™ll be outside for a minute.....

BigWaveaDave. Here is the story-

I have set a goal of nicotine abstinence. Truth 1253 has set a goal of cigarette abstinence. If you got any goals of smoke or chew you might want to try to achieve, you are more than welcome to join the support group Truth1253 founded.

Then there'd be three of us.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rook, even pure nicotine is a poison, and will cause cardiovascular problems, delayed wound healing and premature aging. E-cigs aren't full of tar or a smorgasbord of toxic combustion products like normal cigarettes but they certainly aren't safe either.

The carrier liquid for the nicotine is usually Glycerin and Propylene glycol, generally safe ingredients for oral ingestion but they are viscous and hygroscopic so coating one's lungs with the stuff probably isn't wise. I'm not sure what the ailments caused by e-cigs are like but I'd believe the warnings about them shared in this thread.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal Truth1253.

Still in hospital. My nurse has my gum checked out from the pharm and is keeping it in her apron. I did not take one this morning yet. I really wanted to chew one for about ten minutes straight though I managed to avoid hitting the call bell. And the craving passed.

So, I might have the wherewithal to quit ten minutes at a time. That's like the AA motto-"One day at a time"....

I'm going to modifiy what works for AA to fit our needs here-

Ten minutes at a time. Maybe sometimes two minutes at a time.

I hope I don't have to break down to fractions of seconds but I suspect it might come to that.

Your at the worst part. It doesn't get any worse. For most of us(myself) it's the fear of not having them. When I quit the first time, it never got worse than the first few days. Once you got a week or so in...It didn't get any worse. It got less and less..... Sometimes it hits hard, but never gets worse than the first few days and really lessons by day 10. I'm trying to talk myself into it......But can't make it past that first step of putting them down, that to me is the worst step, once you get past that it's all over if you want to quit.

If you can do it without any aids then you might have an easier time too, I don't know that seems to depend on the person from what I hear I've tried the all and none of it helped. Keep your mind occupied...Don't start dwelling on the cig. I'm not one to give advice at all I probably smoked close to a half a pack today already or more. I hate this habit. It's horrible, But to me you've already made it through the worst.

Just like I told Truth1253, I need to put them down, I have a 3yr old that I have a long way I need to go yet for and I'm already half wore out. :laughing7: So, I'm watching what you guys post hoping I get ticked off enough to say "I'm done"....Haven't made it yet.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicotine addiction is a terrible thing. I kept repeating to myself that it was a turd I was putting in my mouth. And I kept thinking it tasted like one too. That and the pain finally made me quit. Good luck with your battle!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BigWaveaDave. Here is the story-

I have set a goal of nicotine abstinence. Truth 1253 has set a goal of cigarette abstinence. If you got any goals of smoke or chew you might want to try to achieve, you are more than welcome to join the support group Truth1253 founded.

Then there'd be three of us.

Still havenā€™t had one. Mad it threw the morning decided to skip my coffee. Almost broke last night, but the wife helped me and smoked the last one we had. Lord help us all. [emoji1317]

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read every single response in this thread.
Iā€™ve got some thinking and soul searching to do....
Iā€™ll be outside for a minute.....

BigWaveDave, here is the story-

Then there'd be three of us. :icon_thumright:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Still havenā€™t had one. Mad it threw the morning decided to skip my coffee. Almost broke last night, but the wife helped me and smoked the last one we had. Lord help us all. [emoji1317]

Alright!
You get to count them hours you were sleeping too.
Less chemical effect every hour.

Don't dwell on what you used to do. It's just something you used to do. Onward, through the haze!

You have been weaned off what you did not want to do without before , at a much younger age! L.o.l..

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duckshot ... you have been put on an incredible difficult path but one that is, nonetheless, passable. You can - and will - win the fight against nicotine. I only talk about my quitting if someone asks and, since you did, here goes ...

I smoked cigarettes for a few years and promised myself that I would quit when they hit 50-cents a pack. I quit at 47-cents when my wife got pregnant with our first daughter. I promptly took up smoking a pipe. That had to be better, right. Plus, it looked cool as hell to smoke a pipe when the common people were still sucking on sticks of tobacco. I'll tell you the truth; a pipe is not only a great nicotine delivery system, it provides an incredible sense of oral gratification while getting that dose of poison.

When my older daughter was about 7 years old, we moved into a new house. She and I were in the garage working on some crucial project for her school and she looked at me and said, "Daddy, will you quit smoking for me?" What could I do? I dumped the bowl of tobacco I was smoking in the ash tray and we took that and the rest of my tobacco into the back yard, dug a hole and buried it. Three decades later I have still not touched another smoking product.

I'm not saying it was easy to quit; it wasn't. Nicotine is an insidious drug. It can help calm you when you're worked up or it can speed you up when you're down. What I will say is that it can be done. I didn't use any replacement nicotine products, I just quit and, since I promised my favorite daughter that I would quit, I have stayed quit. By the way, I have another daughter ... the pretty one.

I did gain a few pounds (about 10) but have since lost those. I chewed a forest of tooth picks and a truck load of gum and mints. The toothpicks provided the oral gratification and the gum and mints gave my mouth something to taste. It took about 3 months before I'd kill you for a bowl of tobacco and about a year before I didn't even think of smoking. Now, it's nothing I would ever consider doing again.

If you really want to quit, quit. Again, it ain't easy but you can certainly succeed.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright!
You get to count them hours you were sleeping too.
Less chemical effect every hour.

Don't dwell on what you used to do. It's just something you used to do. Onward, through the haze!

You have been weaned off what you did not want to do without before , at a much younger age! L.o.l..

Hey I started picking my nose again lol

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best effort to quit was during Muddyhandz ā€œI Quitā€ thread a couple years ago...
I have set a date to quit, and good luck to you guys who are quitting now.
Iā€™ll be outside.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Are the electric cigs dangerous? I'm not a smoker but my brother in law swears they won't hurt you. He smoked tobacco before that.
It all hurts you. From air pollution to vaping. If it isnā€™t good clean air it can have an impact on your lungs.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that BigWave.Dave. I recall the "I Quit" thread's existence but I don't believe I ever opened it. I liked to smoke at the time.

Besides, this country was founded on the production and export of tobacco. If I had not gotten hurt I'd be outside on the stoop with you puffing on a big ol' pipeful of homegrown rustica. As things are though, my tobacco crop this year is a total loss.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from this ex-smoker! I promised all my friends that I would never become one of those preachy ex-smokers.
Why? Well, I could see that they would be defensive right off the bat, which the case for many smokers.
First off, where are you on the scale? Are you a belligerent smoker like some of my aunts and uncles?
They are the type that will hold your new born baby in their arms with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths.
They will light up one after another in a small closed space even if they're outnumbered by non-smokers and if you say something to them the response would be.....

"NOBODY CAN TELL ME WHEN OR WHERE I CAN SMOKE! YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN TOO BAD! KISS MY ......"
Interesting enough, these same ignorant smokers have been in and out of the hospital these days. One aunt has had two strokes already and she's barely 60.
Another uncle just had a triple by-pass and has emphysema. Another aunt is not doing too good. Defend those cigarettes until you die!
The parents of those aunts and uncles (my grandparents) smoked until their deaths. My grandfather died by 70 from coronary problems but had a severe case of emphysema.
His wife made it until her 90's and is one of those cases that throws a wrench into a smoker's desire to quit.
She smoked until her death but her quality of life was not good with all the apparatuses hooked up to her in her remaining years.But yes, she made it to 90.
My other grandmother was on the other end of the spectrum. She always hid while she smoked and would tell us to never ever smoke.
She hid in shame for the years I knew her until she died from lung cancer in her early 70's. Her husband died before she did and smoked most of his life.

Now, I was never a belligerent smoker but I would defend my smoking nevertheless. The last 5 or 10 years of my habit was different.
I would light one up and say to whoever I was with that cigarettes are sh*t and that I hate this habit. I hated the fact that I was a slave to it even more.
It's the ego that defends such a vile habit. Simple logic won't support it nor would my heart and soul. Purely ego my friends.
You'll hear me and many others say it's all about timing. Quit when the timing is right but when is the right time?
Well, I was at the point where I was ready to quit. A few events pushed that timing into reality. The key was battling my own ego.
I wrote out an honest list about all the things I hate about smoking. Things that my ego used to defend. I read it to my friends and family.

I posted it here on T-net...... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/everything-else/421818-i-quit.html

But I never expected that some awesome people here would hold me accountable and posted daily on my thread, inquiring about my progress.
I was all in and continued to expose my ego's vulnerabilities and it's hold on me slowly diminished.
My parents (both ex-smokers) and my nonsmoking girlfriend called me daily offering support but I had no help from my smoking friends as they're still defending their habit.

Now, this next little story is a key component to all this talk about ego and establishing the RIGHT reasons to quit.
I think a 25 pack here is between $17 to $23 depending on the brand. The cost of smoking is mentioned on my list but it isn't the main reason I quit.
A few days after I quit, a smoking buddy told me story that became instrumental in me STAYING quit.
His aunt used to say years ago...."When cigarettes reach $10 a pack, that's it! I QUIT!" and when they did hit $10 a pack, she quit for many years.
12 years to be exact until she retired and moved to Mexico. Why would she start up again after 12 years?
Well, look at how cheap cigarettes are in Mexico! This showed me that it is important to establish the right reasons to quit.
Second, it showed me that even after 12 years, an ex-smoker can still be vulnerable to starting again.... so be on guard!

O.K. there's plenty of time to post more, I won't make this one any longer!
Duck, Truth, Bigwave, and anyone else that wants to come forward, I'm behind you 100% and want to come here daily to offer my support.
Sorry Dave that I didn't stick with you the first time you quit but I'm here now if you need my 2 cents worth.
Best of luck to you my friends.
Blessings to you all,
Digger Dave.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
So much misinformation about vaping.
Your doctor should educate himself with actual facts, not fake news twisted around to scare people away from a viable, proven harm reduction method.
That would be misinformation backed by many that have their own agenda including big tobacco and and big pharma...both have seen profits fall by millions of dollars as the e cigarette and vaping has become more popular and they are scared.
The truth is out there, not easy to find but available...
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vaping-causes-popcorn-lung/

Other countries have embraced vaping...
https://vaping360.com/vape-news/252...group-encourages-smokers-to-switch-to-vaping/

That is referring to the Royal College of Physicians...look up their history and how much they have been involved in spreading the truth about cigarettes, nicotine and now vaping.

I tried cold turkey, lozenges, gum and patches, none of it worked permanently, what did work was a $20 Vape device.
The second I picked it up I quit smoking and it was easier than I have ever thought possible and more successful than anything else I have ever tried.
I am still off the cigarettes and I don't think I need to ever pick them up again.

Nobody says it is harmless, nobody says people that don't smoke should start vaping, what is true is that vaping is considered an important form of harm reduction for cigarette smokers that want/need to stop.
By some intelligent countries, anyway, here in the USA not so much.
It has been proven to be at least the 95% less harmful than smoking that the patches are but newer studies might say it might even be a bit higher up to 97%.

Popcorn lung, exploding e cigs and devices, epidemic among teens all makes for attention grabbing, clickbait headlines but look closer and you will find the truth and the numbers might be a different story.

You need to quit, no matter how you do it is up to you and I hope you are successful no matter what method works best for you.

As far as your doctor he took an oath to do no harm.
Warning you off of vaping using rumors and misinformation and no real scientific evidence is the opposite of that.
A shame.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger27.

I already was using a vintage Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twain vaporizer. You know, a pipe.:laughing7:

Anyways my goal is not to quit smoking, it is to quit using nicotine. That vaping might work for some but it just ain't for me. My brother started vaping to stop smoking five years ago and you know what? He has not used nicotine in three years. But, he is still hooked on the motion and the flavor of vaping zero nicotine juice. He is still addicted.

Is he better off? :dontknow:

No gum today. Chomping at the bit and straining the reins in hope of getting discharged Tuesday.

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a quitter as well. I chew the nicotine gum like crazy. I should work toward tapering that down but if it keeps me off the cigs I am happy. I like the gum most people don't know how to chew it correctly so they don't like it. I imagine its similar to chew but less nasty.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and he told me all about how vaping can cause brochiolitus oblterans which is sometime called popcorn lung and about ten times worse than the COPD that smoke causes. Vaping just ain't for me.

When it comes to tobacco, you have to find an honest dentist/doctor because most will tell you anything to make you stop, which has the opposite affect on me. I just want the true raw numbers. My advice is a combo of what others have said. Being Tobacco free for several days has weened you off the chemical addiction...now it's about the habit. A change in routine has gotten you temporarily off cigs. Continuing the change in routine when you leave the hospital will help. Change as many things as you can...this will help with the cravings. You could also consider getting some kind of "smoking" device but don't smoke nicotine. Caution...this is probably a slippery slope. Also (Obviously) you'll have to get rid of all the tobacco at home, including the plants.

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my wife smoked for almost 35 years, she always had some kind of lung problems , nothing really serious but it was due to smoking,,,one morning i got up out of bed to see she had almost a carton of cigs opened , each pack opened in the sink and drowning them in water then in the garbage...she said she decided enough was enough and quit cold turkey, she didn't really have any major problem quitting...that's been a year ago and she doing great , no cravings at all. maybe you just have to get mad enough that a cigarette has that much control over you

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way am I afraid to get Hypnotized. They can't embed in your Sub-conscience brain anything you don't want to do.
Lets say John Doe did me an injustice and I wanted to get even and a Hypnotist suggested that I throw eggs at him. I probably would.
Now on the other hand lets suppose John Doe Is my Preacher or even my brother that I love and the Hypnotist suggest I throw eggs at one of them. No way will my brain allow me to do this.
Hypnosis is a wonderful thing if the persons involved are serious about getting positive results.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I wish anyone luck with getting rid of a habit that affects your well being, regardless of the method you choose. Support group sounds great.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread