What's new

Todays box of nickel finds

Kelso1989

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
So I am brand spanking new to this thing. I am a young guy (20, about to turn 21 in December) and I have been collecting since I was 7. I got into it from my Grandpa. He was a coin dealer and he traveled all over the world to get the best coins he can find. But now since he is retired he wants me to take over what he has done. So I decided to start out slow with nickels and pennies first then get into the silver and gold. Well today I picked up a box of nickels and oh boy was it a duzey. Here is what I got...

34 War nickels 1942-45
42 nickels pre-1960
4 buffalo's, 1922, 1934, 2 1936
1 V nickel 1883
And 1 Mercury Dime 1942.

This had to be somebody's collection since I dont see any way how all of these were in the same box! Well after waking back up from knocking myself out when I fell backwards on my chair, I looked at the war nickels and noticed that 2 1942 nickels didnt have the large mintmark like they should since they are silver. But there are 5 other 1942 nickels that have the enlarged mintmark on them right above the monticebello (sorry if im spelling it wrong) building. So is it a error that happened or what? I am baffled by this. Hopefully its the $1 million dollar nickel haha. Doubt it but I cant say anything after what I found in this box. Any answers would be great Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
1942 was the transition year to the war nickels. There are nickels of each variety. Welcome aboard!
HH
enamel7

P.S.
Heck of a box! :icon_thumleft:
 
Incredible nickel box. Great finds!

apush :read2:
 
Best nickel box i've ever heard of. Congrats! Any pics?
 
Is the 1883 the cents or no cents variety?
 
Those 1922 buffs sure are hard to come by!
 
Wow now that is what I call a good box of nickels :thumbsup:
HH..Miner
 
I was looking at the 1922 buffalo and something doesnt look right on it. It almost looks like the date was added to it. It has a black mark around it and it looks like soder to me. I am going to get it checked out today. I am going back to the same bank today also too and get as many boxes of nickels they have. I will try to post some pics later today when I get back on.

The 1883 nickel is the No cents variety. I already have the Cents variety of 1883. It is also in very good condition. I would in AU easily. I am thinking I should send it in to get it graded.
 
Kelso1989 said:
I was looking at the 1922 buffalo and something doesnt look right on it. It almost looks like the date was added to it. It has a black mark around it and it looks like soder to me. I am going to get it checked out today. I am going back to the same bank today also too and get as many boxes of nickels they have. I will try to post some pics later today when I get back on.

The 1883 nickel is the No cents variety. I already have the Cents variety of 1883. It is also in very good condition. I would in AU easily. I am thinking I should send it in to get it graded.

Pssst...they dont exist. None were minted in 1922.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
Kelso1989 said:
I was looking at the 1922 buffalo and something doesnt look right on it. It almost looks like the date was added to it. It has a black mark around it and it looks like soder to me. I am going to get it checked out today. I am going back to the same bank today also too and get as many boxes of nickels they have. I will try to post some pics later today when I get back on.

The 1883 nickel is the No cents variety. I already have the Cents variety of 1883. It is also in very good condition. I would in AU easily. I am thinking I should send it in to get it graded.

Pssst...they dont exist. None were minted in 1922.

That's what I was referring to in my own sarcastic way :icon_pirat:
 
You have pics? Pics would be great
 
Awesome finds. My nickel box today didn't produce anything...


-bigJ
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom