What's new

Todays creek finds

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's creek finds

Here is some stuff I found in the creek this afternoon...pic might not be too good because it was almost dark when I took it but loving these long afternoons when I can't get in the creek until after 6 pm. Last thing I picked up was that cute little bird point ;-) Thinking the rest are scrapers and a couple of points...does anyone know the type point they are? Oh and I'm finding a lot of uni facial stuff but the ones that I think are points are bi-facial and thin...cep the bird point it's uni facial. (Finally learning the terminology)

Sadly the shards aren't coming up for me right now...might head down stream this weekend but the darn snakes are moving quite a bit lately so caution is quite high right now...not to mention the poison ivy...but not letting them get between me and the artifacts :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • 100_6964.webp
    100_6964.webp
    450.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_6968.webp
    100_6968.webp
    117.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those look like they have been in the creek a long time. Might want to go upstream to where they might of fallen out of the bank. The fresher the look the closer you are to the camp site. HH, rock
 
Those look like they have been in the creek a long time. Might want to go upstream to where they might of fallen out of the bank. The fresher the look the closer you are to the camp site. HH, rock

My son cleared the way upstream but so far I haven't seen anything at all except a lot of broken glass and then our way is blocked by a lot of big debris...I might ask my neighbor if he cares if we poke around on his part of the creek and see what is there. This creek comes off a mountain and it might be about halfway up where it plateaus that the stuff is washing from and I'll have to ask property owners if I can look...now downstream it meets up with the main creek which is barely there anymore...mine is a tributary and a lot larger with constant running water....there is a very large section of rock and sand that might have something there...mainly I'm a shard hunter and is what I love the most...so we'll see what we find next. These "rocks" are just a few of a ton of what I'm finding in my "hot spot" section of my part of the creek.
 
I find lots of quartz artifacts around here. Its hard to see the flaking in a photo. Look close for secondary flaking. Pieces without it its hard to say if it was some type tool/flake knife/scraper or just waste flakes or busted pieces of quartz. Many pieces of busted quartz look similar to tools. Secondary flaking (witch can be hard to see sometimes)will tell you for sure. Good hunting-Sam
 
Good advice SCrocks. I would consider him a true quartz expert by his collection.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom