Todays...Day before yesterday....Finds...coins ...relics

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Got out late Sunday afternoon for 4 -5 hours.Started out at an older park.I was digging just the deeper targets and still ended up with a fist full of clad and alot of garbage.Did manage to pull seven wheats (1912-1944).Also found a 44P nickel and an 18 with a full date and horn.Found my first "Merrywidows " condom container and a nice "Sterling" ring.Also an 84 Matchbox Mustang and what looks like a peephole insert for a door from Remington Hardware Co.One of the last finds was the barrel from a vintage cap gun.Having enough of the park I set out to find something older so I went to a deep woods cellar hole.This seems to be one of the oldest homesites Ive found in the area but I have yet to prove it.The site has no garbage and has no obvious sign of having been detected.I hunted around it for about an hour and found several 38WRA cartridges at about two inches. 3 Boyd jar lids at about 10 - 12 inches,a neat little pewter? button with 3 flowers at 4 - 5 inches and a fragile copper piece with moon,star,and rays at 4 - 5 inches.Also found a couple iron relics in the 8 inch range.given the lack of garbage this would be a good site for a deep seeking coil.There is a heavy canopy of trees and the ground is very humus.I believe the earth here has swallowed most small treasures a little deeper than my IDX can see.Ive got a DFX with a large Excelerator coil on my wish list.When I get that Ill return to see if my theory is true.Well...heres the pics.Thanks for looking and ...H.H.....Joe

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 467
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 457
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Really nice finds! We had a run on those Merry Widows this spring where I think six of us found them within a week of each other. What is that little red jeweled item? That copper peicce with the moon is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
gypsyheart said:
Really nice finds! We had a run on those Merry Widows this spring where I think six of us found them within a week of each other. What is that little red jeweled item? That copper peicce with the moon is really cool. Thanks for sharing!
Gypsy, The item in red is an old bicycle reflector.I was hoping someone might have a clue on the copper piece.Maybe from a watch or pendulem??

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Great assortment! You've got some cool stuff there.

I like the moon thingy, but it bugs me because a star could not be in that position without being in front of the moon. (just me being picky lol)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a great day....don't give up on that one site....I've went to plenty of old sites and you can still get some good big stuff (like a box of coins...ya right) or small stuff caught on the roots of those trees.... a pure site is hard to find (unless you live in nowhereville, like myself)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That a bunch a diggin with a bunch a keepers!

Congrats on your finds Joe and good luck on your return trip!

Nana ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That Buffalo Nickel looks SWEET! ;D ;D ;D Other stuff is great too.

A note about that IDX. I have a White's CLassic III SL. This machine seems similar to the IDX. If I put it in "black sand" mode and turn the descrimination all the way down I can get a silver Quarter at 10inches loud and clear(my coin garden). A wheat penny at 8 inches and a silver dime at 7" inches also come in loud and clear. My DFX will not get the penny at 8 inches and the silver dime at 6 inches is a very iffy signal. The DFX will get the 10" quarter. But.....with these settings on my Classic I have to dig all the trash as well. :P Only useful in limited applications.

Mirage

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
the moon thing is cool, when you go back hopefully you will find the rest of it, an idea;) about the 3 widows i also found one. when i found it i thought it was black widow spider poison, i hung onto it like i do everything else and found out it was a old condom tin by my fiance in a tombstone antique shop, awesome finds again
Brandon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread