Todays half dollar box

Re: Today's half dollar box

Any ideas why there are so few 66's out there? I did manage to get one that was from a SMS today but it was the only one. 65s are not common either.
scores of 67s 68s and 69s

Theories? Ideas?

I think the mintage numbers tell part of the story:

1965 - 65,879,366
1966 - 108,984,932
1967 - 295,046,978
1968-D - 246,951,930
1969-D - 129,881,800

Considering the mintage numbers in my experience the 67 & 68D seem to be "over found." If I didn't have the mintage numbers I'd guess they were minted 4 times more than the others.

kestrelia said:
I think the mintage numbers tell part of the story:

1965 - 65,879,366
1966 - 108,984,932
1967 - 295,046,978
1968-D - 246,951,930
1969-D - 129,881,800

Considering the mintage numbers in my experience the 67 & 68D seem to be "over found." If I didn't have the mintage numbers I'd guess they were minted 4 times more than the others.

I have not done much half dollar hunting this summer, but my totals by date for the year for 40% Kennedy's are:

1965 - 10
1966 - 26
1967 - 54
1968-D - 45
1969-D - 25

This seems to follow what is expected based on the mintages.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

jewelerdave said:
Any ideas why there are so few 66's out there? I did manage to get one that was from a SMS today but it was the only one. 65s are not common either.
scores of 67s 68s and 69s

Theories? Ideas?

I heard the 65s and 66s were hoarded more right after the switch to clad but then into 1967 and so forth the coins weren't hoarded nearly as much (the 40%ers I mean). Therefore the combination of lower mintages and the hoarding of the earlier years lead to them being found much less.

I find quite a few 66's compared to the 67's and onward. Not AS many though. The 65's for having that many minted are UNDER-found by me personally, while the 67's and onward have not been OVER-found in my opinion (on what I personally have found).

~Dave

hey dr. got a new teller a few weeks back that mentioned you. kinda a heavy girl still cute kinky brown hair with blonde streaks. said you use to bring them donuts in the "cb" area. was probably a knockout before ya plumped her up with the donuts......so not only do you get all the coins but you ruin the eye candy @ my banks. :wink: all in fun!

tanner said:
hey dr. got a new teller a few weeks back that mentioned you. kinda a heavy girl still cute kinky brown hair with blonde streaks. said you use to bring them donuts in the "cb" area. was probably a knockout before ya plumped her up with the donuts......so not only do you get all the coins but you ruin the eye candy @ my banks. :wink: all in fun!

So that's why there are so many fat tellers? Some CRH is plumping them all up with treats! ;D ;D LOL

tanner said:

Haha...I'm wondering where you are located because that doesn't ring any bells...but could be me I suppose...in theory. Did she mention my name or the Dr. Detector name?

your name is P****** right? i try not to reveal to much info....this is north of the city...still in allegheny county

JD, there seems to be a good amount of 66´s here in VA. Of course not as much as the 67-68 but more than 65´s and 69´s for sure.

-golden silver

I just sold 5 rolls of 66 coins on Ebay for over $40 ea. I didn't need any of them for my book. Got 2 left any takers??? I got them all from the same small town in TN during a business trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back