Today's Harvest.....

Four boxes.

1-65
1-66
10-67's
5-68's
4-69's

21 Keepers

Also, need a little advice, this past weekend I bought a couple of rolls of steel cents from that same 67 year old guy I have been buying different coins from who is selling off his collection. I bought a roll of 43-S and a roll of 43 no mintmark for $15 each. I also purchased one roll for each year...52-D, 53-D, 54-D & 55 Wheat's for $10 each. These are all uncirculated.

I didn't look into the prices of their worth before I bought them. I have mostly been purchasing his Morgan dollars. I took a picture of the 43-S and would like to know if this was a good buy or not. It was worth it to me and I guess that is what matters. I feel sorry for this fellow. He told me he was a CRH'er at 15 years old. He had some great stories. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.....good buy or bad buy. Your not going to hurt my feelings if you think it was a bad buy. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P6290011.jpg
    P6290011.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 288
  • P6290012.jpg
    P6290012.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 276
Upvote 0
Re: Today's Harvest.....

I don't know much about your penny purchase - but those are beautiful!! I would have bought them - nice picture!!

Good haul as well!!!

Congrats!

Don't know if it is the lighting, or not, but these look to me, like reprocessed (replated) steelies. It is not a bad thing......but the ones that are original, are worth more than the reprocessed.

Do a internet search on 1943 pennies, and you should be able to find some pictures of some, that are uncirculated, and uncirculated reprocessed. Compare them to those you have.

Thanks Tim.

Dimeman said:
Don't know if it is the lighting, or not, but these look to me, like reprocessed (replated) steelies. It is not a bad thing......but the ones that are original, are worth more than the reprocessed.

Do a internet search on 1943 pennies, and you should be able to find some pictures of some, that are uncirculated, and uncirculated reprocessed. Compare them to those you have.

I know nothing about "reprocessed" but here are a few more pictures if they help.

Attachments

• P6290015.jpg
    P6290015.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 292
  • P6290014.jpg
    P6290014.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 277
  • P6290013.jpg
    P6290013.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 274

Here are some pics of uncirculated 1943S penny.

Notice on yours they look really shiny, and the letters on them look thicker than normal.

Not that the guy was trying to rip you off or anything. But only, that you should be aware of some different things, that you may encounter.

You are doing great on the halfs BTW.

Attachments

• 1943s_steel_cent_obv.jpg
    1943s_steel_cent_obv.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 1943s_steel_cent_rev.jpg
    1943s_steel_cent_rev.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 205

Dimeman said:
Here are some pics of uncirculated 1943S penny.

Notice on yours they look really shiny, and the letters on them look thicker than normal.

Not that the guy was trying to rip you off or anything. But only, that you should be aware of some different things, that you may encounter.

You are doing great on the halfs BTW.

Thanks DM. I think you may be right...there is a big difference in those pictures. Well, at least I helped an old retired veteran CRH'er out... ;)

I think you did pretty good.

The 43-S are as follows: Price per each, Good to Very Good $.45, Fine $.50, Very Fine $.65, Extra Fine $.90, AU (Almost Uncirculated) $1.40, Mint (MS-60) $3.00. So lets see, you paid fifteen dollars which equals 30 cents each if I do my math right.

I know many places took dull looking steel cents and replated them with zinc, but I do not know how that effects the grade or value. I am no expert so I cannot tell you 100% for sure yours have been replated, but it looks like they may have been. Knowing that they were I would have still bought them for what you paid.

In regards to the 52-D, 53-D, 54-D & 55 Wheat's for $10 each roll (20 cents each).

The 52-D's are worth $.30 each in extra fine and if they are really good uncirculated coins that could grade MS-65 they would be worth $1.60 each.

The 53-D's are worth $.40 each in extra fine and in MS-65 they would be worth $1.75 each.

The 54-D's are worth $.25 each in extra fine and in MS-65 they would be worth $.50 each.

The 55 plains (Philadelphia)'s are worth $.25 each in extra fine and in MS-65 they would be worth $.50 each. But there is one thing to watch for in the 55 plains. Take a look here http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1955dd.asp You cannot miss one of these. You may think you are having double vision, but that's the way they look. The 55 plain doubled die go for $1,425.00 in extra fine and up to $37,500.00 in MS-65.

If the person you bought these from got them from a bank when new you may have a shot at having some good ones. Anyways you got a really good deal on all the rolls.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)

Nice LJ! You did fine as long as you like the coins!!
I think its a great thing reinvesting in the hobby, wheather you buy circulated, Proofs, or gold coins. And the fact that you bought them off another CRH in his twilight years is all the better!!

I say pass it along!!!! Congrats on the purchase!!

Great finds!

To go away from the book values here a bit... from my experiences buying some BU cent rolls you got a nice deal!

They do seem to be reprocessed, but should be worth at least double what you payed if you can find the right buyer. The other BU cent rolls at $10 a piece were a real bargain. Each of those should be $20 a piece. Congrats!

-CC

As long as you think they're worth it, you did great.

However...they do look plated, which dramatically reduces their value (but only to the typical, overly-picky, hard-boiled coin collector). Overall, I think you did ok, but not great.

Nonetheless, cool pic of your silver finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back