What's new

Token

mrjosh

Full Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Paducah, Kentucky & Hendersonville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today is searched a local park, back behind the ampitheature I found a token, ( will post a pic in a few days) Its about the size of a silver dollar, At the top it reads " Gene English " and at the bottom there may be the number 46 or48, still cleaning in the ultasonic cleaner, it is punched so a star forms in the middle. In the middle of the star is a us flag, all that seems to appear on the back is a horse shoe. Does anyone have any ideal what this may be. It was about 2" deep.
 
Your item is a stamped arcade coin. It was usually done at a fair or other similar place on a metal typer machine (see photos). They date from about 1938 to the 1980's as far as I can find. The patron purchased the blank and stamped his name or a slogan on the coin using the metal type machine much like the penny token machines of today.

Gene English was probably the patron that owned the one you have and it was probably done in 1946 or 48. You can probably locate him in the area where you found it by looking in an old city directory or online site. It would be neat if he is still alive and you were able to find him. I found a Gene English buried in Marshall County, Kentucky at this web site. http://files.usgwarchives.org/ky/marshall/cemeteries/dees.txt He lived during that time but would have been about 10 years old in 1948.


See this link for a site that does repairs on the old machines for some good photos. http://marvin3m.com/arcade/mettype.htm


There were variations with a Horseshoe or with a Four Leaf Clover. They were good luck medallions and were normally worn with one of those aluminum bead chains.
 

Attachments

  • metal typer machine1.webp
    metal typer machine1.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 326
  • metal typer machine 2.webp
    metal typer machine 2.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 310
  • metal typer machine.webp
    metal typer machine.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
That is it, thank you for your help. This is my first good luck coin / token. There are alot of English's in this area. Its possible the one you found could be the same one.
 
Upvote 0
Good ID Chief, without a pic! :o :icon_thumright:I remember those machines as a kid.
 
Upvote 0
By looking at the pic you sent me and others that I have found since I think someone may have reversed the coin in the stamp process.
 
Upvote 0
Is it punched on the flag side??
 

Attachments

  • arcade good luck token.gif
    arcade good luck token.gif
    14 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
Thanks B.C. I have found three of these in 19 years of hunting. When I read the description, I knew what it was. I had never done the exact research on the origin of the machines, etc. I was told by another hunter when I found the first one that he knew it was something he had seen at a Country Fair many years ago. Now I know more than ever about them.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
DaChief said:
Thanks B.C. I have found three of these in 19 years of hunting. When I read the description, I knew what it was. I had never done the exact research on the origin of the machines, etc. I was told by another hunter when I found the first one that he knew it was something he had seen at a Country Fair many years ago. Now I know more than ever about them.

Jim
I remember these as a kid at Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh late 50's early 60's. You could put whatever you wanted on them one letter at a time. You had to pull the lever for each letter or space.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom