Tokens vs. medals vs. coins

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Just as a matter of semantics, I like to differentate among tokens, medals, and coins. My own definitions are helpful to me - ignore or use them as you wish:

Coin - a disk, usually of metal, issued by government authority to represent a certain amount of currency of the land. Coins used to have an "intrinsic value", i.e. the metal was worth approximately the "face value" on the metals market, but they seldom do anymore.

Token - a disk, often of metal, but sometimes of cardboard, fiber, wood, or plastic, that is issued by an individual or business to substitute for coins. Tokens seldom have an intrinsic value, they are seldom recognized by the government, and, in fact, were sometimes outlawed. Many tokens were issued strictly as advertising devices and were not redeemable. This is one of the gray areas in collecting tokens.

Medal - a disk, usually of metal, issued to commemorate a person, achievement, or event. Medals are issued by both governmental authorities and private organizations. They may well have intrinsic value - a gold medal, for instance - but never represent currency.

The term "disk" for all of these items really just means a flattish piece of material - not necessarily round.

Best,
John in Idaho

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I would subdivide tokens into good fors with a listed value and storecards with the name of the issuer with or without location. Similar to storecards but with a wider distribution would be the manufacturers tokens touting their wares or products and sometimes offering a discount that they would reimburse the merchant for. Many soap tokens fall in this category closely followed by the cigar brand tokens. good work as usual from you, exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread