Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Restoring a piece like this to make it displayable takes real skill and patience.
This is just beautiful Tom, I love the before and after pics of your restorations as well. :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• Nuppenglas.jpg
    Nuppenglas.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom posted a video, once, on how to restore glass pieces. I would not have the patience!

It is this one below! Stephen Koop is an absolute HERO in glass restoration! He and his colleagues are also nice guys and very helpful!! I think the best in the world at the moment.

The videos are nice to watch, specially when he recreates missing parts out of plastic which fits perfectly in color! This is not easy to do.

Part one and two

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Buddy! :occasion14:

Thanks for the videos Tom, very interesting. :thumbsup:
Personally, I wish I had the patience to do this type of work.
My teenage daughter has the same problem I do, she can't sit still for more then 10 minutes at a time. :laughing7:

Did you know that Tnet has a 'Restoration Forum', you should post some of your projects here... Restoration Projects
Dave

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is this one below! Stephen Koop is an absolute HERO in glass restoration! He and his colleagues are also nice guys and very helpful!! I think the best in the world at the moment.

The videos are nice to watch, specially when he recreates missing parts out of plastic which fits perfectly in color! This is not easy to do.

Part one and two

Tom thanks again buddy.....I remember you posting that for me when I had a broken bottle I wanted to fix.....that is not easy. Incredible stuff though !!

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the videos Tom, very interesting. :thumbsup:
Personally, I wish I had the patience to do this type of work.
My teenage daughter has the same problem I do, she can't sit still for more then 10 minutes at a time. :laughing7:

Did you know that Tnet has a 'Restoration Forum', you should post some of your projects here... Restoration Projects
Dave

Didn´t know that yet!

I wish the mods could put this entire Thread into this section with the title "Tom´s Restorations".
Don´t know which Mod could do that....

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
A still ongoing project.

I bought for my own collection this Isis from the Major James Findlay collection who bought it in the 50s

Before:

7258.jpg Isis (3).JPG Isis (6).JPG Isis (7)(1).JPG Isis (8).JPG

Just the gold inlaid Collar was cleaned so far and all other people include the seller thought that it is not to rescue.

High at the moment without restored horns: 18,5 cms

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Pics from the still ongoing cleaning.

Two of the small golden eye inlays was pushed out but was found in the upper layers and will be replaced later.

7.jpg The cleaned upper leg shows how it will look later overall with a nice red-green and black noble patina.

_MG_7189.JPG Found also a gold inlaid necklace with a Kauri shell (stands for fertility) on the Child Horus :laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_7180.JPG
    IMG_7180.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
How it looks at the moment.

Face before cleaning

IMG_7174.JPG

almost cleaned but still many fine details to do:

IMG_7390.JPG IMG_7393.JPG IMG_7394.JPG

The arms was movable in the past and the Harpocrates was to remove! Such bronzes are rare to find :hello2:

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Could need some time before I can post more pics of this Isis because I only work on it if I am in the right mood! It MUST be perfect at the end :laughing7:

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom, it is a true gift you have to be able to see through all the rust and corrosion to the original items beauty and make it live again. I hope things go well for you, we can`t afford to lose such talent.

Thank you so much Buddy!

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
In for updates on leather pouch and broken grenade!

Still in a bath to remove this stuff the diver put on it... It is some kind of mixture of wax and fat...

It must be complete washed out before it can go in PEG for final conservation and sew it together again over a modern wood core reconstruction.

Just have to check it it looks at the moment. May it is ready to go now. Than pics will follow quickly! The diver is also asking for it :laughing7:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just amazing looking results Tom. :thumbsup:
Ancient pieces like this need to be stabilized and preserved for future generations, otherwise they will eventually become unstable and unrestorable.

When does this piece date from?
Dave

Attachments

• Isis (6).JPG
    Isis (6).JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Just amazing looking results Tom. :thumbsup:
Ancient pieces like this need to be stabilized and preserved for future generations, otherwise they will eventually become unstable and unrestorable.

When does this piece date from?
Dave

The entire style, the face and the movable Arms dates it to late New Kingdom, ramesside period, 19./20 Dynasty

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The entire style, the face and the movable Arms dates it to late New Kingdom, ramesside period, 19./20 Dynasty

Very cool Tom, I'd love to own a work of art as ancient as this some day.
All I can afford these days is a coloring book and a box of old crayons. :laughing7:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread