What's new

too many wheaties, not enough silver

Lilly0fA

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
73
Reaction score
219
Golden Thread
0
Location
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disappointing day today. Do you ever have days where the lack of silver coins is dumfounding? ??? Boo hooo. I went to a new site today. I knew it was old and started in the 1920s. I found a 1934 tax token, 6 wheat pennies, a 1947 and '40 nickel. I also found a sterling silver child's ring: unsure of the decade.

With all these wheaties, where is the silver??? :icon_scratch: So weird...
Think I should try again? I searched far and wide for hours, literally...

FullSizeRender (1).webp

***********************************************************************************************************
Thank you all for your encouragement! Is there such a thing as silver withdrawals? I think I had that the other day lol It's fixed now though as I pulled this pretty one out of the ground today! I also got 3 wheaties... :headbang:
IMG_4332.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 22
Wheates are good, keep searching the silver will be their..
 
Even today people lose more pennies than anything but the others will fall so yes there will be silver......Still a good day!
 
Just look at it like ur getting all those wheats out of the way to get the deeper silver!
 
Thank you all for your comments! There is a lot of trash at this place, 1-2 inches in the ground. There are pull tabs and beer bottle caps everywhere. I think it would help if I went through and got a lot of those out of there so that I can hear better. Perhaps that's what I should do! I didn't have the patience yesterday to get like 100 pull tabs out of the ground lol
 
Yes , Lily ("there is a Santa Clause ") Seriously , You have the right idea ! with a great machine like the Deus - take your
time , relax , enjoy the journey - most detectorists bail out of the heavy trash - You'll score !!!
 
Never can have to many Wheaties, Nice job
 
Congrats on pulling all that wheat. Grid them and hit both sites in 2 directions. Be sure to detect around shrubs and behind them. I have learned to slow my pace and to overlap sweeps more than in the past and yet when I hunt in the second direction I usually find more coins. Then go back and hit the sites after a good soaking rain. Good Luck
 
the ring is a nice bonus.... good luck finding the coins that shine
 
Thanks so much everyone for your comments! Argentium, yes that's a good thought! I think that's true too! Hopefully I can get all the trash out of there! Locco-Digger: good tips! I tried that today and guess what? It rained last night and the ground seemed to be better. The first round across, I didn't hear anything. The second time? I did!

Here's a start! 1941s :) View attachment 1220744
 
nice pile of coins!, good job on the merc, one of my favorite designs of us dimes!
 
Nothing at all wrong with that hunt.
That Merc is beautiful and that old silver ring is a great find.


All of those wheaties are just a bonus. Congrats on a great hunt.
 
Last edited:
I would like to see pics of that ring. It looks awesome from what I can see. Personally, I like silver jewelry much better than gold. The contrast between shine and dark with silver adds depth and definition to a design so much more. So far this year, my silver count has been very disappointing. Good luck on your return trips.
 
Nice finds! Keep searching. Even when I'm only finding clads I still stay in hopes of getting silver.
 
Nice job getting that merc ! My first merc was also a 1941 - in a large park in Santa Fe - maybe 8 years ago .
 
WTG on The Merc,,, I won't tell you to ignore any targets but I find that the steel bottle caps ring in at 91.
64 is a nickel, and 93 to 97 is definitely in the silver range. Do you recall what the Mercury dime came in at?
 
Against the wind: bottle caps are so annoying! But I can tell they are caps instead of something good as they sound flat. They do ring up between 89 to 94. Do you know what I mean by the flat sound, though it rings up at 92?

The Merc. rang up as a 92-94 and had the nice whistle-like tone instead of flat!
 
Garrett 424: Thanks! I would love to find out the decade the rings is from. Maybe I should post more pictures...
 
Old Dude: I am going to post more pictures of the ring! You do? I have yet to find my first gold anything...So far, it's so hard to tell gold from trash. I think it's the kind of detector I have. That's too bad about your silver count...That's always frustrating. Maybe it's the sites you're going to? Sometimes certain sites just suck or have been detected to death.

greatwun: exactly! Thanks!

Argentium: Cool 1941 huh? I have two 1941s now....It seems to be a popular year :) That's cool. It's hard to forget your first Merc.
 
Here are additional pictures of the ring...FullSizeRender (3).webpFullSizeRender (4).webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom