Took a while, but found something good!

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the member who recently found their first silver, I finally found something “good”! I have been at it about 2 1/2 years, found a couple of Barber dimes, few rosies, lots of clad. Tons of iron and lead and brass. Yesterday I was walking up the path to an old mining camp in the mountains to detect around the bunkhouses. I thought “why not?” and turned on my machine as I walked up the two track to the camp about half mile up the path. The at pro was silent for only a minute or two. First signal of the day, a screaming solid crisp 94 in the middle of the lane. Great, another piece of chrome or aluminum I thought to myself. The gravel was extremely compact and hard from the countless wagons, horses, oxen that had traversed the road for decades hauling tons of ore and supplies to and from the mines. I basically had to use my shovel as a pick to strike the ground and break through the hard crust. At about 5” I saw what I thought was a washer just barely peaking through the gravel. If you have detected mining sites, you know how much trash and parts are in the ground so I presumed I was removing more trash. I thought “oh well” and pryed it up with my fingers. Couldn’t believe my eyes. A freaking Morgan Dollar was staring back at me. I let out sort of a strange screech at the sight of it I was so surprised. Definitely the absolut coolest thing I have found. You just never know.....! 570AACA1-0013-4441-93CD-3D9F4DB39034.jpeg B9474C4E-1063-4F28-B8B8-4E9D49321D8F.jpeg

Upvote 54

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I've been looking for one of those for 35 years!

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Save! It's best when they surprise you like that!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Welcome to the silver dollar club! Grats on a great find.

With ALL the stuff you have dug, Steve in PA, very interesting that no morgan has showed for you.... YET!

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! Does it have a mint mark? Looks like CC and S are the best... but it's mega cool anyway!
Congrats on THAT! Probably wouldn't hurt to do a little more hunting in that general area... as you haven't already done/thought of that!

OP
OP
Timbermaster

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! Does it have a mint mark? Looks like CC and S are the best... but it's mega cool anyway!
Congrats on THAT! Probably wouldn't hurt to do a little more hunting in that general area... as you haven't already done/thought of that!
It has the “S” mint mark. E1F13A57-8D6A-4D72-9606-24F0A3C53A32.jpeg

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It really doesn't get any better than that! What a fantastic find. Finding a silver dollar has been on my list for many years...maybe some day. As you rightly say, " You just never know...." Congratulations Timber Master!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome chunk of silver. Still looking for my first. Congrats!!

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and story congrats excellant coin

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunk of silver, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Morgan. Glad it only took you 2 1/2 years to find one. It took me 10 years to find my first one, and another 10 years to find 2 more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread