Took my Tejon out today ~ I possibly found a virgin park

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discovered a new spot with Google maps.. This place is a park, but for some reason it's not listed on my towns park website. It doesn't have a kids playground. Just a community garden and some tables. It's behind a church in a neighborhood full of houses that were built in the 30's and 40's.

Now I was only out there for an hour and a half and I found 4 Wheat Pennies... Also found a little clad and 4 other non-wheat Copper pennies.

What do you guys think about this place being virgin? No way this place has been hunted before if I'm finding this many wheat pennies in such little time right? There has to be Silver in here.. I will be going back.

Pics were kinda hard to show, but the bottom row is the 4 Wheaties

20210611_212801.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!! Keep gridding it! Low and slow!!

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edit to add, It was 3 Wheaties and one single 1959.. It had a lot of build up on the reverse and I saw a five on the date on the obverse and just assumed it was a wheat.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the look of your finds, it certainly looks like it hasn't been hunted before. :thumbsup:
My concern is that this may be a 'private park' and my be on 'private property'.

I might suggest that you do some door knocking in the area asking the locals what they know about the park.
Dave

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible that the site has been "cherry picked " . If I crank my discrimination up all the way , I'll be leaving wheat cents in the ground ( and Indian Head cents) .This could explain not getting silver your first time there - definitely give it another go ! Take your time .

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's possible that the site has been "cherry picked " . If I crank my discrimination up all the way , I'll be leaving wheat cents in the ground ( and Indian Head cents) .This could explain not getting silver your first time there - definitely give it another go ! Take your time .

Yes ive seen MANY spots loaded with wheaties and not a silver ...
There are quite a few guys who dont dig anything copper penny or below ... but sometimes that can help, ive been to a park with only hiding silvers and since someone didnt dig anything copper penny or below..i Got a 2 center , 1835 half dime and half reale...all hit below a silver dime 21-22 on the nox , and were slamming signals , and anyone only digging silver dime signals and above passed over these....

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is certainly a possibility, but I found 2 clad Quarters out there and they hit on max discrimination.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your Tesoro should do just fine..., just dig everything that is a solid signal/repeatable....K?
GL+HH

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a cat in my lap, so one finger typing....

But looking at your settings on the Tejon = you oughta do some looking/studying on those.....

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds promising...I’d keep at it. I’ve had similar starts that dried up quickly but other times it was a steady gain. Keep at it and share your success with us.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very definitely go back and hit this place low and slow , go around the edges , look under bushes , hedges , trees etc. You may just grab some silver too !

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a cat in my lap, so one finger typing....

But looking at your settings on the Tejon = you oughta do some looking/studying on those.....

I should probably toy with the threshold more.. the ground balance is still something that I'm learning, but I am honing my skill and keep my machine fairly stable. As far as the other settings, it was late so I had both of my discs set at higher discriminations. I did toggle up/down some as I was detecting, but I didn't have a ton of ton time so I left them both mostly turned up. Sensitivity is off because that is just the power switch.

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the look of your finds, it certainly sounds like it's been hunted before. :thumbsup:
My concern is that this may be a 'private park' and my be on 'private property'.

I might suggest that you do some door knocking in the area asking the locals what they know about the park.
Dave

I did a little more studying.

It's not a private park, it's a community park dedicated by the nearby church who owned the land. It's just not managed by the city. It's a small place, about 2/7ths of a city block.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did a little more studying.

It's not a private park, it's a community park dedicated by the nearby church who owned the land. It's just not managed by the city. It's a small place, about 2/7ths of a city block.

I just edited my first post, I guess the coffee hadn't kicked in yet. :laughing7:
What I meant to say was...
it certainly sounds like hasn't been hunted before.

Sounds promising, best of luck when you get back. :thumbsup:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread