What's new

Tooth?

ipsilateral

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
331
Reaction score
141
Golden Thread
0
Location
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any help identifying this item would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking it may be walrus or whale, but am no expert. It's possible that it is horn, but has all the look of ivory..Fine cracks, yellowing. And a tooth with that long groove running down the length. 3.5 inches in length.
 

Attachments

  • Tooth1.webp
    Tooth1.webp
    71.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Tooth2.webp
    Tooth2.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Tooth3.webp
    Tooth3.webp
    65 KB · Views: 340
Looks like a natural tooth. Possibly very small whale? :dontknow:

The large patch in photo #2 looks like horn tho. And there's some epoxy mix filler :dontknow:

Whale teeth have a hollow conical base a lot like horn.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah, the filler's almost like concrete. The side of this I'm not showing in the photos is a bottle opener. Any way to tell for sure whether it's a tooth? And what kind if so? Below are sperm whale teeth..Do folks think this is pretty consistent?
 

Attachments

  • 5875-778266.webp
    5875-778266.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0
The more I stare at it, the more it looks like horn.

Heat up a needle so the tip glows red, and push it into the handle where it won't show. If it smells like burnt hair/fingernail, it's horn. Tooth won't smell like that.
 
Upvote 0
Its not horn,horn doesnt have grain.Pretty sure it is ivory,whale.walrus or remote chance of pig.


I dont know I am probably wrong
 
Upvote 0
Update..I spoke with a guy who deals whale and walrus ivory in Canada. He says it looks to be the tip of a walrus tusk. Thanks for all your help.
 
Upvote 0
My friend tried to grind the end of a pig tusk square yesterday. He said it stunk.
 
Upvote 0
Probably smelled like the dentist's office... OMG I hate that smell. But yeah bone/tooth smell vs horn/claw/nail/hair smell.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom