What's new

Tourmaline from Sweden

Tourmalinemadness

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sweden
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I have just started collecting minerals and have been visiting a mine area close to where I live in north of Sweden.
Thought I would share some of my findings with you. Would love to hear what you think, I don't really know what to expect to be a "good find" yet, as I just started this hobby.

Also, I wonder if iron-out would help to clean up some of the tourmalines?

322.webp

453.webp

451.webp

437.webp

Closeup on a small blue cluster
130.webp
 
Interesting specimen finds. Thanks for sharing those.
 
Upvote 0
I use super iron out "powder" when cleaning all my rocks and minerals, stuff works very well, try it on just one specimen first,I cleaned up black tourmaline good with it. One of the most important steps is to soak whatever you clean in super iron out in fresh water for at least 2 or 3× the amount of time, if you soak them in SIO for 48hours, soak them in fresh water for 4 to 6 days afterwards changing the water daily for best results.
If you want the wet look, a really easy way is buy a can of rustoleum gloss×2 uv protection and give it an even light coat or for even better results I put a specimen in acetone then I spray the acetone with the same stuff then let it evaporate, it fills in any cracks and comes out gorgeous,even and shiny. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND GLOVES!
Steve.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice! Will try the ironout on a small rock, might try the wet look trick aswell :)
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Super iron out "powder" only:icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
The green tourmaline is called Elbaite. That and the blue are from lithium rich pegmatites, which are igneous (volcanic) in origin. You've got some nice specimens there.
 
Upvote 0
Steve do you have any finished examples of the acetone/spray gloss method? I am always looking for new ideas to achieve wet look results.



I use super iron out "powder" when cleaning all my rocks and minerals, stuff works very well, try it on just one specimen first,I cleaned up black tourmaline good with it. One of the most important steps is to soak whatever you clean in super iron out in fresh water for at least 2 or 3× the amount of time, if you soak them in SIO for 48hours, soak them in fresh water for 4 to 6 days afterwards changing the water daily for best results.
If you want the wet look, a really easy way is buy a can of rustoleum gloss×2 uv protection and give it an even light coat or for even better results I put a specimen in acetone then I spray the acetone with the same stuff then let it evaporate, it fills in any cracks and comes out gorgeous,even and shiny. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND GLOVES!
Steve.
 
Upvote 0
careful with iron out on some stuff...test a small sample that you dont really care about first before doing a batch. I had some nice feldspars turn green on me recently....reduced the iron from fe III to feII. Also make sure you do it outside or in a ventilated area.

Thanks for the advice! Will try the ironout on a small rock, might try the wet look trick aswell :)
 
Upvote 0
Fuss, If the iron out turned green as well, stick them back in hot water and a little super iron out. Give me a minute on looking for a example, I sell most everything I prospect but let me have a look.
 
Upvote 0
Ok I found one I did about two years ago in the garage, this was one I was practicing on, I didn't clean it very well before I gave it the wet look, you can see dirt still under it lol but two years in a hot Az garage covered in dust and not cleaned very good, I'd have to say it works pretty well.

20190813_141912~2.webp20190813_141952~2.webp
 

Attachments

  • 20190813_065702~2.webp
    20190813_065702~2.webp
    260.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190813_064058~2.webp
    20190813_064058~2.webp
    505.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190813_064540.webp
    20190813_064540.webp
    238.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190813_065813~2.webp
    20190813_065813~2.webp
    354.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Upvote 0
No it's a fire agate/chalcedony with druzy quartz specimen, there's a lot of calcite out where I gather and dig for fire agates though.
 
Upvote 0
20190813_091525.webp
Some of the nicer calcite out there...
 
Upvote 0
The blue tourmalines are stunning for being from Sweden. We don't get tourmalines all that often. :)
 
Upvote 0
Thanks! They are from Varuträsk mine in Västerbotten. What part of Sweden are you prospecting? 

Ahhh sorry for the late reply. I thought I had replied and now found out I hadn't.

South Sweden/Småland is my general area. And yeah I figured they'd probably be from the Varuträsk area. :icon_thumleft:
Just not a whole lot of other places you find such fine specimens of tourmaline. (or I just forgot):laughing7:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom