WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I found another piece of a trade musket side plate....this is the fourth piece I've found now. Apparently the natives used to tear the snake/dragon plate off the rifles as they felt they were evil, bad luck or some kind of demon thing. I've love to find a whole one but I don't think it will happen.

IMG_7790.JPGIMG_7747.JPG

These are the others I have found.

5259032933_f110973862_o.jpg

Upvote 6
those are really neat

It's not whole; it's a fragment, but what a beautiful fragment! I'd love to recover such a find. I've been hoping for one of those for a long time.

Good Hunting

I've seen a couple of complete ones posted... they're great relics. Hunting good non disturbed sites I'm sure is the way to get a whole one.

Great find! In studying to build a replica Northwest trade gun I have actually seen several photos of native Americans wearing the serpent sideplates around there necks as jewelry so I don't think they removed them because they were evil. More likely removed to repurpose them as decorations.

I've also read that the natives used to "ritually sacrifice" the rifle when it had served its purpose and that's why the side plates are often destroyed. I'm not sure but I sure like finding them.

How about that ! that is very odd the natives would toss that relic ,
who would figure out that looks like an evil spirit ......... :icon_scratch:

imo it's something that looks kool :laughing7: interesting thread,

thanks

dawg

That's one relic that's been on my list for years. Would love to find a complete one. Seems like most of them come from fur trade sites, and the upper northern and mid-northern U.S. and Canada.

Congrats,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back