Looking to see if anyone has any info on this Trade token. 25mm across and brass. Back is blank. Found in South East Texas. Thanks.
Hard to see in pic, but on left between the two spots is the letter "E". So it's...*E*ST . GUILHEM
My suggestion would be to email a pic of your token find to Mark Parker at Western Eastern Treasures Magazine.
He's an amazing resource to have when it comes to early American tokens.
I suspect this is from the Metropolitan Saloon of Eugene St. Guilhem as listed in the 1905 City Directory of Galveston. I'll run it by the TX trade token cataloger.
Lockster - the TX cataloger concurs with the Galveston attribution. Would you please post it to tokencatalog.com or I could with permission to use your pics. A pic of the blank reverse would also be needed. Also the measurement "across the flats". Thanks!
John
Eugene was still in Galveston in August of 1914 when he was listed in the Galveston Daily News (Page 10) as approving the product, Calumet Baking Powder--as shown here: https://newspaperarchive.com/galveston-daily-news-aug-01-1914-p-10/
No doubt a vital piece of research for your token- then again, maybe not, but I enjoyed doing the research.
Don....
I'll get some good pics and send it to token catalog. I actually have put one on before. This would be my second.
This token was actually found in Galveston...so I believe the info is correct.
Thanks again. Happy..happy.