Training Mission Produces Silver #52 and Another IHP

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went by Tony's today and his pick-up was in the driveway. :thumbsup: I pulled in and knocked. Tony came to the door and explained to me that he has bought his son a metal detector for Christmas and I can hunt his yard as long as I allow his son to use my back-up detector and provide him some tutelage. After I got him geared up with a garden trowel, nail apron, knee pad, pin pointer and my BH LRP detector off we went with the training. He is an outstanding young man. He ended up digging about 75 cents and the coolest relic was a flattened aluminum "White's Sewing Machine" thimble. I hunted the front yard off and on during the training mission. I ended up pulling a 1950 rosie (silver #52) :hello2: , 3 wheats (1941, 45, & 53D) :hello2: along with a 1907 IHP. :hello2: Around 2PM he had to get ready to go somewhere with his family, so instead of pounding his yard, I left so he has some good targets to dig when he gets his new detector. From the price Tony quoted of $60 I assume it's a low end BH detector. Since I started with a low end detector last year I am more than confident that with my help, he will become a MD legend. 8-)

Off I went looking for another site to hunt. I drove by the house where I pulled the LC yesterday and noticed the house is for sale. :BangHead: With this in mind I did not stop, presuming the owner wouldn't want his front yard dug up when he is trying to sell the place. I ended up going 2 lots to the North. This is the original home site that was subdivided back in the late 1800s. It's still about 5 acres of which I have already hunted a few times in the past 2 years. I dug copper tubing, cans and a lot of other trash today. It's never a good sign when you dig modern soda cans at 6 inches. To me this means that fill was introduced to the site and then leveled. The only good target dug there today was a clad dime.

Today's Notables

20151206_145250.jpg

All Finds

20151206_145207.jpg

As always, hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today

Upvote 19

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job squeaking another silver in before the end of the season! Awesome job mentoring the kid. It's always nice to see today's youth getting involved with a hobby like this.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good in me has came from people I respected and where willing to point me in the right direction. Thanks to you for passing it around.:thumbup::thumbup:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good in me has came from people I respected and where willing to point me in the right direction. Thanks to you for passing it around.:thumbup::thumbup:

By the way, nice digs

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good digs LD. I would have skipped the yard so the young man had some potential targets too. You never know about the house for sale though unless you ask!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet hunt man[emoji106]🏼

Thanks IH

Nice job squeaking another silver in before the end of the season! Awesome job mentoring the kid. It's always nice to see today's youth getting involved with a hobby like this.

Thanks Nepa

Glad to help the little one, I originally thought Tony wanted to learn. I will continue to stop and check on him and offer more training if the bug bites hard. 50 silvers was a struggle so I will not raise my goal for 2016.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and its good of you to help a novice discover the worlds greatest hobby!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Not a problem RN, I was an assistant den leader and stayed involved with he Boy Scouts until the son went on to other things.

Nice job on the coins and helping the young man.

Thanks Pinball. Everytime I look at your Avatar I see an upper receiver assembly from an M16.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Job Loco! Better then my 2 clad post '70's dimes. And..............way to go on the IH and rosie:thumbsup:

Thanks digger, the finds feed the fire, but it's really all about getting out and swinging the coil.

Good digs LD. I would have skipped the yard so the young man had some potential targets too. You never know about the house for sale though unless you ask!

Thanks OD, you are right, all he can do is say yes or no. I have a 50/50 shot. I only hunted about a 20' x 40' area and that's maybe 5% of the total detectable property. The house was built around 1900 and was an assisted living home for decades. Some of the property was used by the railroad. The boy is very interested in getting back in that area and digging iron.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have just created a Treasure Hunting Legend with your tutelage. Congrats!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice of you lending your knowledge to the young man in the skills of detecting. Yup there's no harm in knocking as it's a 50/50 shot, also try the line of you could look for and mark out where the property stakes are located as the owner will need them to prove or get another survey done when the sale happens.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrats on the Rosie Loco, I really like the #15 brass tag too! :thumbsup:

Get back out there while you still can,
Dave

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done sir. Glad to see that you got out for a bit of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread