Transporting dredge and equipment to remote areas, Any ideas ??

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a folding aluminum cart for my thre inch. It will handle al the dredge, gas, weights, and buckets if I can pull it!! 300 plus pound is hard to pull up a hill!!

cart2-1.jpg

cart3-1.jpg

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice rig kiln , I saw that pic before - one of my favorite setups .

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pack it in and out by hand. Builds good character and keeps you fit.

Like Hoser I am used to packing into unsane canyons but for great incentives.
happy0203.gif

One of these great packboards should help in your journey: http://www.majorsurplus.com/Swiss-Freight-Frame-P14498.aspx

If you use a cart, brakes are a must unless your flatlanding it. Then I would assume you are not in Cal.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used wheels off a wheel chair and an aluminum crutch as a handle to haul my 2 1/2" setup.

Will have to take a photo to show how it was done. My 6 1/2 hp pump is from Harbor Freight and is large and heavy so I had to come up with something.

I wanted to carry the pump, the sluice, the hopper, the hoses, nozzle, buckets, and pans etc. in one trip.
Soon as I get a photo I will post it. The whole setup only cost me $15 for a used wheelchair from Goodwill Industries.

GG~

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were to haul all that in on my back I would need a wheel chair. Three bulged discs...

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear that.

If you decide to go the cart route don't take the brake recommendation lightly.
Holding back a cart wanting to run away all the time won't do the old back any good either.
Been there done that.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best crash I ever saw due to no brakes was below Briceburg as Stoner Daves brand new 5" triple(never even used) with dual engines took off down that steeeeeep grade,took off flying when it hit a boulder and smashed in 100's a pieces--too much puff puff and no forethought and listen to anyones warning NOT. PS-dredges do fly but the landing is amazing-John :tongue3: :laughing9:

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what you're saying is I should add some landing gear to my dredge? :laughing7:

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of which, helicopters are a wonderful way to get everything into location. Tight canyon or not with no sweat on your brow. :icon_thumright:
Especially those big honkin dredges you can't pack in by hand.

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
Speaking of which, helicopters are a wonderful way to get everything into location. Tight canyon or not with no sweat on your brow. :icon_thumright:
Especially those big honkin dredges you can't pack in by hand.
Like this suggestion a lot.

Saw a picture of a great set up - double fronted (turns up at both ends) sled with honda 3.5 horse, powered winch on the front, had hand operated disc brake for down hills. Haul to a tree, tie off, haul to next tree. Have to use ground anchor if no tree where you want it. Can't remember what it was hauling but thought it would be good for hauling dredge gear up steep terrain. Nuggy

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggy...
Can you find a pic of that unit?

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jog, sorry no can do, too long ago, can't even remember where I saw it now (think it was on net). Had 3 computers die completely in the last 10 years, with nothing recoverable - last one just a couple of months back. Had my important files backed up, but had a folder of interesting net pix that went forever in first crash, think it was in there.
Remembered the motor was 3.5 Honda as I have 2 of them doing nothing much, got a dim memory that the motor had a built in reduction, and the winch was a pto type off 4wd? Nuggy

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like skidding like loggers use on logs. I would have like to see a picture just for curiosity. Self powered skid???
I have tried alot of different ways to get equipment and gear down into those river canyons. Some worked alright and some just failed miserably.
Helicopter is by far the best and second is ATV's which we use alot when at all possible and if nothing else will do load it up on pack frames and pack it in by hand.
All dependant on the circumstances and the amount of funding available and how much gold could be recovered. Just remember, Jog, always a way for certain. ;D

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone with all the great ideas.
I like the sled idea, may half to take a look at a chainsaw winch or something of that nature.

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jog, just had a idea pop in. :icon_scratch:

There are plenty of dredgers here in California that are desperate, with the dredge ban and all, and willing maybe more than willing.
Here it is:
Put up notice and find/pick one of these individuals and have them pack all your stuff into your claim for you, and out as well.
In exchange they will get to dredge on your claim. Win-Win.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
jog, just had a idea pop in. :icon_scratch:

There are plenty of dredgers here in California that are desperate, with the dredge ban and all, and willing maybe more than willing.
Here it is:
Put up notice and find/pick one of these individuals and have them pack all your stuff into your claim for you, and out as well.
In exchange they will get to dredge on your claim. Win-Win.

Are you first on the list? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog...
I have just picked up a claim on the Sixes river, looking at the map that may not be very far from where you are in Cal, When I get ready to go work that one I may put out an invitation. It's not a bad one to get in and out of so I should be able to get my Fat Butt down to the river. Much better than another one I have.
Haven't been able to put a dredge into this one yet.

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jog, all good.
I would not put off any dredging up there in Oregon. It looks like they are following Cals lead and are trying to snuff it out also. The influx of dredgers from here propably isn't helping this matter.
We're going on to the second season of the dredge ban, two years without dredging. :help: Not Good at ALL!!!!
The price is so high too, but as I said there are plenty of other methods to recover gold. Hardest thing was to adapt from dredging to one of those other ways. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread