What's new

Treasure hunting and Thermal imager

Aztalan

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2018
Messages
59
Reaction score
82
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thermal imager is a great tool to use in our searching. Precious metals retain heat from the sun. After the sun goes down you can use the thermal imager to find heat signatures of precious metals. The thermal imager is also a good tool to find cold spots - caves as well. The following pictures show both hot spots as well as cold spots. 20181029_163019.webp20181029_163019.webp20181029_163538.webp20181029_163538.webp20181029_163538.webp20181029_163538.webp20181029_163607.webp
 
One cup is full the other only 1/4 full thought this would be a good show of thermal image capabilities
 
I cant see this working for MDing. I use one at work, and it only shows surface temps. So unless you are looking for a surface item that hasn't dissipated its heat, you would be out of luck
 
We use these on the fire department and used to use them at work. They show the difference in temperatures and I think everything underground would be the same temp. The only way I could see it working was on things laying on top of the ground.
 
I've been looking at them for a while, but the prices need to come down and reflect reality a bit better before I get into it.
Very good tools for detecting where a body was 10 seconds ago in a fire. Life saver for sure.
 
I saw them using one of those on "Expedition Unknown". I think they were looking for some kind of treasure in the middle of the African desert.
They used it after sundown to see metal objects in the ground that were still warmer than the surrounding dirt. They actually found some pistols from the Germans in WWII
 
I can see that. Dry sand or desert soil doesn't hold heat due to lack of moisture. A larger piece like a gun would hold heat for a while, as opposed to something like a ring or small coin
 
I saw them using one of those on "Expedition Unknown". I think they were looking for some kind of treasure in the middle of the African desert.
They used it after sundown to see metal objects in the ground that were still warmer than the surrounding dirt. They actually found some pistols from the Germans in WWII

=========
I saw that as well and wondered. I believe they attached it to a drone at night in order to cover a larger area. They were looking for a lost horde of Krugerrands.
 
I have been wondering the same thing about thermal imaging. I have a FLIR that I have used for several years (non prospecting). I think it would work well in mountain regions to locate large deposits. Although, you would need to be in a location that has not been picked clean (like Colorado). For exploratory purposes (amazon basin) it would be an excellent tool to find ancient remains of past civilizations (thus treasure).
 
One cup is full the other only 1/4 full thought this would be a good show of thermal image capabilities

Whats the max. range of that imager ?
 
=========
I saw that as well and wondered. I believe they attached it to a drone at night in order to cover a larger area. They were looking for a lost horde of Krugerrands.

Would probably work on large iron objects like pistols in sand but it would never work on gold or silver. Both gold and silver are superior conductors and always reach ambient temperature at the same rate as the surrounding soil. Those Krugerrands might be out there but a thermal image will never distinguish them from the sand no matter what time of day.
 
What is the model of the device?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom