treasure location

Jim Hatt

Jan 3, 2010
Apache Junction, AZ
jimb said:
The truth is, I KNOW where the LDM is. The question is what should I do about it? My wife says go dig it up. But I am 68 and getting too old to be playing in the mts. When I was a young paratrooper it would have been a breese, but now I have to think twice. I don't even ride a horse, the only way to get there. And I trust no one! But we are talking a lot of gold here. Then again maybe the mine is there but is there gold in it?

I think your wife is right Jim,

If you believe that much that you are correct. You should go for it and take a look. Barring any serious health issues of course, but I dint think she would be recommending you do if you weren't in good health. There isn't anywhere in the Superstitions that you could not get to on foot with a little determination applied.

I have hiked out there with men in their 80's and even one that was 92. So age is no excuse for not doing it. You don't want to do it without a lot of planning beforehand. But if you make some local connections with people who know the mtns. and strike up a good relationship with them. I don't see any reason you could not do it.

I could even refer you to some trustworthy people, if you get to thinking about it and want to pursue the idea a little further.

Update:

Jim,

I was called to dinner and had to cut this post short before I finished telling you everything I was thinking.

First... It is possible to enter the Southern end of the mountains in the morning, and exit on the West or North end before the sun goes down, during this time of year when the days are short. That would not give you any time to do any exploring off trail, but it does give you an idea of what size the Superstition Wilderness Area is. Now if you know the exact Lat/Lon you wanted to go to and look around, it is quite possible you could go to the area, and back out in a one day hike. (Depending of course how close a major trail comes to it, and how much off trail hiking you would have to do).

Overnight trips are a piece of cake this time of year because you do not have to pack in (on your back) all the water required to do the same thing in the summertime. I have made many 3 day trips in there with nothing more than a 30-35 lb backpack, and not had to ration anything.

The point I am trying to make is that a quick trip to just go look at a predetermined specific location isn't really such a big deal.

If you really think you have something figured out, and like I said, you are in good health. You will be kicking yourself in the A$$ 10-15 years from now for not doing it back when you could have. If you pass the information on to someone (other than a close relative) so they can go check it out for you, and they report back that there was nothing there... You will always wonder if they told you the truth.

If you do it yourself, and it turns out that you were wrong and there is nothing there, you will have the memory of the trip and the experience to tell your Grandchildren about, and you will not have to lay awake at night wondering if you were right.

All you really need... Is to have as much faith in yourself as your wife seems to have in you.

Best,

Jim

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimb:
I see that there has been quite a number of posts and replies made to your topic since I left for work this morning.
I have no wish to derail the subject any further with diversions down other avenues of discussion.You seem to be gathering some interest in your ideas,which is what participation on these sites is all about.I may jump in from time to time,but I think that it might be a good idea to start another thread on which to question or answer some of what was posted today.
Good luck.

Regards SH.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Ladies & Gentlemen: sheesh ---------------5th---------------. R E L A X ! You are shooting for a very shallow victory.

Don Jose de La Mancha
"I exist to Live, not live to exist"

RD do you want walk around the whole line of BS .. we can leave all these fools on the web and go to the mine ... easyer then trying to make sence of all this ego BS ...

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"My cholla needle sandals prob wouldn't make it."

Thems far more comfortable than a choya ball whoopie cushion,RD,I can assure you. :o

Regards:SH.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the high price of gold now. Does anyone know what the value of the LDM is worth now?

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
BB, I am just a chaste, quiet, self communing Saint in a backwoods cave. My cholla needle sandals prob wouldn't make it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

i did not ask if you and your mule got a thing going ... i already knew that ... she likes your cave dont she ....lol

a new spin on the donkey show .. i think iam going to be sick ,,....lol

what ever packs your ore dude...lol

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimb said:
With the high price of gold now. Does anyone know what the value of the LDM is worth now?

Absolutely no way of knowing. Whatever gold ore samples have survived from Waltz's candlebox under his bed when he died (if any exist) would have been hand cobbed as "best/richest" specimens therefore likely be completely un-representative of the mine itself. Beyond that, there's no way of knowing how much is in the mine to start with.

The only thing one could say with certainty is that it would be worth ~50-70 times more than when Waltz was alive.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Cubfan64 said:
jimb said:

Absolutely no way of knowing. Whatever gold ore samples have survived from Waltz's candlebox under his bed when he died (if any exist) would have been hand cobbed as "best/richest" specimens therefore likely be completely un-representative of the mine itself. Beyond that, there's no way of knowing how much is in the mine to start with.

The only thing one could say with certainty is that it would be worth ~50-70 times more than when Waltz was alive.

Actually, it's worth the same today as it was then. The dollar, however, has lost 98% of its purchasing power since then.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things to think about. JW was a farmer, not a mountain climber. Neither was the DR. who was led to the mine by a local. I doubt that anyone would make trips to a mind often if it was unacessable. It had to be easy to get to!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimb said:
Some things to think about. JW was a farmer, not a mountain climber. Neither was the DR. who was led to the mine by a local. I doubt that anyone would make trips to a mind often if it was unacessable. It had to be easy to get to!

Can you clarify who DR is and the story behind being led to the mine by a local?

As far as the mine being difficult to get to/find, there is a story about a Native American woman who claimed to be part of a group as a child who spent some time covering over several mines at one time in the Superstitions. I believe the story goes that one of the mines was so difficult to get to/find that they decided not to bother covering that one.

I'm also wondering what convinces you that Waltz made trips "often" to the mine? Many dutch hunters believe he made only a few trips (2-4) during his lifetime.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
Paul,

I think he means doctor......

Take care,

Joe

Yes, I ment doctor and he was taken to the mine by an Apache. Can you picture a soft hand doctor scaling walls and crawling through thick brush? I cant!

Jim Hatt

Jan 3, 2010
Apache Junction, AZ
jimb said:
Blind, personaly I think you might need a chooper to get to the mine. I just do not know how JW or anyone else for that matter could ever get to it. Perhaps the Army might be able to! They have lots of equiptment to do the job!

Jimb... On Jan 17th (in the post above), you form the conclusion that a chopper would be needed to get to the mine. (Where you think it is)

jimb said:

Then... Just 2 days later (on the 19th above) you have reversed your theory 180 degrees, and decided that the mine "HAD TO BE EASY TO GET TO". (Again... where you think it is). Are we still talking about the same location here?

That is a pretty big Flip-Flop to take place in the short space of less than 48 hours, and leads me to believe that your "I FOUND IT" theory has not not been subjected to very much refinement, or self critique, to see if it will stand up to cross examination.

This is exactly the kind of conflicting conclusions we have all come to expect, from people who have never been in the mountains, yet make no hesitation before announcing to the world, that they have found the Lost Dutchman Mine.

One small change in a theory can often, and in most cases does... result in the theorist having to go all the way back to square one and rethink the entire theory. I once recommended that you simply go into the mtns, and have a look to see if your theory was correct. I am going to change that recommendation now, because I have come to believe that you are still a long ways from being ready for that. I even have concerns now, that such a venture might end in another missing hiker out there, and we sure don't need anything like that. (I am sure your wife doesn't either).

Best,

Jim

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Hatt said:
jimb said:
Blind, personaly I think you might need a chooper to get to the mine. I just do not know how JW or anyone else for that matter could ever get to it. Perhaps the Army might be able to! They have lots of equiptment to do the job!

Jimb... On Jan 17th (in the post above), you form the conclusion that a chopper would be needed to get to the mine. (Where you think it is)

jimb said:

Then... Just 2 days later (on the 19th above) you have reversed your theory 180 degrees, and decided that the mine "HAD TO BE EASY TO GET TO". (Again... where you think it is). Are we still talking about the same location here?

That is a pretty big Flip-Flop to take place in the short space of less than 48 hours, and leads me to believe that your "I FOUND IT" theory has not not been subjected to very much refinement, or self critique, to see if it will stand up to cross examination.

This is exactly the kind of conflicting conclusions we have all come to expect, from people who have never been in the mountains, yet make no hesitation before announcing to the world, that they have found the Lost Dutchman Mine.

One small change in a theory can often, and in most cases does... result in the theorist having to go all the way back to square one and rethink the entire theory. I once recommended that you simply go into the mtns, and have a look to see if your theory was correct. I am going to change that recommendation now, because I have come to believe that you are still a long ways from being ready for that. I even have concerns now, that such a venture might end in another missing hiker out there, and we sure don't need anything like that. (I am sure your wife doesn't either).

Best,

Jim

jim i agree 100%

anyone that dose not beleive that i have found the Ma mine /LDM.. come to the Redenous . and after i lay my cards on the table .. you can ask me question till you trun purple in the face if thats what you really want .. but when i get done i am walking to the mine and it will do my talking for me ... and to be totally honest here .. i dont thing anyone there will ask a singal question after i get done talking .. because your jaws will be laying on the ground

:coffee2: ...

Jim Hatt

Jan 3, 2010
Apache Junction, AZ
Blindbowman said:
jim i agree 100%

anyone that dose not beleive that i have found the Ma mine /LDM.. come to the Redenous . and after i lay my cards on the table .. you can ask me question till you trun purple in the face if thats what you really want .. but when i get done i am walking to the mine and it will do my talking for me ... and to be totally honest here .. i dont thing anyone there will ask a singal question after i get done talking .. because your jaws will be laying on the ground

And then there's THIS GUY! :laughing7:

Bob... This is Jimb's "I FOUND IT" discussion. If we get too many "I FOUND IT'S" in one discussion, it starts getting hard to tell the difference between them. I thought you had your own "I FOUND IT" discussion going somewhere else? You wouldn't like him coming into your "I FOUND IT" discussion and raining on your parade would you? Give the guy a break. We are giving him enough flack here as it is. ;D

Best,

Jim

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimb said:
cactusjumper said:
Paul,

I think he means doctor......

Take care,

Joe

Yes, I ment doctor and he was taken to the mine by an Apache. Can you picture a soft hand doctor scaling walls and crawling through thick brush? I cant!

jimb - are you referring to Dr. Thorne?

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Hatt said:
Blindbowman said:
jim i agree 100%

And then there's THIS GUY! :laughing7:

Bob... This is Jimb's "I FOUND IT" discussion. If we get too many "I FOUND IT'S" in one discussion, it starts getting hard to tell the difference between them. I thought you had your own "I FOUND IT" discussion going somewhere else? You wouldn't like him coming into your "I FOUND IT" discussion and raining on your parade would you? Give the guy a break. We are giving him enough flack here as it is. ;D

Best,

Jim

lol he can say what ever he wants to ... lol ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread