Treasure Mountain, CO - Lost Frenchmens Gold

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our group has been researching and looking for this treasure since 2004. After spending much time in the San Luis Valley, Pagosa Springs, and South Fork areas, we concluded that the Spanish had to have known French soldiers and miners were in the area from roughly 1748-1756. Also, again 1799-1802. This is because of the relationships that both Spanish and the French had with the local Indians. Furthermore, it would have been impossible to have groups ranging from 200 - 350 men that would have not been discovered. We have read your posts in this forum. You clearly have done much research.

The article you eluded too about the pistol is no surprise. It is a smoking gun. Our research so far places Spanish Conquistadors in the San Luis Valley as early as 1519. Oddly enough, we also had a gentlemen show us a book that possibly puts Montezuma himself in the San Luis Valley as far north as Antonito! How awesome would it be if it some day could be proven!

I think, in the Citadel, Maynard explains the need for the French to leave the Summitville area in the winter. Treasure Mountain is next to Wolf Creek and Summitville is within a day or less hike. There is no way the French would have endured 450" averages of snow at those altitudes. I have hiked TM several times, and know the Wolf Creek Pass area very well. It gets a lot of snow. Taos and Sante Fe would have been the winter destinations of these men. Look forward to your response.

Do you have any more info to share that you might have discovered.

Joshua9900

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Engelmann Spruce and Ponderosa Pines are the most common. If you want to see an example of such a large old tree, please stop at the Animas Museum in Durango, CO and look at the tree cookie they have on display there. It germinated in 1605, and didn't die until it was cut down near Vallecito Reservoir in the early 2000's.

Here is a blaze I found where I think the treasure is cached. It’s a trail mark that predates 1878, and was commonly used by Europeans and migrated to America. What’s interesting about it is that I found it at the top of a ridge I had to cross to get into a valley where I believe the treasure is.

Attachments

• 3FB25C8B-590F-45A5-AAF3-4EEFBE605054.jpg
    3FB25C8B-590F-45A5-AAF3-4EEFBE605054.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 129

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a blaze I found where I think the treasure is cached. It’s a trail mark that predates 1878, and was commonly used by Europeans and migrated to America. What’s interesting about it is that I found it at the top of a ridge I had to cross to get into a valley where I believe the treasure is.

Welcome to Tnet from the Western Slope I see this is your first post you will find lots of good info on this website. Nice tree blaze but be careful Joshua9900 I have been fooled many a time by the blaze. You need to be looking for carvings in stone that is the true indicator of the trail and the site.Here are a couple of blazes that are true to the time period to, these two trees are over 6 feet around good luck in your endeavors. IMG_4993.JPG

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tree blaze.jpg I have circled some thing in red to the left of the tree in the back ground you will have to magnify it but this is what to look for to, and I am saying it could be nothing to but research everything.Boots on the ground is the only way this will be found one of these days some one will stumble across it.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you date the blaze using a dendrochronologist?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes natural blemishes on trees end up looking man made. If you want to be sure, you have to investigate underneath the edges of the blaze to see if there are blade marks on the wood underneath. And if you want to date a blaze, you have to use tree rings to do so.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems almost impossible to stash soo much gold in the amount of time the Frenchman had while fleeing the Indians. Not here throwing cold water on this, just wondering how fast they could have done this with an attack breathing down they're backs?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems almost impossible to stash soo much gold in the amount of time the Frenchman had while fleeing the Indians. Not here throwing cold water on this, just wondering how fast they could have done this with an attack breathing down they're backs?

It was not Indians it was the Spanish who were behind the whole thing I believe the French were assimilated by the Spanish for over fear of death by the Spanish.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summitville 9-22-14 070.JPG Thought maybe some would like to see what treasure mountain looks like. Summitville 9-22-14 075.JPG Here is the Summitville mine you can see how the geology is high in mineral,s good prospecting. Summitville 9-22-14 070.JPG This is Cropsy peak very interesting place all these locations are close to Treasure Mountain. Summitville 9-22-14 072.JPG

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summitville Olympus camera 9-22-14 023.JPG Summitville Olympus camera 9-22-14 024.JPG Summitville Olympus camera 9-22-14 029.JPG Location can not be disclosed but this is close to the area of Treasure mountain many years spent travailing thru this country.

Joshua9900

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know if there is any information, about this 4 page translation, on page 321 of the book"200 Trails to Gold"?

The link goes to a closed blog that only allows you to access if you have permission. Can someone send me the link to these documents please? I looked in the 200 Trails to Gold and the documents are not in there.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was not Indians it was the Spanish who were behind the whole thing I believe the French were assimilated by the Spanish for over fear of death by the Spanish.
Did not the Spanish also put the Native Americans on alert to deal with any Frenchman seen poking around in what was then their domain?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my research of this legend it has taken me into the SLV I have talked with a few of the original folks who's ancestors of Spanish decent had tried to inhabit the area in general the Native Americans were not hospitable to them.There were many battles fought in this country over the Spanish habitation of this land this area was pretty sacred to the Native Americans.If you read in Pikes Journals of his journey into this land you will find when he came to this area the Native Americans were flying the Spanish flag he asked the chief why and he told him if he did not get along with them the Spanish would just attack them.So in my interpretation and this is just my interpretation the Spanish tried to control the Native Americans but only for fear of the Spanish attacking them and we know that did not last the Native Americans finally got tired of it and ran the Spanish out.So I believe the Spanish were ruling the area thru fear and actually told the French give us the gold or die and then they did, and the Native Americans later on took care of the Spanish as they were trying to remove it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread