Treasure Mountain, CO - Lost Frenchmens Gold

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Here's an article about one of the owners of the Denver Post and how the Post used yellow journalism. This is probably why the Post hired Josiah M. Ward, even after he was involved in a blackmail scheme when working for the Examiner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Gilmer_Bonfils

Maynard Adams Citadel Mountain books followed and seemed to be based on the Denver Post articles by Josiah M. Ward, almost to the point where you could read Ward's articles and not even have to read Adams books. With Ward's history at the Examiner and the yellow journalism of the period when Ward wrote the Treasure Mountain articles, I wonder if the whole thing was a scam from the beginning.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the flat area on Treasure Mountain that the French supposedly built their HQ? Anyone know?

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Where is the flat area on Treasure Mountain that the French supposedly built their HQ? Anyone know?

I have a chore list for today but I'll see if I can find it after my wife stops cracking the whip. Might not be till Thursday when I get back with you.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia about William Randolph Hearst, who owned the San Francisco Examiner when Ward worked there.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'll just briefly mention that W.R. Hearst's father, George Hearst, is alleged to have been involved in a very large treasure recovery - in addition to owning lucrative gold mines - in Pinos Altos NM in the 1800s. Makes you wonder if Ward might have heard campfire stories from W.R. and decided to cook some up for himself. Be that as it may, the French expedition, Pike's interesting itinerary and other treasure legends in the Arkansas River and Rio Grande headwaters regions still give one food for thought.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

There's a large low-grade area about a mile ENE of the top of the mountain, just above Lane Creek. Probably relatively easy to access.

image.png

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a large low-grade area about a mile ENE of the top of the mountain, just above Lane Creek. Probably relatively easy to access.

View attachment 1298970

There is a much larger and more flat area directly 1 mile to the north of the peak as well though. 37.471771, -106.822150

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

I looked back through the books and there was a low meadow and a high meadow on the east side of Treasure Mountain that were used as campsites. During the search in the late 1800's, a rock lined shaft was found at the upper meadow. The shaft went down 32 feet and there was another shaft at the bottom going NW for 200 feet. This was the shaft where the dowser was brought in. Some ore, with small amounts of gold was found at this time. Adams believes a gold bearing outcropping was found and followed down and NW. In book III, Adams has a picture of the top of this shaft. One of the searchers dynamited the shaft closed.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
For you folks who like to research names, here are some names from the second expedition, 1844-1848, that Adams included in his book.

Phillip Tabeau- Joined the second expedition in New Orleans. His grandfather, Remy Tabeau, was from Montreal, Canada. It isn't clear whether Phillip also lived in Montreal.

Jean LaBlanc- France

Pierre Lebreau- Limousin region of France.

Jean LaRouge- Grandson of Jacquez LaRouge from New Orleans.

Andre Chinard- Namesake of Andre Chinard who came from Canada for the first expedition. It's not clear where his grandson came from.

Claude Ledoux- A close friend of Pierre Lebreau. They were both in the second expedition and came from the Limousin region of France and lived near Mountmorillon.

If anybody checks on these names, please let us know what you find.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I don't want to derail this thread, but I'll just briefly mention that W.R. Hearst's father, George Hearst, is alleged to have been involved in a very large treasure recovery - in addition to owning lucrative gold mines - in Pinos Altos NM in the 1800s. Makes you wonder if Ward might have heard campfire stories from W.R. and decided to cook some up for himself. Be that as it may, the French expedition, Pike's interesting itinerary and other treasure legends in the Arkansas River and Rio Grande headwaters regions still give one food for thought.

Sdcfia, do you know anything about the treasure recovery that Hearst was involved with? I'd like to know where the recovery took place.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have an off-topic question to post: Has anyone ever heard of a newspaper article prior to 1964 mention the legend of the Lost Mine of the Window? I ask here because it is in the same neck of the woods as the legend of Treasure Mountain. I mentioned earlier that the father-daughter team had gotten the details of the two legends mixed up together. If anyone knows of a story about it in media prior to the 1960's, I would love to hear about it please.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Here's another name to research from Citadel Mountain III 1885-1920.

During 1885, A Frenchman named Remy Ledoux, from Paris, France, showed up at Summitville, Colorado to look for hidden gold left by the second expedition. His great-great-uncle, Bernard Ledoux, was in the first expedition and his great uncle, Claude Ledoux, was in the second expedition. In 1888, a hermit named Joe Mann found Remy's body in the East Fork of the San Juan River.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sdcfia, do you know anything about the treasure recovery that Hearst was involved with? I'd like to know where the recovery took place.

Yes. I'll be home in a couple more weeks and will email you some info when I can get to my notes (remind me if I forget). Even though the Hearst mines were on the west side of town, the alleged recovery incident took place northeast of town in the vicinity of Twin Sisters Peaks.

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an article about one of the owners of the Denver Post and how the Post used yellow journalism. This is probably why the Post hired Josiah M. Ward, even after he was involved in a blackmail scheme when working for the Examiner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Gilmer_Bonfils

Maynard Adams Citadel Mountain books followed and seemed to be based on the Denver Post articles by Josiah M. Ward, almost to the point where you could read Ward's articles and not even have to read Adams books. With Ward's history at the Examiner and the yellow journalism of the period when Ward wrote the Treasure Mountain articles, I wonder if the whole thing was a scam from the beginning.

Hello mdog

While I try to have a free neutral objective in researching such stories. It seems your most likely correct.

I dis a cursory inspection of various archival records search engines of the names you posted below.

For you folks who like to research names, here are some names from the second expedition, 1844-1848, that Adams included in his book.

Phillip Tabeau- Joined the second expedition in New Orleans. His grandfather, Remy Tabeau, was from Montreal, Canada. It isn't clear whether Phillip also lived in Montreal.

Jean LaBlanc- France

Andre Chinard- Namesake of Andre Chinard who came from Canada for the first expedition. It's not clear where his grandson came from.

Claude Ledoux- A close friend of Pierre Lebreau. They were both in the second expedition and came from the Limousin region of France and lived near Mountmorillon.

None of following exist in any archival records I have available access to in the United States, France or Canada.

Interesting of all Le and La is masculine and feminine in French.

Another factor is if we take those parts of the names away

Jean LaBlanc = Blanc is white in English

Pierre Lebreau = Breau is possibly misspelled French Canadian for Bleu in French which is Blue in English?

Jean LaRouge = Rouge is Red in English

Strange do you think that some of these people named Red White and Blue that does not seem to have any record of them in the archives are color coordinated?

Some ones Private little joke perhaps?

Amy

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked back through the books and there was a low meadow and a high meadow on the east side of Treasure Mountain that were used as campsites. During the search in the late 1800's, a rock lined shaft was found at the upper meadow. The shaft went down 32 feet and there was another shaft at the bottom going NW for 200 feet. This was the shaft where the dowser was brought in. Some ore, with small amounts of gold was found at this time. Adams believes a gold bearing outcropping was found and followed down and NW. In book III, Adams has a picture of the top of this shaft. One of the searchers dynamited the shaft closed.

Any chance you might offer a GPS and the photo of the shaft? I may try to go have a look-see as soon as the snow is melted off in the next couple of months.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hello mdog

While I try to have a free neutral objective in researching such stories. It seems your most likely correct.

I dis a cursory inspection of various archival records search engines of the names you posted below.

Jean LaBlanc- France

None of following exist in any archival records I have available access to in the United States, France or Canada.

Interesting of all Le and La is masculine and feminine in French.

Another factor is if we take those parts of the names away

Jean LaBlanc = Blanc is white in English

Pierre Lebreau = Breau is possibly misspelled French Canadian for Bleu in French which is Blue in English?

Jean LaRouge = Rouge is Red in English

Strange do you think that some of these people named Red White and Blue that does not seem to have any record of them in the archives are color coordinated?

Some ones Private little joke perhaps?

Amy

Hello Amy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to check those names. I really appreciate it and I'm sure the other members who follow this thread do too.

It doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find any information about those names. What does surprise me is that Adams would portray them as actual characters. The red, white and blue color scheme is an interesting observation. The colors of the French flag as well as the American flag, and probably more than coincidence, somebody having a little fun.

I think the only way to find out if there is any truth at all behind the legend would be to find old documents that describe activity in that part of Colorado. Adams includes Captain Louis de Villemont in the legend and there was such a person who claimed to have explored that region. Adams also included in his notes a letter that was written by Gov. Fernando Chacon in 1801 that advises the commandant of Taos to use Indian spies to find out what a group of French was doing in the territory. I have gotten in touch with the office of New Mexico Public Records and they said I could expect a response by the end of the month. I would like to confirm this expedition and see if there is some connection to Villemont. I don't have a lot of confidence in the legend but it would be nice to be able to confirm a French expedition and then work from there. If that's a bust, I'll be ready to move on.

Thank you again, Amy.

Rick

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Amy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to check those names. I really appreciate it and I'm sure the other members who follow this thread do too.

It doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find any information about those names. What does surprise me is that Adams would portray them as actual characters. The red, white and blue color scheme is an interesting observation. The colors of the French flag as well as the American flag, and probably more than coincidence, somebody having a little fun.

I think the only way to find out if there is any truth at all behind the legend would be to find old documents that describe activity in that part of Colorado. Adams includes Captain Louis de Villemont in the legend and there was such a person who claimed to have explored that region. Adams also included in his notes a letter that was written by Gov. Fernando Chacon in 1801 that advises the commandant of Taos to use Indian spies to find out what a group of French was doing in the territory. I have gotten in touch with the office of New Mexico Public Records and they said I could expect a response by the end of the month. I would like to confirm this expedition and see if there is some connection to Villemont. I don't have a lot of confidence in the legend but it would be nice to be able to confirm a French expedition and then work from there. If that's a bust, I'll be ready to move on.

Thank you again, Amy.

Rick

The Confederate National and Battle flags were red, white and blue also.

I know that the timing for the second French expedition - 1844-1848 - was wrong for a direct Reb connection, but those dates coincide with the Mexican-American War, which very much had implications for future plans of those in Texas and New Orleans who later did become the Confederacy. The French supported the Confederacy during the Civil War, at least on a money basis, and were about to side with them diplomatically until the North started winning on the battlefields.

Notwithstanding Villemont and Pike's documented but not-fully-explained snooping in the general San Luis Valley treasure legend arena (well worth pursuing), it's troubling that there is no solid bedrock establishing the activities or players in the French "recovery expedition" of LeBreau. As Amy discovered, the French names don't jibe at all. Also, I've found no mention of such an event in numerous reports from Taos Anglos of the period, or in the many surviving memoirs of the trappers who were active in virtually every canyon in the region for many years.

Current working model for me (always subject to change when facts emerge): the LeBreau 1844-1848 recovery story details were likely fabricated by Ward. Whether or not Ward had any knowledge of truly secret activities by any parties in Colorado is speculative, but possible. The so-called post-Civil War Confederate secret service (aka KGC, OAK, et al) may have cached valuables with a French connection (Maximilian's loot?) somewhere in the area.

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Amy,

Thank you again, Amy.

Rick

Hello mdog

This might be of interest? There is a record in the Saone-et-Loire, France Births, 1546-1905

Name: Louis Villemont
Birth Date: 27 avr. 1741 (27 Apr 1741)
Birth Parish: Cluny (notre Dame)
Father: André Villemont
Father Occupation: Maistre de danse
Mother: Claudine Voguet
1st Witness/Godfather: CHACHUAT Louis Greffier
2nd Witness/Godmother: ROLLET Marguerite Fille de Benoist blanchisseur

Also this might be of interest?

Louis Joseph De Villemont Born in LA, Orleans Parish, New Orleans on 22 Sep 1767 to Jean Pierre De Villemont and Françoise Dorothée Devillièrs. Death date unknown????

Born on 1742 to De Villemont and Mme De Villemont. Jean Pierre married Françoise Dorothée Devillièrs and had a child. He passed away on 1781.

Amy

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Tonight I was looking through an online book and found these two excerpts.

1390 NAVA, PEDRO DE. Chihuahua, July 14, 1797. Se-
cret.

To Governor Chacon :

On a rumored English invasion of the Spanish domin-
ions, from Halifax; especially a possible descent upon
New Mexico via the Mississippi and Missouri ; enjoining
vigilance in view of possible English and American de-
signs upon the loyalty of the Indians and the Spaniards ;
reconnoissance, arrest of foreigners, use of the Comanches
and other Indian allies, etc. 2f

(9) Answering January 22, 1801, on English expedi-
tion from Canada; plans for using Yuta and Genizaro
spies among the surrounding nations and the Cayugas,
Aas, Abajoses, Pananas, etc., on the Spanish side of the
Missouri; drills of militia under Captain Manuel Del-
gado, retired, and Juan de Abrego. 9f

Mdog here. I wonder if this could be the first French expedition. If so, it seems that the Spanish had an early warning. The descent into New Mexico from the Mississippi and Missouri goes along with Adams account of a two pronged expedition, one starting in St. Louis and the second starting in New Orleans.

Full text of "The Spanish Archives of New Mexico;"

The first clip is from item 1390 and the second from 1533.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread