What's new

Treasure trove doctrine

dowser

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
2,611
Reaction score
1,410
Golden Thread
0
Location
USA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
Other
In Michigan they don't let us keep the treasure, if we find one. That's keeping me broke!
It would be fun to visit the states that allow me to keep what I find.
Out of these 12 States, which treasure legend do you believe real?, and what would be my percentage if I located it with you, within one day..
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250825-124136.Google.webp
    Screenshot_20250825-124136.Google.webp
    99 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
If you keep your mouth shut, no one will take away your treasure.
If it's a legal treasure, why keep my mouth shut?
That's why I'm discussing Treasure Trove Doctrine, not how to evade the law..
 
I told my friend that I e-mailed the Royal Peacock Opal mine, and asked if Dowsing was allowed!
They replied," it's never been requested, but yes let us know when your here, and we can tell the Mine operator it's a ok.."
My friend then said, but you don't have to tell them!
I live in a different world I guess. I would notify as I was requested..
 
In Michigan they don't let us keep the treasure, if we find one. That's keeping me broke!
It would be fun to visit the states that allow me to keep what I find.
Out of these 12 States, which treasure legend do you believe real?, and what would be my percentage if I located it with you, within one day..
You mean on public lands right?
Technically you can’t even detect or dig on public lands to find them in the first place…

Are you not allowed to keep treasures found on private property
 
You mean on public lands right?
Technically you can’t even detect or dig on public lands to find them in the first place…

Are you not allowed to keep treasures found on private property
All I know is Michigan doesn't recognize a treasure trove doctrine, but some states do..
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250913-182149.Google~2.webp
    Screenshot_20250913-182149.Google~2.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20250913-182331.Google~2.webp
    Screenshot_20250913-182331.Google~2.webp
    60.5 KB · Views: 65
You mean on public lands right?
Technically you can’t even detect or dig on public lands to find them in the first place…

Are you not allowed to keep treasures found on private property
All I know is Michigan doesn't recognize a treasure trove doctrine, some other states do.
The Smithsonian takes it I think..
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250913-182149.Google~2.webp
    Screenshot_20250913-182149.Google~2.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20250913-182331.Google~2.webp
    Screenshot_20250913-182331.Google~2.webp
    60.5 KB · Views: 80
All I know is Michigan doesn't recognize a treasure trove doctrine, some other states do.
The Smithsonian takes it I think..
I read that If found on private property, it belongs to the property owner, weather they knew about it or not..

But one shouldn’t be hunting private property without permission, it’s criminal trespassing…

But they are indeed very harsh about public land, and any native finds on public or private property…
 
If you can't keep the objects you find , what do "they" do with them? Is it ava. to the public to view them ? Or do "they" store them at "their home for "their collections ?
If native they give to local tribe, regardless of private/public land. If European on private land they have no claim unless it was stolen, then the State takes it if original owners can’t… if one finds something on public lands not open to detecting (99.9% of lands) The State takes it and assigns an archaeologist to the find/site…At least that’s the way I understand it..,

I know many posts I’ve seen on here people hunting in Michigan are on the wrong side of the law, with some spectacular finds… People traveling from out west to hunt our UP, finds from the 1600s, and many copper tools, spears, arrow heads…
 
Getting back to original question.

Out of these 12 States, which treasure legend do you believe real?, and what would be my percentage if I located it with you, within one day..

There is two questions within one question.


1: Out of these 12 States, which treasure legend do you believe real? Are Your asking about treasure legends of these 12 states because they are perceived legal to search for them? There is no state or country on the planet with out legal implications one way or another. I guarantee you. You find treasure and go public you will get claims coming out of the woodwork chasing easy money. Out of twelve states treasure legends probably about 98% are just urban legends. However in that 2 percent range there are stories that might hold some promise. However that depends on where they are sited on private or state land and not is covered over by modern development. Which complexes the issue even more.

2: and what would be my percentage if I located it with you, within one day? Why with in one day? What percentage would you expect. Rule of thumb if the search for treasure on private property you have to cut a deal with land owner. That can have complex issues to resolve. usually 50 / 50 split with landowner and searcher bares the cost and remedial work for any excavation. The cost and time and effort is on the searcher. negotiations can be complex. Even with 50% return for example of party of treasure hunters what percentage would be yours. Depending on how much time and effort you actually contributed to a successful recovery as part of the team. It comes down to how much risk your exposing yourself too. If your not contributing to the project financially or putting ones life at risk. Or not having any personal liability if anything goes wrong or being physically at the dig site or active in negotiation for access granted by the landowner. You cannot expect a large share from the effort.

And whats this one day? does that mean your guaranteeing you can find treasure in one day? I do not understand that. Will you take any final responsibility for monetary costs if your assertions are proved to be incorrect. All of these factors should be considered.

Crow
 
Getting back to original question.

Out of these 12 States, which treasure legend do you believe real?, and what would be my percentage if I located it with you, within one day..

There is two questions within one question.


1: Out of these 12 States, which treasure legend do you believe real? Are Your asking about treasure legends of these 12 states because they are perceived legal to search for them? There is no state or country on the planet with out legal implications one way or another. I guarantee you. You find treasure and go public you will get claims coming out of the woodwork chasing easy money. Out of twelve states treasure legends probably about 98% are just urban legends. However in that 2 percent range there are stories that might hold some promise. However that depends on where they are sited on private or state land and not is covered over by modern development. Which complexes the issue even more.

2: and what would be my percentage if I located it with you, within one day? Why with in one day? What percentage would you expect. Rule of thumb if the search for treasure on private property you have to cut a deal with land owner. That can have complex issues to resolve. usually 50 / 50 split with landowner and searcher bares the cost and remedial work for any excavation. The cost and time and effort is on the searcher. negotiations can be complex. Even with 50% return for example of party of treasure hunters what percentage would be yours. Depending on how much time and effort you actually contributed to a successful recovery as part of the team. It comes down to how much risk your exposing yourself too. If your not contributing to the project financially or putting ones life at risk. Or not having any personal liability if anything goes wrong or being physically at the dig site or active in negotiation for access granted by the landowner. You cannot expect a large share from the effort.

And whats this one day? does that mean your guaranteeing you can find treasure in one day? I do not understand that. Will you take any final responsibility for monetary costs if your assertions are proved to be incorrect. All of these factors should be considered.

Crow
Is it age of the metal money that would make it being categorized as treasure or is it usually the amount? For example if it is more than 10 ounces, mostly Gold, is that enough amount to designate it a Treasure in some of these states? Thanks
 
The definitions of law of treasure trove in the United States varies from state to state Paper money is also deemed to be treasure trove since it previously represented gold silver diamonds etc..

In order for a finder of property to have a valid claim of ownership over the lost property he or she found, the finder must be lawfully on the property where the lost property is located. Trespassing on private property is a crime in all fifty states. Definitions of treasure varies from state to state.

An Act for the Preservation of American Antiquities (Antiquities Act) was signed into law on June 8th, 1906. The Act was the first U.S. law to provide general legal protection of cultural and natural resources of historic or scientific interest on federal lands.
What is the legal definition of antiquity? Antiquity means any man-made object, fossil, human remains, or evidence of human burials, which has a reasonable likelihood of being determined by any Governmental Authority to be of historical value and require preservation.
The age that defines "antiquity" isn't a single, fixed period, but rather a broad, flexible time frame usually preceding the Middle Ages, and specifically the classical period of antiquity is often set between the 8th century BC and the 5th century AD. The specific dates can vary depending on the region and academic context, as the end of antiquity was a gradual process.

An artifact is an object that is made by a human being, typically for a specific purpose or use. It can range from a simple tool to a complex machine and can be made from a variety of materials such as stone, metal, wood, or clay. Artifacts can be found in archaeological sites, museums, or even in our own homes. They provide us with valuable insights into the lives and cultures of people from the past.

An antique is a collectible item that is at least 100 years old and has value because of its age, rarity, and historical significance. Antiques can include furniture, jewelry, art, and other decorative objects. They are often sought after by collectors and enthusiasts who appreciate their craftsmanship and unique qualities. The value of an antique can vary depending on its condition, provenance, and current market demand.

There is a lot legal grey areas And it was made that way so lawyers can make money from any such claims.

Crow
 
And whats this one day? does that mean your guaranteeing you can find treasure in one day? I do not understand that. Will you take any final responsibility for monetary costs if your assertions are proved to be incorrect. All of these factors should be considered.

Crow
That's what one day means, if I don't signal the supposed lost treasure in the first day, why would it be there the second or third?
 
In Michigan you should be able to hunt private property and arrange a split. And even if treasure found on public lands belongs 100% to the state, why not go for it and test your skills? You can always use a successful find as evidence to offer when negotiating a contract. Or do you already have successful recoveries? And Crow is right, the vast majority of treasure lore is fake. 98% is about right.

And whats this one day? does that mean your guaranteeing you can find treasure in one day?
Look at his username. He believes his dowsing skills can locate a treasure in a day.
 
In Michigan you should be able to hunt private property and arrange a split. And even if treasure found on public lands belongs 100% to the state, why not go for it and test your skills? You can always use a successful find as evidence to offer when negotiating a contract. Or do you already have successful recoveries? And Crow is right, the vast majority of treasure lore is fake. 98% is about right.


Look at his username. He believes his dowsing skills can locate a treasure in a day.
I checked all the Treasure lore around me, no success. I'm talking about real treasure that I have signaled, but can't have..
There is Silver treasure on South Manitou Island, I can't have it, because Michigan doesn't have a Treasure Trove Doctrine .
I have 3 other treasure spots in Arizona, if I get back I will pursue..
 
I checked all the Treasure lore around me, no success.
Most of that stuff is fake. To find a real treasure you have to do real research, dig into Historical Society journals and old newspapers. Probably won't be found in anything Thomas P. Terry or WC Jameson wrote. Another strategy is treasure-by-luck. Lots of individuals have buried small-medium caches that are undocumented. It was common during and after the Great Depression but was done quite often even long before then. Probably every county in every state has these. Unless someone in the family knows about it, they are usually stumbled on by luck. I know a guy who found a stash of silver dollars, the life savings of someone who went off to the Pacific theater in WW2 and didn't return. I know another guy who found gobs of silver (coins & bars) in the ruins of an abandoned house that burned down. These were in adjacent counties in Oregon.
 
I've read and researched and Dowsed some of Thomas P Terry's treasure book stories.
I probably put in more time on them than other people, all I have to do is get close..
Here is a couple pages in Arizona.
My Michigan book is like that..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250914_161407697_HDR.webp
    IMG_20250914_161407697_HDR.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20250914_161413842_HDR.webp
    IMG_20250914_161413842_HDR.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
All I know is Michigan doesn't recognize a treasure trove doctrine, but some states do..
Yeah I’m sure New York will let you keep it 😂😂😂
 
I've read and researched and Dowsed some of Thomas P Terry's treasure book stories.
The joke with a lot of treasure hunters is: If it's in Thomas Terry's Treasure Atlas, it's probably fake.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom