Triangular Military Badges

on.off

Aug 1, 2014
new york city
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found this group a thrift store recently and have been unable to figure out what nation or branch of service they are. made of silver with cobalt blue enamel, each is about 1 1/8" to a side. no hallmarks or maker's marks of any kind. from the construction i don't think they are US. they are possibly asian. the style of engraving under the enamel reminds of me of jewelry made in Siam. any thoughts appreciated...

military.jpg

I’m thinking something like a corporation or company structured like the military,like maybe an airline or something.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about this thread as well, and will keep an eye on it.
It sure does seem military, or related - the chevron and stripes perhaps indicating rank, and the stars serving as accouterments / ribbon devices.

Upvote 0
Could also be law enforcement rank insignia, but I didn't turn anything up.

I know they're not USAF, USN, USMC, USA, USCG. Looked at CAP, JR ROTC, ROTC, Sea Cadets, USMA with no hits.

The first one had me leaning towards Enlisted rank insignia due to the chevron, but the other two had me leaning towards Officer rank insignia. But I haven't been able to find a match as of yet.

Upvote 0
Maybe some type of sweetheart or "son in service" pin? The one star represents one son. If Navy the one chevron would stand for Petty officer third class. The single bar would stand for Ensign and the two uneven sized bars stand for Lieutenant Junior Grade. Maybe from the same sailor as he advanced in rank although it was rare for an enlisted man to become an officer.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your efforts in researching these! I’m usually pretty good at ID and research, even if something isn’t familiar off the top of my head. I hadn’t seen anything like these before, and I spent at least an hour trying every search I could think of.

I’m not certain they are from Siam, the way the metal is carved/scored under the enamel reminded me of all that sterling enamel jewelry that they churned out over there for the tourist trade.

The construction is OK but not superb. The hinge holding the pin stem and the catch are simple and handmade (vs sturdier machine made findings seen on pieces from the US and some other nations). They are not very substantial in weight. The stars are attached with rudimentary bent wire posts. So I assumed they came from a nation that was less sophisticated in manufacturing technology at the time (I’m more knowledgeable in jewelry than military pieces, so I’m looking at these through that lens).

Upvote 0
Closest I've found is Russian Naval Cadet ranks, scroll through the whole page, you'll see 1 and 2 bars with a star and a little further down you'll see a single chevron with a star. Now the ones they show are the shoulder board style.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/sovi...rank-insignia-soviet-navy-1943-year-285204-2/

So it's possible they are Eastern European or another country with Soviet influence.

This is a good find and the closest I have seen so far. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back