Trip to Plantation Slave House

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Well, Saturday myself, Mastereagle22 and camb1 all got together and went to check out a slave house (still standing) that is on some private property ME22's relatives own.

Here is a picture of the house:

100_3783.jpg

Looks Good Eh? There were lots of vines and limbs which made it hard to detect, but we did manage to find a couple things. I myself found a few modern bullets, lots of shell casings and a very crude button. I also found a What's It kind of tag that would have been attached to something. (I have this posted on the Whatz-It forum.) Here is a picture of the button I found fairly close to the old slave house:

100_3785.jpg

100_3765.jpg

Here is the thing I have posted on the Whatz-It forum. If you know...shout out to me.

100_3778.jpg

100_3779.jpg

In closing I would like to touch on a DANGER that some of you might encounter while hunting locations like this near a road. If you see this, Stay Clear!. These things run wild and if you let your attention waver...you could be putting yourself in peril. Luckily, this one was wrapped in red....so I saw it coming.

100_3783.jpg

Mastereagle22 is on the loose!!!

Attachments

• 100_3768.jpg
    100_3768.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 768
  • 100_3785.jpg
    100_3785.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baldingboy said:
In closing I would like to touch on a DANGER that some of you might encounter while hunting locations like this near a road. If you see this, Stay Clear!. These things run wild and if you let your attention waver...you could be putting yourself in peril. Luckily, this one was wrapped in red....so I saw it coming.
Mastereagle22 is on the loose!!!
LMAO

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
What a cool looking site to hunt. Good luck on that tag ID. Old for sure.
As far as that last picture, VERY SCARY!!! :o Just in time for Halloween though. ;)
Sounds like you guys make a great team.
Congrats,
MM

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Neat looking site... Maybe it will be a bit more open later in the year...
Sorry, not a clue on the item in question..
Good luck on the ID, & Happy hunting~

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I tried to take a picture of BB but everytime I did my camera shut off! :D ;D

To be totally honest with you I took BB to this place as pay back for the last "BIG" hunt we went on to his site that was going to be "awesome".!!! ;D :D :D ;)

And not to put to fine a point on things (and I hate to correct BB) the house that is standing was built in 1920 and was lived in until the early 1960s. The foundation area you see just in front of the standing (sort-of) house was where the slave shack was from 1832 until just after 1900. The slaves, once emancipated, stayed and continued to work the Planatation. An intersting side note to the story is that the house that is still standing was built on stones taken from the original plantation homes foundation! Another interesting story I have been told involves gold and some spinsters but that is for another post.

I did take a group of kids from the Children of the American Revolution to the site the following day and talked to them about our hobby and how it can be used to help recover lost history. I then let each of them run my Deleon. Two of them found parts to a pocket watch and two more found some square nails, all the others found scrap iron and barbed wire. BB and I are DEFINETELY going back to this place!!!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome spot to hunt-you can almost feel the history oozing out at you there. It looks as if there's something written on the bottom of the tag. Can you make out what it says?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB. . . that looks like a really cool place! There's gotta be some nice stuff there.

Now, on you're "whatz-it". . .
That definitely looks like a vintage prototype for the FIRST monogramed zipper-pull :o (Don't let ME22 see that!)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
These places look promising but are hard to hunt and sometimes produce little. Not to discourage you - you never know. Sometimes it takes a few visits to really get a "feel" for the site and weather or not it's worth hunting. Good luck.

Bob

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff,you two keep us laughing.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg that house is so cool looking. I see ya posted its owned by me's relatives....did ya get to go inside it? or is it in that bad of shape?? it would neat as heck to redo that house and actually have it as a living space or a historical place to visit...either way I love it...I would love to see more pictures of that house... neat neat neat ....to me it just looks beautiful...I know, am nuts....

any chance ya can get more pictures of it..I dearly would love to see em

rae

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
bootybay said:
omg that house is so cool looking. I see ya posted its owned by me's relatives....did ya get to go inside it? or is it in that bad of shape?? it would neat as heck to redo that house and actually have it as a living space or a historical place to visit...either way I love it...I would love to see more pictures of that house... neat neat neat ....to me it just looks beautiful...I know, am nuts....

any chance ya can get more pictures of it..I dearly would love to see em

rae

I will take some pictures the next time we are out there. There really isn't much inside and my father-in-law is planning on having the thing bulldozed! The first time I went out to the site the chimney for the slave house was still standing but they have pushed it down since my first visit!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few of those "danger" things while hunting. What you have to remember is whatever you do, don't feed them! And for the love of all that is holy, do not give them any zipper pulls. You'll never get them to leave if you do that. :D ;D ;)

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
watercolor said:
BB. . . that looks like a really cool place! There's gotta be some nice stuff there.

Now, on you're "whatz-it". . .
That definitely looks like a vintage prototype for the FIRST monogramed zipper-pull :o (Don't let ME22 see that!)

LMAO! ;D ;D ;D

good one, watercolor!

HH
Nan

p.s.
BB - can you tell what the letters are on the bottom of the uh - the whatzit?

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re the whatzit - something to do with "Motorola," maybe?

And I'd swear that there's a date on that thing... May sumpin' or other

cool find

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Thanks for the responses you all. I appreciate each and every one of you! Yes...even the red scary guy.

Here is what I CAN read under magnification.

whitescindy.JPG whitescindy1.JPG

Anyone know how to bring out the date? I believe this is copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread