Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! I finally got my teenage son to go back out metal detecting with me today at the old park I've talked about in my First Siliver! post ( http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/632853-first-silver-coin-equinox.html ).

We only found one coin, a 1977 penny, but we found a couple of other very interesting items.
The first is a plated spoon from the Stratford Silver Company. I can't find the pattern online but I'm guessing that it dates to the early 1900's since this park is the site of an old camp/club from the 20's/30's.

The other interesting find is what appears to be the badge (?) off of a beer tap, which says "Trommer's All Malt & Hops" and has a blue star on it. Some searching lead us to learn that this is from the Trommer’s Evergreen Brewery founded by John F. Trommer in Brooklyn, NY in 1897. This brewery produced beer (and "near beer" during Prohibition) between 1897 and 1951, which overlaps with the timeframe of the camp/club.
I can't find many images of even a similar badge online, though one ebay listing calls this brand "rare". (If anyone's a beer memorabilia expert please share additional info).

At the bottom I've included a picture of all the coins we've found and the spoon and badge.
There's still more park to search, though I haven't found a silver coin during the last few trips so I'm thinking that I've found the "easy" stuff. (The badge was found in the prickers and off the beaten path. Unfortunately in that same area - which is near where an old tennis court was - there are also lots of those tennis ball can lids, which ring up in the 23-24 range on the Equinox...just like coins. I didn't take a picture of all the trash I've pulled out of the park....)

Anyway, thanks for looking!

S7y2RbI.jpg zLRcR8f.jpg

GzfGwVa.jpg

hlhc9Nl.jpg

Brian

Upvote 7

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spoon and the badge are pretty nice finds, It takes time and work to pull the goodies out looks like a good spot to hunt Glad your Son went with you. He will also love this hobby soon enough. Happy Memorial Day.......Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.

The Stratford Silver Co. was a trademark used by Holmes & Edwards (established 1882) and they initially made low-priced plated flatware from their own blanks or by plating blanks from other manufacturers. Around 1893 they acquired the patents of William Warner for inlaying blocks of sterling silver into the main wear points on the back of spoons and forks prior to plating the entire piece. Those superior pieces usually have a “silver inlaid” or some other propriety marking, so I think your spoon will just be standard silver plate.

Holmes & Edwards were taken over by the International Silver Company in 1898, but the Stratford Silver Co. trademark continued to be used. Your spoon pattern is listed (I think) at the top right in the screenshot below, but unfortunately just referred to as “One”, without a date. Your estimate of late 1800s to early 1900s is probably about right.

Stratford.jpg

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.

The Stratford Silver Co. was a trademark used by Holmes & Edwards (established 1882) and they initially made low-priced plated flatware from their own blanks or by plating blanks from other manufacturers. Around 1893 they acquired the patents of William Warner for inlaying blocks of sterling silver into the main wear points on the back of spoons and forks prior to plating the entire piece. Those superior pieces usually have a “silver inlaid” or some other propriety marking, so I think your spoon will just be standard silver plate.

Holmes & Edwards were taken over by the International Silver Company in 1898, but the Stratford Silver Co. trademark continued to be used. Your spoon pattern is listed (I think) at the top right in the screenshot below, but unfortunately just referred to as “One”, without a date. Your estimate of late 1800s to early 1900s is probably about right.

Thank you so much for this information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions