Trouble on ACE

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Hi all!
I'm new on this forum, I'm from Italy. According to the positive rewiews I've read everywhere I Bought an ACE 250 two monts ago. It seemed worth the price since now, founding a lot even at an amazing depht (a large bronze object at 16 inches!!). But just yesterday I've turned it on and...it's gone fool at all!!!! Without any reason, if I swing it on the ground it rings continously and the id cursor bouncing like if my entire yard's all metals made. It does'nt happens on a solid ground like a floor!!
I'll send it back for a warranty repair, but I'm a bit disappointed. I always treat it well, no shakes, no wet, no sand, just some cold maybe, never had any sound on this by rewiews. I just changed exausted batteryes with rechargeable ones at 1500 mh...I wonder if may it be the problem, or not?

Thans all for any reply.

Melvin_it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batteries was the First thing I thought of.

On Minelab Sovereigns when the Batteries Go,
The Tone Goes Loud and it can't be turned down.

I don't know if the Garretts do the same.

It won't hurt to change batteries, & try.
You may want to check all cable connections too.

GOOD LUCK !

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the ace 250s have proven to be pretty reliable, but problems do happen sometimes. one good thing is that garretts service department is really good. they should take care of you. good luck with it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Maybe try non-rechargeables. 1500mh seems a little weak. ??? I use 2650mAh in my camera. The detector (not an ace 250) is non-rechargeables.

OP
OP
melvin_it

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Thanks all again! I knew ther's were a well experienced people here!!
I would'nt try before 'cause I thought the "damage" was pretty done...I'll do, now. Then was since 15 days I changed batteries...Jeff, you make me think it's effectively ringing louder than normally...I feel the handle twisting in the hand!!:-)

Bye,

Melvin_it

OP
OP
melvin_it

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
Well, I tried and it works!!! Dick, yes, it start ringing crazy even with old Alkalines, but since now! It never done so before ??? Anyway, my ACE is back!!

Thanks

Melvin_it

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be careful when replacing batteries. These Lithium jobbies that last a very long time are no good in detectors either. It is a good idea to check each batteries power before inserting it into the detector too.

As long as I've been detecting, I've made the mistake of inserting one battery wrong.

HH,
Sandman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
melvin_it said:
Well, I tried and it works!!! Dick, yes, it start ringing crazy even with old Alkalines, but since now! It never done so before ??? Anyway, my ACE is back!!

Thanks

Melvin_it

awesome! i will have to remember this thread in case my ace ever starts to do the same thing.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
melvin_it said:

Thanks

Melvin_it

That's great, Melvin. Better than waiting for it to come back from Texas. I only recently discovered this myself; always thought I was in a trashy area with all the beeps and dings going on.

Good Luck

Dick

OP
OP
melvin_it

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
All your advise's really helping me, guys, this is a very awesome forum! Hope I'll stay onboard again to share finds and detecting tales with you all!

Good luck All and have a great 2007---BUON ANNO!!!!

Melv

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I engineer fire and burglary systems. We have to provide battery backup, in case of power failure. So let me share something with you.

NiCad (rechargeable), like Alkaline (non-rechargeable) batteries, will hold a full charge to 80% then slowly drop to discharge. The decline is slow to allow many devices (such as smoke detectors) to continue to work while giving a low battery signal for a long time.

Lithium batteries have a different decline rate. They will hold a full charge for 95%, then rapidly drop to discharge.

Which is why, if you use Lithium battery packs, take two.

OP
OP
melvin_it

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
Phantasman said:
Lithium batteries have a different decline rate. They will hold a full charge for 95%, then rapidly drop to discharge.

Which is why, if you use Lithium battery packs, take two.

WoW! So that may be the reason why even batteries power indicator false with lithium ones. I noted it happens on several devices, not only MD.

Thanks, Phantasman, I did'nt really know about it.

Melvin

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to help.

Lithium is a fast charge over other rechargables, which is a plus if you are recharging. But thier charge doesn't hold up as long as their counterparts.

Same with drills or other rechargable Lithium tools. Quick to charge, quick to dischange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread