True Story...I found a Baby!

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just found this thread and wanted to share a story that happened to me and my sister many years ago.

I had just moved from Florida back to Michigan after H.S....I hadn't seen my younger sister in a couple years as she had been living with my Mom and I with my Dad. We were in Ann Arbor having dinner and having So much fun together when we decided to drive through our old neighborhood and reminisce. It was about 1AM. I was driving and we were laughing, talking, etc....as I turned up a sidestreet, a shortcut to our old house, I was astonished to see a Baby sitting in the gutter against the curb of the street!! I drove about 15 feet and looked at my sister and said, "Did you see what I just saw?!!" Was that a Baby right there in the street?...OMG...I threw the car in park...ran back and sure enough! It was a Real Tow-Headed Baby with only a diaper on!! I picked up the baby and thought it might be able to talk, but had to be only a one year old..Smiling and not talking!...

I was only 19yrs old. I told my sister we should go to the only house that had its light on, across the street. I pounded on the door and an old lady answered and started yelling at me. I explained the fact that I had just found this baby and did she know which house had a baby and I would go to their house...Well this old Bi-otch...only was mad that I woke her up and said she was calling the police..."Good!...call them, 'cause I didn't know what to do....So the police show up and Seriously were No help!..The old lady was complaining that I woke her up and I explained how this baby I'm holding was found next to the curb in the gutter...They just stared at me...didn't suggest anything...so I said...I'll just knock on the door in front of where I found the baby...they watched me pound on that door.

Someone finally answered and I asked them if this was their baby...and Why would you people not lock your door so the baby couldn't wander out! It was a foreign guy and he couldn't even speak English...or he was in shock..don't know...but then I heard a grandma type women say "Thank-you" and I gave them the baby. The police just stood there...watching me hand over this baby...did nothing to check if it was really theirs and we left. Honestly, I don't even know if it was theirs, but figure the next morning if someone was missing a baby, they would have worked it out and the police would have sorted it out!...Geez, I still wonder about that cute little baby...I was so young and thought someone would have a brain-cell to figure the situation out, other than me, but they actually let me decide what to do and I still don't know if it was the right thing to do.

So this would have to be my "Best Find"...I found a Baby.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why throw out a perfectly baby :dontknow: They could have easily gotten at least $5.00 selling it in a yard sale :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny...not sure the "Finders Keepers" rule would have applied here...:) When my sister and I were little we were always bringing home lost kittens and the occasional puppy. My Mom would have been shocked if we walked in the door with a baby..."Hey Mom!...Look what We found! Can we keep it"?...:)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, brought a ton of strays home too :laughing7: Even helped nurse some sick birds on occasion. OK some didn't make it, but we tried anyway

S

stefen

You did the right thing even though the police were clueless...

Think of what may have happened if the baby had crawled to tottled into the road and was hit by a car...

You rescued a child and should be complimented...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You rescued a child and should be complimented...

Nope, I say sell it at a flea market. Heck, E-Bay would even be better, I can't imagine where the bidding war would end. Only problem would be shipping the tot :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Stefen...I am glad we found the little one and have thought how lucky he/she didn't get further into the street...or get stuck in some bushes overnight..etc

I sometimes think if this had happened to me now, I'd know what to do...but, not the case. Sometimes we are just put places at certain times and are able to help.

Ironically, My sister and I were driving to a coffee shop 2 years ago in Calif. and passed through a road construction zone..very dark...We saw a bicycle wheel sticking up from the side of the road and decided to stop...I ran up the road and there was a college age kid laying in the road and not moving! I thought he was dead and of course called an ambulance. Before the ambulance got there I saw his arm move but still I couldn't go up to him, just said help is on the way...the ambulance got there and turned out he had a severe concussion. After a month of his recovery, he and my sister and I had a chance to meet and he's doing fine now. Boy, that was a scary night!

So you never know...it pays to check out unusual situations...we felt so good for saving this kid too...:)

MinerGirl

Last edited:
S

stefen

Many good deeds go unnoticed, yet there is a self-reward knowing you as a person, did right...

In Hebrew, its called a mitzvah...a word of many definitions; such as a commandment, a connection, moral deed...a good deed...
(and many givers of mitzvah's remains in the shadows)

And yes, for whatever reason, you were at there at those places for a reason...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Yankeegirl73 and Stefen, The Self-reward was plenty for us. I forgot to add that this "bike accident" happened on Halloween night. As I secured the kids bike and talking to the policeman, I saw a Hub Cap 4 feet from where the kid was, I told the policeman he needs to take a picture and take the hub cap because this kid could have been hit by a car! He looked at me and laughed and said, "So you're a detective now"?...and I said, "So you guys don't watch T.V."? "Aren't you supposed to do that"? Anyway, they gave the kid a ticket! even though the construction zone had no lighting and there was a big dug out groove along the curb where even If the kid wasn't hit, he probably hit the 2 inch lip on the curb edge and wiped out, trying to get to the bike path...Who knows, I'm just glad he's OK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions