Trying to decide. I need some input from experienced users

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Ok I have detected for almost 10 years and in that time I have never owned a NEW machine. I know big deal right?

The problem is I have really let my research on what is out there slide since I wasn't in the market until recently again.

I use an Explorer II at the moment and it has been a darn good machine.

My quandry is simple. E-Trac or Explorer SE Pro?

Which one and why would you recommend it? I am getting older and the thought of learning a new machine causes me a little concern. How have those of you who have had a while with the E-trac now found it to be as far a learning curve etc? Are there programs available that you can put into the machine and be detecting a short time after getting the machine or is it something you have to totally relearn? How much different from the Explorer is the machine.

I want you to understand I HAVE researched this and I have read a lot of articles. What I am hoping you all can provide is "real-life" examples and advice on this. It has taken me 3 years to convince my wife to "allow" me to buy a new machine. Now I don't want to mess it up. And the money invested is a huge deal to me too. So please if you can, help me out.

Thanks in advance.

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used E-Trac for a while now, I consider myself an expert as I dig signals other won't. I know better. I have learned what this machine tells me. I have dug large cents that read 25-47, because it is right next to iron so the reading is being obscured. The key is obviously SOUND. Sound is more important than any number the machine will give you. The numbers are there to give you an idea of what it can be. I am also a Minelab dealer so I can give you alot of information.

www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com

E-Trac has a slightly shorter learning curve then Explorer SE Pro, both get the same depth. One thing to remember is to NEVER use the standard search mode. Most companies put these in there to pacify people with the discrimination capabilities, but what it is really doing is making you miss fringe targets.
The main thing I do on E-Trac is us the Quick Mask and adjust the iron mask to the site. I hit colonial sites so mine is pretty low. Like any other machine you can have your sensitivity to high and do more harm then good. I could talk at length about the E-Trac but that is easier in person or on the phone then the computer. So look at the website and call if you need more.

John

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Again let me STRESS.

I have done a lot of research. What I am trying to find is actual people who have used the E-trac and get your input on what you like and dislike about the E-trac.

I am not some lazy person afraid to do the work to discover what I need to about machines. So please don't think that of me. I just want to hear from those of you who have the machine.

Thanks.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing I see here is that you are comparing about the same thing between the two , and yes they are not the same machine . But when it comes down between the two you really have to look at what each one excels at and what you want to do . And the price of course .

But either machine will be a great machine and do what you want to do, and that is detect .

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably won't find too many people with lots of experience that have switched from the Explorer to E-trac because they are smart enough not to waste the money when they have a great detector. I personally wouldn't trade my Explorer for an E-trac and $500 cash, because what I have works as good as I can possibly imagine a Minelab working. You'll read MANY accounts of how great the E-trac is, but near 100% are from new users who don't have years on an explorer and have only tackled the basics and of course an E-trac is going to beat the hell out of the bounty hunter they just had. You have to look at a metal detector as a tool and not to let that warm fuzzy feeling of something new persuade you to spend the money because you really don't get much more other than that feeling. New detectors are ok but new sites is what rock!

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
IP I HAVE to do something, My EX II is broken and it will cost more than it's worth to fix it.

:-(

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Larry,Burdie(Stan) is using an Etrac now.You might want to check with him.I won't give you my opinion because I haven't used either machine,just have read all the different posts on them and usually the poster is prejudice to his unit,so????

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
IP I HAVE to do something, My EX II is broken and it will cost more than it's worth to fix it.

:-(

Well then I think the SE would be the obvious choice if you're buying new because you already know how to use it.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was considering buying the etrac last summer when my explorer II died. But after a ton of research and talking to guys I ended up getting another explorer II. Its a tough decision and one that you will have to make for yourself. But I think Iron Patch hit the nail on the head in his first responce. Best of luck reaching a decision.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I think you should get a National Geographic detector like this:

ng detector.jpg

Hope this helped. :wink:

Your Loyal hunting partner....Baldingboy :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ummm I believe I asked for input from EXPERIENCED users BB. Not some wanna be half-dime finding upstart :laughing9:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
my suggestion used explorer, no better detector for the money in the marked. :icon_thumleft:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't used either machine, though the reputation of both is nothing short of incredible.

But doesn't the weight of those detectors wear you out after a couple of hours?

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
It takes a while to get used to the weight of the Ex I won't deny that.

the E-trac is so much better designed and the pro coil makes it so much lighter. I will have no problems swinging the E-trac all day long............ that is if I can find places to use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread