What's new

✅ SOLVED Trying to help identify this item ..anybody know what it is?

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,351
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
"Hi, what I found is 7/8 of an inch tall, and 3/4 of an
inch across the larger bottom. I found
it while metal detecting near the ruins of horse stables in Newport, Rhode
Island, on the grounds of where an estate used to be, near the ocean. It weighs .24 ounces and their are no special
markings as far as I can tell. I am not
sure of type metal though, but their is small amounts of white on it, which can
be scratched off like chalk. The pictures are attached below, and thank you in
advance for your help."
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.56.08 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.56.08 AM.webp
    142.6 KB · Views: 84
Could be a tapered bushing mount for almost anything, assuming it's brass, or steel, or cast iron.
Jim
 
Upvote 0
Chalky white corrosion and light weight make me think aluminum. If the hole goes all the way through, I'm thinking chair/furniture leg foot.
 
Upvote 0
Corrosion looks like zinc, at least that's how it corrodes in the dirt here in Ohio.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could it be some kind of counter weight for small items?
 
Upvote 0
Is it possibly a sacrificial zinc anode, off of someone's small boat?

zinc.webp
 
Upvote 0
I believe Kray nailed it too! Nice ID! Unusual find..
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom