Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A different kind of question

A long time ago I read a book about an indian, I believe he was Sioux and it followed his life from a pre contact boy up to his life on a reservation. He talks of sitting bull and red cloud, mentions the ghost dance and the buffalo woman. He talks about his time on a reservation and his conversion to Christianity... I’ve been trying to remember the title. I really want to say it’s a sort of response to black elk speaks, I thought maybe black elk speaks was it but I just reread that it’s not, I’ve got bury my heart at wounded knee but looking at the chapters I don’t think that was it either. Does anybody know the title book I’m trying to find? I’m pretty sure I gave it to somebody so I can’t just look through my books.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was is about "Black Elk" ? I do not recall that in bury my heart at wounded knee. But I need to dust it off read that again as it has been years.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was but I’m not sure, because in black elk speaks he didn’t seem to interact with the same people.... I remember red cloud was a lot bigger influence and I don’t remember that much mention of crazy horse. Kind of the opposite of black elk... I’ve been looking off and on for a few weeks for this book but I just can’t seem to recall enough detail.

I might be mixing info but I seem to remember someone claiming black elk was a romanticized account and it was a more historically accurate version or complement to black elk speaks

I ordered the sixth grandfather for that reason but that isn’t it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered one of the red cloud books by McDermott... I’m halfway done reading it... the book I am thinking of is definitely about red cloud, not black elk, but “red cloud Oglala legend” is almost a summary of the book I’m remembering, which is told more from the view of red cloud. But it’s a step on the right track the stories and names are familiar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread