davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi...and your name would be?...and you hunt with a?...and you're located?...

Try introducing yourself first. You might get more responses that way.

OP
OP
T

towile

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2009
I'm so sorry about that. I'm from Oklahoma, have never hunted for anything...but knew an individual who spent some time checking out an old supposedly... stage coach robbery about 1900 up toward Eloy. He made a trip back in 1970's. He didn't find anything but left me some words about it and stirs my curiosity since I'm getting into the retirement age. it would be a challenge to find out more if possible about the area before making a trip there myself. Thanks for leading me into unknown territory.

jerrync

Aug 26, 2006
archdale N.C.
welcome to t-net have you tried the az forum might find something there about it maybbe ask there too someone there might know about it

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
This might sound like a dumb question but why the interest? was their a recorded bullion that was stolen and never recovered. Where the thiefs caught or killed before spending the cash. Keep in mind that alot of stories are just that stories. can you get any records from the archives that may support a hunt.

sasnz

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sasnz is right: most of these "stage coach robberies" and "lost mines" are just embellished stories, superstition, etc.... Based perhaps in a kernal of truth, but then gone-wild. How many more "dying miners crawling into a wild-west saloon, the last survivor of an indian attack, reveals a lost mine, *just* before he dies" can you take? The problem with robbery stories, is someone gets on old 1880s newspaper microfilm and reads that "The loot was not recovered", and makes the automatic assumption that "it's not recovered". But you have to remember, the person writing that article back then was at the whims of whomever he was getting his info from. Who's to say it wasn't recovered and spent by either the crooks, or the posse that chased them and *claimed* not to have found it? Do you really think that if Joe Blow that same year went out and found it, that he'd be making a followup article "I found it"?

But it doesn't do any good. The human psyche wants SO hard to believe in treasure lore (so as not to be "left out"), that we accept any written sources as gospel truth. Afterall, it's in writing, "so it must be true"? Having worked on plenty of police evidence and stolen loot recovery cases, and then subsequently reading the articles in the next day's newspaper, I can tell you that .........100 yrs. from now, a lot of assumptions are going to be based on stories, where whatever got there, passed through the filter of whomever was telling the paper. It could only have been worse back in the 1880s/90s when sensationalism sold newspapers.

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
Not sure of that one but when I lived in Phoenix, heard tales of a stagecoach strongbox somewhere by 'Saddle Mountain' near Tonopah. Also, many stories of high-graded gold stashes from the Vulture mine in the hills near Wickenburg..

Mike

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it's on the internet so it must be true :icon_jokercolor:

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good point indeed.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
"Also, many stories of high-graded gold stashes from the Vulture mine in the hills near Wickenburg.."

I have a sister that lives about 1 mile from the Vulture Mine. Would be interested in those stories!

P

pippinwhitepaws

arizona is full of nasty little events that some how have fallen from history...
eloy was a rough place to hang until about, well..i still wouldnt hang there...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom: You posted -->

It could only have been worse back in the 1880s/90s when sensationalism sold newspapers
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm, just what sells them and TV news today ? Certainly not thte truth.

Don Jose de La Mancha (El modern Till Eulenspiegle)

OP
OP
T

towile

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2009
Yes, you are all right, the mind doesn't want to let a chance of a treasure get away without spending time thinking about finding it.
A friend of mine...dead now...was in prison in California with..."a very old Mexican dude who died of pneumonia in prison"...who robbed the Tucson stage southwest of Eloy, hid the saddlebags, got caught and died in prison. Good story...I suppose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread