traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I handloaded a great deal I used walnut shell media to tumble brass.Don,t know why it wouldn,t work for coins.
Walnut grits I use a lot for finishing touches on some things. But if just for coin star why do you not just soak them in lemon juice and baking soda something similar.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a rock tumbler with coarse aquarium gravel, vinegar, and laundry soap as the media.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquarium gravel, CLR, vinegar and a splash of Dawn dish soap in a rock tumbler is what I do, it works great. That reminds me I need to do a load of coins thanks for the reminder.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a suggestion for tumbler media for prepping filthy clad coins for the coinstar?
Thanks.
I know of people that would go to walmart and buy the steel Wham-o ball bearings and use that. They told me it worked fantastic with a bit of DAWN SOAP IN with a bit of water

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dawn soap and aquarium gravel is what I use.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Forget the gravel. Fill the barrel 1/2 to 2/3rds full with just coins. Do the cent coins seperate. Fill the barrel up to the coin level with lemon juice. Add a couple tablespoons of salt and tumble for about 45 minutes. Rinse with COLD water! Rinsing with warm or hot water will allow the coins to turn rainbow colors from the dark blueish tainted lemon juice.

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use gravel from my driveway and will throw in a lead fishing weight or two. Wash coins for two short cycles (one to two hours) with gravel, water, and dawn soap. (Rinse each time.) Final wash is gravel and a big splash of limeaway overnight. Last rinse and then dry on fireplace. Make sure pennies are not mixed in with quarters, dimes, and nickels.

I dump dirty water into a large white plastic laundry sink from Lowes which stains badly. Bar Keeper's Friend, a powder, cleans the sink very nicely.

Last edited:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Back when I handloaded a great deal I used walnut shell media to tumble brass.Don,t know why it wouldn,t work for coins.
A rice would do the same job, could finish up with baking soda for a nice polish.

Screenshot from 2022-02-07 18-26-41.png

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I handload and have lots of that, doesn't do much to clean up clad for some reason.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great responses, much appreciated! I'd just run 'em dirty except the coin machine is in my credit union and it's free. I just don't want them to remove it because it's getting filled with nasty looking clad. :laughing7:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have a suggestion for tumbler media for prepping filthy clad coins for the coinstar?
Thanks.
I have used sorted/sifted volcanic mudflow. It is very glassy and sharp but breaks down quickly
It really did the job
1/4” or 3/8” or even 1/2” size should do

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquarium gravel, CLR, vinegar and a splash of Dawn dish soap in a rock tumbler is what I do, it works great. That reminds me I need to do a load of coins thanks for the reminder.
Same here, but, at this point, I may need a cement mixer! :laughing7:

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used sorted/sifted volcanic mudflow. It is very glassy and sharp but breaks down quickly
It really did the job
1/4” or 3/8” or even 1/2” size should do
I tried using pumice that came from some volcano in Arizona. Once I managed to get it down to gravel size, it quickly broke down into basically sand in the tumbler. I wasn't too impressed with how it cleaned. I may try it again.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the stainless steel pins for tumbling brass in a rock tumbler. A couple hours with some LemiShine dishwasher additive and the brass comes out looking better than new. I would think that zincolns and old coppers would be just a little softer than brass, maybe? So tumbling for an hour may get the job done.

Anyhow...my two cents on cleaning cents. 🤣🤣🤣

--Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread