tungston carbide inserts

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been watching it myself. Lately it seems to be around $8.00 a pound. They like to get at least 40 pounds shipped to them in a flat rate box. Well taped and stuffed. I try to send about 55 to 60 pounds at a time. If using a flat rate box, it is the cheapest way to go. I put the inserts in heavy plastic Gatorade or other drink bottles. it ships well. They just cut them open with a razor knife. If you ship 50 pounds or so, they will usually reimburse you for the shipping.

HF!

Bob

BeerBelly

May 6, 2008
Nevada
I don't know, but I'm hoping to find out out!
(I thought it was some sort of material used for making or coating drill bits?)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tungsten Carbide inserts are used in machining harder metals like stainless steels. They are usually mounted in some type of holder(insert drills,turning tools,etc.). They tend to be brittle and chip out. What you're probably looking for are used inserts from machine shops or production shops.

wedwes

Greenie
Aug 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Tungsten carbide inserts are recovered from scrap mining bits by treatment in a sulphuric acid bath to eat away part of the steel surrounding the inserts and then heating the bit and vibrating the heated bit to knock out the inserts. In a modification used on cross-type bits, heat and vibration alone are used.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
Tungsten carbide inserts are recovered from scrap mining bits by treatment in a sulphuric acid bath to eat away part of the steel surrounding the inserts and then heating the bit and vibrating the heated bit to knock out the inserts. In a modification used on cross-type bits, heat and vibration alone are used.

thanks, that is a bit out of my capabilities, lawn ornaments I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread